Prologue

Chosen

The man paced back and forth in front of the door to the room. No one else moved but him and he bite his lip. There was a small noise from the other side that sounded like crying then shouts. He paused, hoping it was what he thought. After a few moments, one of the nurses came out and bowed to him.

"Sir, it's a girl." she smiled at him. "Come in." she guestured for the man to follow her into the room. He was beaming, excited. When he walked in he saw his wife, his soulmate with their beautiful daughter. He approached the bed.

"Jinri." his wife smiled. He nodded and kissed her forehead. They were given the name Jinri to name their daughter and they had to keep it. They didn't mind though, they liked it. He softly touched his sleeping daughter's head. She flinched slightly in her sleep and the two parents looked at each other and beamed.

"She's so beautiful." he said softly, not to wake the young child. "She looks just like you." his wife blushed slightly. 

"Let's let her sleep, neh?" she whispered and they both sat there for a while, watching their new daughter.

14 YEARS LATER...

"Come on, Sulli!" yelled Jessica, one of Jinri's best friend. All her friend's called her that. No one knew why they did, it just happened one day. Jessica was always getting in trouble then pulling Sulli into it. Then, there was Jessica's brother, Ilhoon, who was ten times worse. 

The sibling's parents were embaressed of them since the elders, the leaders of the community they lived in, always caught them in their mischief. But the kids, they didn't mind at all. To them, it was just another part of the adventure. 

As the two girls were walking, they began to talk about the nineteen year olds that were going to get their soulmates.

"I'm upset." sighed Jessica. Sulli tilted her head. They were both the same age and couldn't wait for their turn to get their soulmates. In this community, finding the right guy or girl was one of the most important part of their life. At this time in her life, Sulli didn't find anything wrong with it.

"Why?" Sulli asked her friend. Jessica shruged. She was never upset about anything so it worried Sulli.

"Because I wish I was nineteen." Jessica smiled. The two friends started laughing. Suddenly, Ilhoon hopped out from behind a large tree on the side of the road.

"Well, look what I found. Two little idiots." Ilhoon poked his sister's face. The two were twins, not identical, but fraternal. Everything they did, they did it together. Jessica glared at her brother.

"Ilhoon, Sulli and I were talking." she mumbled. Ilhoon threw his arm around Sulli. She didn't push him off. In all honesty, she had a small crush on her friend's brother. He was funny and exciting. He was always doing cool stuff and Sulli couldn't help but notice him. Not to mention, he was cute.

"Well, whatever it is-- Oh no." he paused, looking straight ahead. Coming toward the three was a young guy, the same age as them. Sulli sighed. It was her long time rival, Yong Junhyung. He smirked as he stopped in front of them. 

In their community, there were two groups. One of them were the smart families, such as doctors and engineers. The others were Sulli's and Jessica's family: the poorer families. Although, they weren't exactly "poor", they weren't making as much as the others. Junhyung was on the rich side, so he was stuck-up and rude. Sulli and Junhyung were both the smartest kids in their class, which added to the rivalry.

"Ah, look who it is." he chuckled. Ilhoon removed his arm from around Sulli, making her feel defenseless. She wasn't scared of Junhyung, not one bit. She just didn't like being around him alone. She didn't trust him.

"Go back to your side, Junhyung, no one likes you." Ilhoon snapped. Junhyung started laughing, causing Ilhoon to become confused.

"Silly boy, if I'm not mistaken, you are on my side." he nodded, his smirk growing wider. Ilhoon looked at all the houses then gasped, his brow furrowed. 

"You win this round, Junhyung." Ilhoon mumbled and started walking away. Jessica and Sulli stood there for a few more seconds, watching Junhyung. Then, at Ilhoon's call, the two ran off.