Chapter 6

Entangled Souls

Im in alot of trouble !!

 

Hyun slid out from behind the wheel. "You drive ," he said shortly.

Putting a hand on my shoulder ,he pushed me into the seat. "Hurry up before someone remembers you didn't drive out here."

 

He sounded peeved and I started fiddling with the levers.

Yeah ,I could drive a freaking boat. I'd grown up learning to drive a boat with my dad and had been able to put a boat in a slip before I could ride a bike.

 

Hyun was stowing the skis and wet ropes when I shifted into a slow crawl. The other boat had taken off fast ,and I follwed its path to make the ride easier.

 

Ana was on her cell phone ,shouting ,"He hit his head on the ski jump !

Camp GreenPea Lake.

The one with the big green canoe over the road ?

We're headed for the dock. He's awake but needs stiches ,maybe."

 

Edging into a faster speed ,I pressed into the cooling vinyl and felt my shoulder go cold where Hyun had touched it. The black wings were gone ,apart from a single smudge skirting the edge of the lake. The scythe had been prevented ,but Hyun wasn't happy.

 

Closing her phone ,Ana wobbled back to sit beside Young at the back of the boat. "Hey," she shouting over the engine noise. "I've got an ambulance coming. You doing okay ?"

 

He was flushed and he looked confused. "Where's the girl with the sword ?" he asked ,and I caught Hyun making the "crazy"sign ,twirling his finger beside his ear. "Take it easy," Ana said ,softer ,but still almost yelling. "We'll be there in a minute."

 

The lights of the ambulance at the dock gave me a point to aim at ,and I slowed our speed as we closed in. People had gathered ,and I hoped Hyun and I could make our escape before we were noticed.

"Where's the girl with a sword," Young asked again ,and Hyun went to sit on his other side.

 

"There is no girl with a sword,"he said tightly. "I saw her,"he insisted. "She had black hair. You had a sword too. Where's your sword ?"

 

I glanced back and Hyun gave me a tired look ,making me fell like I'd really messed this up. Maybe having to change people's memories was a sign of sloppiness. "Just relax ,Young," the light reaper was saying. "You hit your head hard."

 

I gripped the wheel tighter and wondered if Young's head injury made him less susceptible to having his memory changed. Just how badly had I screwed this up ? Jeez ,all I'd done was shove Ana out of the way.

 

I wasn't going to just stand there and let her be killed. Ana was blissfully ignorant. She was alive. She would finish her life and probably do something great with it ,or she never would've been unfairly targeted by the dark reapers in the first place.

 

My furrowed brow eased ,and I pulled a strand of spraydamp hair out of my eyes. I was glad I'd intervened ,and nothing Hyun could say would convince me it hadn't been the right thing to do.

 

I couldn't help but feel a little sheepish ,though. Two years of martial arts practice ,and all I'd done was shove her out of the way ?

 

Hyun left Young and Ana clustered together on the back bench and sat in the seat across from mine. "I put in for a guardian angel," he said as he leaned close enough for me to catch the scent of sunflowers at dusk. "Ana will be fine."

 

"Good," I eased the throttle down as we neared the dock ,refusing to drop his gaze. "That wasn't so bad ,was it ?" Leaning back ,he huffed.

 

"You have no idea the trouble you caused," he said. "Saints protect you ,Raven. Five people saw her cut right through you. Five people I have to cobble alternate memories for. You think thought-touching is hard ,you should try altering memories. I shouldn't have brought you. I knew it wasn't safe."

 

I clenched my teeth and stared at the approaching dock ,thick with people. "I saved her life. Wasn't that the point ?"

 

"You were identified by a reaper," he said darkly. "You said you'd simply observe ,and you go and...get recognized ! They know the resonance your amulet gives off now. They can follow it. Find you."

 

I took a breath to protest. Reapers had amulet resonances; living people had auras. Either could be used by reapers to find people both at a great distance and close-up ,sort of like a noisy fingerprint or photo.

 

"Are you telling me I should have let her die ,Joonie ?" I said bitterly ,knowing he hated the nickname. "Let that reaper cut her down just so I wouldn't get recognized ? Call Jung Min. He can change my amulet's resonance. He has before."

 

Arms crossed over his chest ,Hyun frowned. I was right ,though ,and he knew it. "I'm going to have to ,aren't I ?"he said ,sounding like the eightteen-year-old he was masquerading as.

 

"I haven't been pinged in three hundred years. Apart from your reap ,that is. I need to get my resonance changed ,now ,too." Sullen ,he stared ahead. A sullen angel. How sweet.

 

But the more I thought about it ,the worse I felt. It seemed that ever since I'd made his acquaintance ,I'd been screwing up his life. My special talent. Now he had to call on his boss to fix things ,and I knew he hated looking bad. "Sorry," I said softly ,but I knew he heard me.

 

"Until we get the resonance of our amulets changed ,we're as vulnerable as ducks sitting on the water,"he muttered.

 

Chilled ,I looked for black wings ,but they were gone. The water reflected the trees close to the dock ,flat in the lee of the wind ,and I shifted the engine into neutral. "I said I'm sorry," I said ,and Hyun looked up from the flashing ambulance lights.

 

His brown eyes were black in the shade ,and it was as if I was seeing them for the first time ,finding something different in their depths.

 

"There's a lot you don't know,"he said as I swung the boat around to dock beside the first. "Maybe you should start acting like it."

 

I may update story again later today because im going out of town for a week and won't be able to update!! Hope your enjoying my story ,please comment ,NO SILENT READERS PLEASE !!