Bestest Friends

Locked Away

Author's POV

 

"Am I y-your bestest friend?" a little girl asked nervously, her big brown eyes looking at the ground as she toyed with the hem of her dress awaiting an answer to her very important question.


"Of course you are!" a little boy with messy hair answered, flashing her a toothy grin. His two bottom teeth were missing and paired with the scraggly mop of hair falling over his eyes and his mischievous aura, he could have passed for a farm boy.


"Then did you play with Bae and not me yesterday?" she asked accusingly.


"Because he's my friend too" he tried to explain but the sad look in her eyes was proof enough that she wasn't satisfied.


"But your my best friend because I known you the longest" he added and gaged reaction carefully.


"Really?" her eyes lit up.


"Yeah my mommy says I known you since you were a baby and i member you were wearing a poopy diaper" he clutched his stomach and laughed hysterically as if it were the funniest thing in the world.


"I did not!" she stomped her feet in frustration.


"Did too! I saw it!"


She scowled with her arms crossed and huffed at him, but he only continued to smile at her teasingly. The smile quickly left his face when she turned her back to him and began marching off, huffing and puffing and muttering under her breath. He ran up to walk beside her but she just turned and changed direction.


"Aw come on, don't be mad Dara" he poked her arm but she just looked away. He paused for a second thinking of ways to amend the situation when his eyes lit up and his signature smile crept back onto his face.


"Here this is for you" he dug his hand into his pant pocket and pulled out a thin silver necklace with a small locket attached.
Dara looked up at the glimmering chain dangling from his hand.


"I have one too, see" he pulled out another chain but this one had a small key attached to it.


"My mommy said that when I grow up i can give it to whoever i like the most, but you're my bestest friend so I already like you the most" he explained, slipping the necklace over her small head.


"You can't never ever ever take that off ok?" he said fixing his around his neck and she nodded.


"Why does yours have a key?" she asked curiously as she fiddled with her locket.


"I don't know" he shrugged, "My daddy said it's the key to something really special but he said I won't understand until I'm big."


"Hey Ji?" Dara called after a momentary silence between them.


"Yeah?"


"You wanna get married?"


"Right now?" he asked shocked at the sudden question.


"No not now silly" she laughed, "Later, like next week or next next week."


"Oh ok" he smiled.


"You can be my prince."


Do I get to have a crown?" he asked excitedly.


"Mmhmm" she nodded. "My daddy has a lot, he showed me yesterday, I'll just give you one of those."


"I have to have a really big one" he stretched his arms out wide.


"Ok I'll-"


"Princess!" Someone yelled from across the garden causing the two children to look up.


A stout woman with frizzy gray hair stood by the garden gate with her hands placed securely on her hips.


"YEEES?" Dara called back at her.


"It's time to come in dear! Your bath is ready!" 


"Five more minutes please!"


"Sandara!" she called in a warning tone. 


"Ok..." Dara sighed in defeat. She loved her nurse to bits but it  was better to stay on her good side.


"I'll see you tomorrow Ji, and I'll bring you a crown, and a sword too" she beamed.

"A sword! Cool" he eyes lit up in excitement.

"Bye bye" she waved and ran off. 


"See ya bestie!" he shouted after her.



---~---



Author's POV


"The bandits and outlaws are causing trouble on the borders again."


"They're organizing and getting more powerful by the day."


"The farmers are fearing for their safety. Some have already sought refuge in nearby towns."


"Something has to be done your Majesty."


"Gentlemen, gentlemen please" the King raised his hand to silence them.


"General Lee, have you a plan in mind?" he asked when everyone had settled down.


"Yes your Majesty, I suggest we send forces to crush them before they have time to attack." 


"Do you have anything less....aggresive? I don't want to cause any unnecessary casualties on our side" the King replied.


"We could tighten security at the border" the Sir Kwon suggested.


"Yes that is certainly feasible" the King nodded in approval.


"That may be a feasible alternative your Majesty but that does not address the problem in the long run" General Lee pointed out, a little irritated by the fact the the king seemed so relaxed.


"I know what your thinking Lee, and I assure you I know quite well what I am doing" the King smiled and the general straightened.


"Sir Park" the King called.


"Yes your Majesty" a dark figure emerged from the shadowy corner of the room, startling some of the men sitting around the table.


"Has he been in here this entire time?" one of them whispered.


"This is Sir Park Hong Jun, he and I have been working very closely as of late and I believe we have reached a decision to begin to ensure the safety of the kingdom and our people. Sir Park, please elaborate," he gestured for him to begin.


"I will be recruiting a squadron of young boys and some girls as a secret service task force. They will be thoroughly trained as fighters and as special agents and sent to infiltrate enemy camps and to protect certain officials."


"How many children are your requiring?" Sir Kwon asked.


"Fifty to a hundred between the ages of four and eight. I will start to weed out the weak or incompetent ones as the training commences."


"And where do you plan to recruit these children from?" General Lee asked a little skeptical of the whole thing.


"We will begin with orphans and trouble children, then we will take in and children of  knights or military officials who would like to send their offspring."


"Well gentlemen, any concerns or objections?" asked the King.


"I think it is a wonderful idea your Majesty. And I am certain the people will commend you for taking their well being into account" Sir Kwon bowed his head.


"Don't flatter me Kwon, I am only doing my job after all" he smiled.


"Now, if there no other comments, we need t---"


"YOUR MAJESTY! YOUR MAJESTY!" the men turned to the door as a servant boy practically tumbled into the room.


"The...the..." he panted trying to catch his breath.


"Spit it out boy!" General Lee shouted.


"What happened?" the King asked.


"The crown jewels...t-they're missing"

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the awesome banner @slightly-red <3 <3 <3