Chapter 3

Entangled Souls

Hyun What Do You Want 2 Do

He hesitated and I squinted at him ,watching his thoughts play over his face. Bad idea or not ,a life was on the line.

Behid me ,the black wing took flight. Hyun took a breath to say something ,pausing when a guy in gray trunks came over.

He held a towrope and was smiling. "I'm Young Saeng,"he said ,extending his hand. I turned sideways to Hyun and took it. "Raven,"I said shyly. I figured he wasn't the reaper.

He was too normal-looking. Hyun muttered his name ,and Young looked him up and down. "Do either of you know how to drive?" Young asked.

"I do," I said before Hyun could think of an excuse to get us out of here. "But I"ve never pulled a skier. I'll just watch." I glanced at Hyun. That last bit had been for him.

"Great !" Young smiled devilishly. "You want to ride in my boat ? Watch me ? He was flirting ,and I grinned.

I'd been holed up with Hyun for so long ,working on this thought-touching stuff ,that I'd forgotten how fun-and how normal-flirting was.

And he was flirting with me ,not the girl on the dock who'd stripped to a yellow bikini to show off her or the stunning girl with the long black hair ,who was wearing shorts and a brilliantly patterned top.

"Yeah ,I'll watch you ,"I said ,taking a step after him ,only to jerk to a halt when Hyun snagged my arm.

"Hey," he said loudly ,his eyes silvering again and making me shiver. "Let's do guys on one boat ,girls on the other."

"Cool !" bikini girl said cheerfully ,not seeming to notice his metallic-like irises ,though she was looking right at him.

"We get the blue boat." I pulled out of Hyun's hold ,uneasy that I could see something that the living clearly couldn't.

I didn't think even Hyun knew I could see it. The level of noise increased as they rearranged themselves ,boats starting to chug and lines being cast off.

Still on the dock ,I pulled Hyun down so I could whisper ,"Young isn't the reaper ,is he ?"

"No," he whispered back. "But something's hazing him. He might be the victim." I nodded and Hyun turned away to talk to a guy in a blue shirt standing possessively behind the wheel of the red boat.

Saying hi to the girls ,I landed at the bottom of the blue speedboat.

Hyun's plans must be to shadow the victim. I looked across the dock at Young ,wondering if I could see a dark haze about him ,or if it was my imagination.

All too soon ,we were on the water ,speeding over a small lake with the girl in red one-piece skiing behind our boat ,and Young behind the other.

The rhythmic thump and the hissing of the wind whipping my hair into my eyes. The black wings had risen up in confusion at the dock ,but the biggest were already making their way after us.

My unease grew as I dropped my gaze to the skiers. Young looked like he knew what he was doing ,as did the girl behind our boat.

If they weren't dark reapers ,and the guy in the gray trunks driving wasn't a reaper ,then that left three possibilities ,two of whom were with me.

I resisted the urge to finger the black stone hiding behind my shirt ,hoping that Hyun hadn't put me on the wrong boat.

Bikini girl had on a necklace. "Are you a good skier ?" I shouted to her ,wanting to hear her talk. She turned and smiled ,holding her long blond hair tightly.

"Not bad," she said ,leaning in to be heard over the engine. "Think she'll fall soon ? I'm dying to get on the water."

My smile went stilted ,and I hoped she wasn't foretelling her future. "She might. The jump is coming up."

"Maybe then." She glanced at the purple tips of my hair ,dropping her gaze to my skull-and-crossbones earrings.

Smiling ,she said ,"I'm Ana."

"Uh ,Raven," I said ,holding tight to the boat with one hand as my balance shifted. It was too windy to really talk ,and as Ana watched the skier behind us jump our wake ,I assessed the driver.

The petite girl behind the wheel had an enviable mane of black hair ,long and thick. It streamed out behind her to show little ears ,strong cheekbones ,and a placid expression as she looked forward.

Wide shoulders and a slim body made her seem as capable as she was attractive. Her Hawaiian top was glaring out here in the sun ,making me wish I had worn sunglasses ,too.

My attention shifted across the water to the red boat thirty yards off our starboard and Hyun talking to the guy in the blue shirt.

The wind shifted as the boat turned to the jump ,ans Ana leaned in ,her long hair smaking my face before she grabbed it.

The back wings had caught up. All of them. "How long are you here for ?" she asked. "Uh ,not long ," I answered truthfully.

"School starts up in about two weeks." Ana nodded. "Same here." I shifted on the spray-splattered vinyl ,nervous.

I was supposed to be the designated watcher ,but I really wanted to watch the driver. No mortal had a right to be that gorgeous.

If I could find the guts to talk to her ,I might be able to tell if she wasn't. And what if she isn't ,Raven ?  I thought ,growing nervous.

It wasn't like I could tell Hyun. Maybe splitting up hadn't been such a good idea. "My parents made me come hre ," Ana said ,pulling my attention back.

"I had to leave my job and everything ," she added with an eye roll. "Lost a month of pay. I work at a news-paper ,and my dad didn't want me staring at a computer screen all summer.

They still think I'm twelve." I nodded ,my expression freezing wen a kite-sized sheet of dripping black glided between the boats as if we were standing still.

Stifling a shudder ,I sent my gaze to Hyun; I could see his frown from here. Frolicking both above the water and under it ,the black wings grew close ,winding my tension tighter ,starting at my feet and climbing higher.