Chapter nine: A Painful Truth

Empathy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The hallways filled with students as soon as the lunch bell rang, and Kai leaned against his locker lost in a daze. Everyone was in their own world, completely ignorant of what goes around the lives of others. It bothered him.

He has never noticed it before, and it deeply bothered him.

He hears students laughing and enjoying their time. All he can think is how many of them live in a façade? How many others hide behind a smile?

He woke up from the trance when he felt a tug on his shoulder. He turned to the side and saw a few of his friends with concerned looks. “Jongin, are you alright? You don’t seem like yourself today.”

He stared at Kyungsoo for a moment and with a small smile he shook his head. “I’m fine. I’m just tired.”

“Are you sure?” Suho asked. “We saw you earlier coming out of Mrs. Kim’s homeroom with Baek and Xiu.”

Kai tensed at the comment and avoided their gaze. “Jongin, we’re very worried. Baekhyun and Xiumin went in late to class and they both looked so miserable. And now seeing you so glum…. Is there anything we can do?”

Kai was grateful to have such caring friends and he feels sorry because the look his friends are giving him makes him want to spill everything that happened that morning. But he knows it’s not his secret to tell. He quickly manages a smile and answers Kyungsoo’s question. “I’m fine, hyung. Can we go eat lunch outside? I could use some fresh air.”

The boys let out a small disappointing sigh before nodding and leading the lad out the school’s yard. Once out, they already saw the rest of the group sitting on the grass by a tree. As they approached, they noticed a few of them demanding an explanation from Xiumin and Baekhyun for their tardiness from earlier and Kai couldn’t help but feel sorry for them.

“…it’s not like you guys. And why are you so gloomy today?”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes before rubbing his forehead. “Will you all please stop asking more questions? You’re giving me a headache.”

“Guys, really… we’re okay.” Xiumin defended. “We’re just a little bit frustrated with this whole project thing.”

“Is Alex giving you a hard time?” Lay asked.

“She’s surprisingly being cooperative, but…” Baekhyun explained. “…it’s hard to get her to express herself.”

Chanyeol sat in front of the boy and crossed his arms against his chest, looking determined. “What can we do to help?”

Baekhyun and Xiumin chuckled at his friend’s intentions. “Thanks, Yeol. But this is something we have to work with her alone.”

“It doesn’t have to be like that.” Luhan said. “I know you guys have your own way with her, but we can all contribute in a way.”

“What if we start inviting her to sit with us at lunch?” Kris suggested.

Tao nodded. “Yeah, that way she can start getting a little bit more comfortable around us. Maybe it helps her open up more.”

“And every now and then we can invite her out too.” Sehun added. “We go bowling all the time. Next time she can join us.”

Noises of agreement we heard around the group. Baekhyun and Xiumin looked at each other and smiled. “I think that’s a really good idea.”

“I couldn’t agree more.” Baekhyun affirmed.

“Oh look! We have the chance now. Hey Alex!” Chanyeol waved at said girl as she stepped out to the yard. She looked up tensed and hesitated for a moment before throwing away her pride and walked towards the group. Chanyeol’s smile widened, his entire face lighting up before it quickly vanished and turned into concern frown once noticing the small patches on the girl’s face. “Oh my god! What happened?”

Alex’s brows furrowed in confusion before remembering the scratches she has on her face. She shook her head and quickly covered up with a lie, “I slipped going down the stairs and landed on my face. It’s fine, it doesn’t hurt anymore.”

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Suho asked worriedly.

She slowly nodded and turned her head towards Baekhyun, noticing that the boy was avoiding her eyes. She internally frowned before looking back at Chanyeol. “You called for me?”

“Yes!” He happily answered. “We wanted to see if you’d like to join us for lunch today?”

Her eyes widened at the sudden invitation and a small flutter was felt on her heart. She looked at the rest and noticed their bright face, waiting patiently for her answer. She clutched the hem of her shirt to hide her trembling hands. She swallowed and turned back to the tall guy. “I uh.. I already ate. But thank you for the invite.”

