FINAL

BEAUTIFUL DANCER

 

     In the spring of 1997, my first love blossomed. We were still kids back then when we realized how our friendship would turn into what they called as a “puppy love”.

     It was my birthday when Kai oppa took me to a special place. I don’t know what to expect since he did not describe how special that place is.

     “Kai oppa, anywhere with you is a special place” I secretly smiled while thinking of his surprise.

     At that time, I was so excited that except from the fact that I am going to receive a surprise gift from him that day, oppa was with me as I celebrate my birthday with him for the first time.

     He handed out a handkerchief and blindfolded my eyes. Then he held my hands, as I comfortably trusting him to lead me to that “special place” he is talking about. We carefully walked with our hands holding each other. I may say that it was the time I held unto his hand for the longest time. We then stopped and he removed my blindfold.

     I was amazed by what I saw. Each bulb suddenly lighted and at one moment, the whole dancing hall was sparkling with shining lights and decorations in the wall. I also saw roses laid on the wooden dance floor.

     “I did all of these. I hope you liked it.” he told me.

     I just replied with a smile. I was actually overwhelmed by all his efforts. I don’t know what I was feeling that time, but maybe I just wanted to burst out crying from extreme happiness.

     He walked towards the center of the hall. Kai oppa bowed down and then stretched his arms, inviting me to follow him at that area.

     I hurriedly followed him at the center of the dance floor. All of a sudden, all the lights were turned off and only the dazzling spotlight was left in the part where we were standing.

     I cannot count how many times I made myself feel stupid in front of him. I think I unconsciously and exaggeratedly smiled at him like a fool and blankly stared at his flawless, innocent and beautiful face.

     “Jieun, get hold of yourself. You should not make it too obvious. AISSHHH!”

     He tapped my shoulders…one…two…three!

     I gently lifted up my arms just like how he taught me before. I straightened my legs into the floor then bent my body and swayed.

     He was at the back of me. He then touched my arms from the fingers to the shoulder and down to my hips. We both lifted up our arms and swayed just like how the birds spread their wings.

     Then, we both turn our bodies around slowly and gracefully at one momentum. For all those years were we both danced together, I may say that it was the moment where I most enjoyed and felt the dance steps.

     When we stopped, my heart was racing really fast. It’s normally like that since I just danced. But this time, I can feel really strong beats. I wondered if that was what they called love? I never felt something like that before….those strong heartbeats beating only for him, for my special oppa. It worsened when he later on smiled at me, OMO! I felt as if my knees were going to collapse…that I suddenly felt weak for those wonderful smiles.

     It’s like I’m in Paradise. Am I just dreaming? Please don’t wake me up.

     I was enjoying every single moment with him without noticing the time. He cupped my face and told me something through his hand language.  “You are beautiful. Don’t ever let them look down on you.”

     That was the closest distance I had with him. He held me close to him, and then he kissed me in the cheeks. I felt like my cheeks were burning from too much blushing.

      “What was that for?” I was blinking continuously.

      He shrugged and then we ended up chasing each other around the ballet hall.

      I never knew that would be the last time I’ll be dancing with him.

     The next day, mother revealed to me a depressing news. Kai oppa’s parents divorced and he was forced to live in America with his mother. Right at that moment, my heart was broken into pieces.

     Without a word, he left me without even saying goodbye right at my face.

     So, this is it?

     Like nothing happened?

     How about me?

     How will I ever forget someone like you?

     My whole world went back to what it was before. Alone, unhappy, and empty- when will my heart be brought back to life again?

 

     After a few years, I planned to throw away my dancing shoes to forget everything about him. 

     But then when I grabbed my shoes, I saw something inserted there. It was a letter.

    

Dear Jieun,

 

     Thank you for the wonderful friendship we had for the past few years, I will always cherish that.

     Sorry if I cannot bid farewell to you personally. It’s just hard for me to leave if ever I’ll be seeing your face once again. I hope you’ll understand. My only request is, please continue dancing…you’re a beautiful dancer. Don’t be depressed, you’ll always be here in my heart no matter what.

     Just wait for my comeback, OK? Oppa will be back soon…and we’ll dance together again. Take care of yourself. I will miss you so much. This is not yet goodbye for both of us. 

                                                                                                                                                                    Kai       

 

 

     I lost my mind when I read those words. My tears suddenly broke down and fell down all over my cheeks. I was eagerly waiting for his return. When is that soon, oppa?

     But coming back to the reality, I know, and although I don’t want to admit it, but after all those years, I’m still waiting for him to return…that maybe, he’ll come back once again and fulfil his promise.

     Then, upon gazing at the mirror, I realized that somebody was waving at me near the door.

     The tall, gorgeous guy walked towards me slowly. He stared at me for several minutes, and then smiled stunningly.

     “Who is he? Oppa?” my heart suddenly fluttered.

     He bowed then stretched his arms at me, then asked me through his gestures…

 

     “WILL YOU DANCE WITH ME AGAIN?”

 

-END-

 
 
"Don't be afraid, you are gonna be okay"