Memories

Impact

"Oh wow...that's cool" she whispered as she stepped closer to the table. It was a school fair that sold school supplies, pencils, books and etc. She peered over the red clothed table with her hands pressing into it. He stepped closer to her and saw her amusement at such plastic goodies. 

"These are all pencils and stuff. That's not cool at all" he stated as he picked up a pencil with a smiley face on it and dropped it hastily. 

She pouted and tugged on his arm. "No, I'm talking about that" she gestured as she pointed to the bunches of keychains filled up in a plastic container. He furrowed his brows and shuffled through the pile. "Eh, all of them are okay" he mumbled.

"Hehe, this one is cute" she giggled to herself as she picked up a pink heart keychain that glowed everytime you pressed into it. He dug into the pile deeper and pulled out a pair of keychains. "Hey! I like this one" he stated as he handed one of the two to her.

"It's just a red shoe" she turned it around and examined the features. It was a plain red converse sneaker keychain that even had a shoe lace to tie it with. "Yeah but I like it because there's one for me and one for you"

"Hmm?"

"It's a pair of shoes, you dummy. So I'll take one shoe and you take the other."

"W-Why?"

"It's good luck. So whenever you have trouble or in need of help, just turn to that shoe" he explained.

She pouted. That's not true. I didn't even get into the same middle school as you. We won't see each other" She was on the verge of tears as she recalled the memory of her opening the letter that denied the access of her going to the same middle school as him. She regretted it so much, she should have tried harder, she should have been smarter. 

"Yah. Don't cry again. That's why we're going to get the pair of keychains. I'll be there in spirit" he comforted. She nodded shortly and took the keychains to the cash register. 

"How much is that?" he asked the teacher handling the money.

"$2, dear" 

"Ok. We'll split it. Do you have a dollar?" he asked her. She felt around her pockets looking for the loose change that her parents have given to her for allowance. 

"Here" she exclaimed, dropping the money onto the table while he did the same. "Thank you" the teacher said while collecting the money and stuffing it into the bag.

"Yay!" she squealed, half-hugging the keychain to her chest. "Thanks! Getting these keychains actually made me feel a little bit better" she confessed.

"Then let's do this often. Everytime there is a special occasion, we'll get each other one. But this red shoe represents our friendship." he told her, holding up the shoe by the chain. "Deal?" 

"Deal!"

----------

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you~!" The class sang. The lights were turned off while the crowd around the cake were swaying to the song. The boy looked up happily, a devilish grin painted on his face. 

All the girl could do was smile along silently. It was her best friend's birthday and she couldn't be happier. It was moments like these where she wished she could stop time. "Yay!!" The kids screamed once he blew out the candle. The classroom lights suddenly flickered on, revealing everyone's smiles. 

"Now everyone sit down while we pass around the cake!" the teacher ordered, motioning her hands to the desks. The little girl skipped to her desk, sitting down right next to the birthday boy. He was already stuffing his face into the baked goodness. The whipped cream on the side of his mouth made her stiffle a giggle. 

"What are you laughing about?" he asked, squinting his eyes at her.

"Your face"

"Yah! It's not like your face is all that pretty either"

"Ugh..." she took a napkin and hastily wiped at  his mouth. "You idiot, I'm talking about this" 

"Oh.....I...was...kidding?..." 

"Uh huh, I should have let the frosting stay on your mouth so that everyone could laugh at you" she muttered, poking at her own cake with a fork. 

"Yah, no muttering on my birthday" he poked her cheek. 

She pouted slightly before remembering something important. "I got you this" she squealed while taking out a blue plastic bag out of her desk. 

"What is that?"

"Your present" She pushed the plastic bag to his chest, giving him a smirk. 

He reached into the bag and felt something hard. He picked it up and his breath was caught. His mouth wavered for something to say; actually anything to say. "You got me a video game?" 

"Yeah, I've heard you talking about it to your friends all the time and how your parents wouldn't buy it for you, so I did"

"W-Wait...this cost $45...how did you afford it! That is so much money!" He picked up the case which showed some monsters on the cover. He flipped it around and examined the words printed on it. 

"Well...my mom would give me lunch money to use but I saved it instead to buy this" she confessed sheepily. 

"If you used your lunch money, that means you don't eat everyday..."

"I don't eat lunch everyday, but that's okay since I'm never hungry" she shrugged her shoulders.

Before she knew it, her head suddenly stung. He had hit her on the head with the video game. "YAH! ARE YOU THAT STUPID!!" he shouted, startling the kids seated around him. 

"How could you not eat?! You could die! I don't want to go to jail for you starving yourself"

"Well wasn't that what I needed since I'm so fat" she mumbled, rolling her eyes. 

His expression softened as his eyes watered. He didn't know why...they just did. He bit his lips before suddenly pulling her to his chest. "I'm sorry, it's my job to take care of you and that means making sure you don't feel that way about yourself." 

"It's fine, I kinda wanted this anyways.." she buried herself into his shoulder. 

"Well...you should never want that since you should always like who you are, like I like who you are"

Her body stiffened. She didn't want to ruin the moment...."Thank you"

He released his hug and stared at her awkwardly. Suddenly he remembered something. "Continuing our tradition....." he pulled out two keychains.

She took one from his hand and looked at it with awe. It was a keychain of the world map. "It's so cool!" 

"Today was fun" he stated, looking around the room, watching his friends goof around, eating cake and just celebrating the day he was born. The day your first love was born....

"Why'd you choose the world map as a keychain?" she asked, cradling the item in her hand. 

"It's because my parents told me that a map is for finding something when lost" he watched her look up at him with furrowed eyebrows and a questioning gaze.

 

 

"When we part ways when we grow older, we'll always be able to find each other again when lost"

 

 

Thanks you!!!!

It's been a while since I updated! Hope you enjoy and I hope it touched the little feels it got inside of you! Even as cheesy as it sounds, my old childhood friend and I did this a lot and I miss it. Him and I would always do this tradition and till this day I still have them :)

For some advice: No matter how young, if you have that special connection to a person, never let them go.