Chanyeol’s smile faded a bit and he turned sad. Alex noticed and quickly added, “How about Monday? I can join you... if you want? “

He gasped and rapidly nodded, a wide grin showing on his face. “Why of course!”

Alex let out a suppressed chuckle and looked around the rest when they started talking about what to make for lunch on Monday. Her eyes stopped, however, at three certain boys sitting against the tree and it hurt her because none of them looked back at her. They preferred to look anywhere else but not at her. She looked down and bit her lower lip trying to come up with something to make them notice her again.

She cleared , loudly enough to make them all stop chattering and look at her. She froze for a moment before looking back at the three boys and spoke. “If no one minds, I need to speak with Baekhyun and Xiumin privately for a moment.”

The group looked at the mentioned boys and then back at her. “It’s no problem, Alex. Go ahead.” Suho smiled.

She looked at them as they stood up from the tree with worried looks. Her eyes then turned to Kai who was surprisingly looking back at her. Her breath got caught on because how was she supposed to ask for Kai to come too without giving any information away?

Everyone agreed for Baekhyun and Xiumin because they’re doing a project about her. But what about Kai?

“You alright there?”

Kyungsoo’s voice startled her. She turned her head to the right and saw him worriedly looking at her. She cleared again and nodded. “I’m alright… can-  c-can Kai come too? I need his help with something.”

Kai’s eyes widnened and Kyungsoo looked at Kai then back to her with a chuckle. “Alex, you don’t need our permission. You can steal them all you want.”

She gave him a small smile, internally thanking him for not asking any questions by the sudden request, before turning around and walking back to the building, hoping the three boys would follow her behind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Three long minutes after they settled inside an empty classroom, Alex spoke first.

“Are you guys just not going to speak to me now?

The boys were all siting by the window, and they all turned to the girl with a frown.

“Depends…” Baekhyun answered, “are you finally going to come with me to my father to explain your situation?’

Alex let out a sigh out of frustration. “Baekhyun, I already told you I can’t do that…”

She stopped talking when she saw the boy roll his eyes and drift his gaze somewhere else. Kai just simply shook his head in disbelieve and Xiumin closed his eyes with a heavy sigh.

“You know, if you were in my position, you would be saying the same thing I am.”

“I was in your position.” Xiumin stated with a firm voice. “Not by my father, but by very mean people who always got their way. And you know what I did?”

Alex quietly waited for his response. “I asked for help… and look where I am today.” Xiumin pointed at himself.

Alex scowled. “It’s not the same thing.”

“Abuse is still abuse no matter what form it comes.”

The room fell silent for a few minutes. None of them daring to speak. It was Alex who made the first attempt again. She stood from her chair and walked closer to the boys. Head hanging low she whispered, “I need your help.”

The boys snapped their head towards the girl noticing her nervous expression. Their eyes softened.  “Anything you need.” Xiumin responded.

Alex bit her lip and let out a small breath. “My uncle is not answering his phone. I fear he may still be drunk… and I’m scared to go home by myself.”

“You’re not going back there, Alex.” Kai snapped.

“And where do you suggest I stay, Kai?” Alex looked at said boy. “I don’t have anywhere else to go.”

“What if he’s still drunk as hell? Are you just going to stay there the whole night?” Baekhyun finally spoke.

Alex closed her eyes and sighed. “Look, I just want to make sure he is sober again.”

“And what if he isn’t?” Xiumin asked.

Alex ran her hands through her hair in frustration and took a breath to calm herself down to prevent another fight. “One thing at a time, please.”

The boys glanced at each other with knowing looks before turning back to her. “Alex?”

Alex opened her eyes and looked at Baekyun as he spoke in a stern voice. “If he’s drunk, Alex, you are not staying there. It is not a suggestion.”

“Where am I going to stay then?”

Kai paced around the room for a moment while thinking of plan. “How about this? Since you’re so keen on knowing where your uncle is, we’ll go with you and check. But sober or not, you’re not staying there.”

“That sounds very pretty, Kai, but you’re still not answering where the hell am I going to stay.”

“Will you let me finish?” Kai shushed he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter