Chapter 1

Chosen

The crowd scrambled to get to their seats. Yuri reached out to grab her best friend's arm so she wouldn't get lost in the group of people, but Sulli was gone already. Suddenly, someone jumped in front of Yuri, making her scream. A few people turned to look at her and she bow apologetically.

"Ilhoon, you jerk." Yuri hissed. The person who has scared her was her other friend, Jung Ilhoon.

"Sorry," he chuckled. "But have you seen Sulli?" he asked. Today was the day everyone who was 19 got their "soulmates" which didn't include Yuri.

"I was following her then you made me lose her..." Yuri sighed. Ilhoon shrugged.

"Let's go look for her." he said and the two ran off to go find their friend.

 

Sulli, on the other hand, was already in her reserved seat. By now, almost everyone was sitting down and waiting for the elders to come out. The large gathering place was set in the community park. A stage was set up and there were folding chairs neatly aligned in rows in front of it.

Sulli sighed. She hoped she'd get someone nice. Like Ilhoon, but she knew he'd be paired up with someone else. Ilhoon was her best friend and even though she liked him, she knew, in reality, it'd be really awkward.

"Well, well, well, look who it is." a voiced laughed. Sulli looked up and saw Junhyung. She rolled her eyes at the boy.

"The only person I see is a stuck-up idiot." she smirked. He glared at her. She had to admit, Junhyung was attractive, but she would never tell anyone, much less him, that. They both gave each other mean looks for a few more seconds before Junhyung stomped back to him seat. Sulli, whose real name was Choi Jinri was sitting in the thrid row, while Junhyung was much farther back. 

Everything was so perfect. The community was built so it'd be. Everything but Yong Junhyung. Sulli and him had been enemies since they were little kids. It was all because of the way their parents raised them. The two groups they were in were always quarelling although the elders forbid it.

Sulli knew it was wrong, but Junhyung was just so rude, she couldn't help it. She shook her head and crossing her legs, she leaned back into the chair. 

"SULLI!" a familiar voice yelled. Ilhoon and Yuri came running up to her. Yuri hugged her tightly.

"Unnie, don't disappear, I was worried... Then, Ilhoon scared me and we saw Junhyung walking away. He didn't hurt you did he?" Yuir spoke quickly.

"I'm fine. He didn't do anything. I won't run away next time, okay?" she patted her friend's head as Yuri pulled away. Ilhoon laughed.

"I'm so excited~" he beamed. "This'll be great. I've waited my whole life for this moment." he pumped his fists. Sulli smiled at him. You would think the girls would be more excited, but it was just the opposite for these three.

"Who do you want to be paired up with?" she asked but there was no time for Ilhoon to answer because the warning bell rang, telling everyone to go back to their seat. Yuri and Ilhoon waved good-bye then ran off.

 

Everyone waited for the elders to step on the stage and announce the names. Sulli bit her lip. It was killing her trying to figure out who the guy she'd be with for the rest of her life was.

Finally, the six elders stepped up onto the stage, each wearing a dark gray robe. All the community members wore all white, it was tradition. One of them, the leader and the oldest, spoke slowly into the microphone. Everyone in the crowd went silent.

"Hello everyone. I am glad to tell you that it is finally the day we give our nineteen year olds their soulmates." she said. All children were given the same birthday so there wouldn't be any confusion on ages. "Let's start then, yes?" she turned to the other elders and took a book from them with all the names.

She started calling out names, the girl's name first, and then the guy's. When Jessica's name was called, she was paired up with a boy named Jang Dongwoo. Sulli approved. He was just as insane as Jessica and they'd be perfect together. Sulli waited for her named to be called. They called people by their first name, so she knew she'd be soon. 

"Choi Jinri." they called. She looked up, happily. "Yong Junhyung." she froze in shock, gasping. There was a silence that passed through the crowd.

"WHAT?" she yelled and stood up at the same time Junhyung did. They both stared at each other. No one in the audience dare breathe.

"Come up here you two." the head elder called. They both slowly made their way up to the stage. When finally they were up there, they glared at each other until the elder gave them their house number and key. giving them both a look.

"Thank you." Sulli managed, clenching her teeth and bowing. Junhyung didn't even look at her when they walked off the stage, down to meet the other pairs. Everyone in the audience knew they were sworn enemies so they were shocked themselves.