End Of A Long Time

End Of A Long Time

 

Only the constant beeping from the machine was the only sound that could be head in the room. The door creaked open to reveal a blonde male in his 20s holding a bouquet of fresh flowers. He smiled at the sight of the girl laying there on the bed, and shut the door behind him as he walked over to her bedside. He began filling the empty vase with the flowers he had brought her, talking to her as he did so.

“I brought your favourite today. White lilies, right?” He smiled as he arranged the flowers in the clear blue vase. “Na Young ah, do you remember what day it is today? It’s our anniversary.”

When he felt satisfied with the flower arrangement, he stopped and leaned back in the chair by her side, watching her as he listened to the sound of the rain hitting against the window. As he listened to the soothing rhythm of the rain, his mind slowly drifted back three years ago.

----------flashback----------

A 23 year old male paced around in a circle, nervously awaiting the arrival of his dearly loved one. He had not felt that nervous since he first asked her out 7 years ago, and he started doubting his decision. His thoughts were interrupted by a waiter who came to inform him of her arrival.

“Sir, she’s here.” he said to the nervous man, making him panic even more.

The man quickly nodded and tried his best to calm himself down, putting on his best natural smile he could have on at the time. The waiter led him down the stairs and into the dining room, where he found her waiting at the lobby of the restaurant. At that moment, all the doubts and questions he had earlier immediately vanished, and he knew. She was the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. There was no doubt about it.

He walked over to her and when she noticed him, she quickly waved to him.

“Where’s our table?” she asked him, curious as to where they would be seated as all the tables were occupied.

“We’re not in here. You’ll have to close your eyes first before I can take you to our seat.” He smiled as he took her hand.

She frowned, confused, but decided to follow his words and closed her eyes. He hadn’t said that he had prepared anything special for their anniversary, but perhaps he meant for something as a surprise. “Okay. Lead on.”

He gently took both her hands into his own, and began leading her past the dining room and up the stairs and into the dark dining room located outside the restaurant. He let go of her hands and quickly walked up the small steps and when he was in position, he shouted over to her that it was okay to open her eyes.

She slowly opened her eyes, and shock was immediately written all over her face, but a smile could be seen on it as well. It was dark and quiet, and they were the only ones there. There were small steps that were dimly lit by candles and blinking Christmas lights, and at the very top of the stairs, there stood Kim Kibum, smiling down at her. She slowly made her way up the stairs, guided by the flame of the candles, and when she reached the top, she found her favourite flowers and candles arranged to form a heart in which he was standing in. she took a step into the heart and gave him a curious but happy look, and he took her hands into his.

“What’s this?” she asked, surprised at what he had arranged. While he was sweet and caring, he had never been the romantic type of person, and it was thus surprising to find that he had arranged for something so extravagant.

“On the very same day 7 years ago, I asked you to go out with me. We’ve been together for 7 years, and those years have been the best years of my life. I know that we’re still young, and that we still have a long road ahead of us, but I still want to go through with this. I’ve always been someone who goes after what I want, and after so many years of always getting what I want, there was nothing else. But I finally know what I want, and that itself is pretty phenomenal. And what I want is you.” He slowly knelt down on one knee as he reached into his pocket to pull out the very famous blue Tiffany’s box. He took the lid off to reveal a diamond ring. “And so, I have to ask you this. Will you, Jung Na Young, spend the rest of you r life with me and do me the honour of becoming my wife?”

The brunette immediately nodded, smiling and crying both at the same time, and crying out of happiness was something she had never thought possible for her. “Yes, of course I will.”

Kibum smiled and got up, gently slipping the ring onto her ring finger. The two embraced under the moon and shared a kiss, and for that one moment, everything was perfect.

…but then that moment ended.

Later that night, the couple got into a cab, and everything went wrong when a truck that lost control rammed into the very taxi they were in.

----------end of flashback----------

The now 26 year old Kibum sighed as he recalled the past. The accident had left him with a bone fracture that had healed a long time back, but she hadn’t been as lucky as he had been. She was left brain dead, and the only thing keeping her alive was the life support machine.

He quickly shook the thought away from his mind and put a smile on his face. He walked over to the door and locked it, ensuring that nobody would be able to disturb them. He then walked up to the mirror in the room and adjusted his tie. He had worn a suit today, one that he had made just for the day. As he fixed his tie, he smiled, remembering the past.

“You used to tie my necktie with your fair and smooth hands. Dear, do you still remember back then?”

When he was satisfied, he took a seat beside her and took her hand into his own and softly planted a kiss on her soft hands.

“It’s been 10 years, but it somehow feels like everything just happened yesterday. Time has passed as such, and now, here we are. Dear, why did you have to go down the long road from which there is no return alone? Why did you leave me here alone? Dear…” he whispered softly to her as his tears formed in his eyes and his throat began to dry up. “Why won’t you say anything?”

He slowly crawled onto the bed and lay down beside her. He took one last glance at her face, admiring her for all her beauty, and finally took one of the white pillows and carefully placed it over her face. Gently, he pressed it down while lying down beside her. His tears streamed down silently as the machine began to tell him that she was gone. He took the pillow off and got up from his position to look at her.

He cupped her cold face in his warm hands and leaned down so that his forehead met hers.

“I’m sorry…” he whispered to her softly. “I will always love you.”

She was completely cold.

Then, he knew.

She was gone.

It was the end of a long time.