Graduation Ball--Final!

Graduation Ball

            Hours before the Graduation Ball the following day, Sungmin was already at school, practicing the pieces with the rest of the ensemble. They would be doing half the songs for the evening—with the hired band playing the more upbeat songs.

            They were doing a pretty good job at practice, even though Sungmin had gotten the music sheets only that morning. He worked hard to play the pieces perfectly, and he continued to play while the others took breaks every so often.

            “It’s an hour until the event,” the head of the ensemble called to them. “We need to move to the other room, because people are going to come in at any moment now.”

            “Is there a piano in the other room?” Sungmin asked her.

            The woman nodded.

            “That’s great, thanks.” Sungmin got up from the piano bench and moved to the other room along with the others. He continued to practice pieces as the other ensemble members changed into their formal clothes for the event.

            “So you’re a student here?” the head person approached him after some time.

            He nodded, still playing. “Wang Jun-sshi asked me to cover for him tonight.”

            The lady nodded. “So I’ll guess we’ll make a special mention for you tonight, eh?” She chuckled.

            Sungmin thought for a while. “That wouldn’t be too bad. If we can have that, please do.”

            The woman left him to speak with some other people. He finished his piece before taking a break and changing into his suit.

 

            From inside the room, they heard the students and their dates and guests coming into the area. The program started on time with the two MCs giving an introduction.

            Having eaten earlier, the ensemble was ready to start their performance while the attendees of the event would have their meal.

            “Tonight,” one of the MCs said, “we have a special ensemble to play for us.” She began announcing the names of the instrumentalists, starting with the woman who spoke with Sungmin.

            “We regret to inform you that Im Wang Jun-sshi is unavailable tonight and is unable to play the piano for the ensemble,” the other MC said once the last name was called. “Fortunately, taking his place for tonight is none other than second year student, Lee Sungmin.”

            The attendees and the MCs clapped as Sungmin walked toward the piano and bowed. When he stood up straight again, he immediately found Hyung Shik and Hae Jin at one of the tables near the front. Hyung Shik was smiling, happy for him, and Hae Jin could only stare. Secretly pleased, Sungmin smiled and waved at the crowd before sitting down.

            The MCs said their final words before leaving the stage, and the ensemble started with their first piece.

 

            An hour later, dinner was finished and the program continued, giving the ensemble a few minutes to take a break. The band would be playing around three songs before they’d be called again to play slow songs for the dances.

            “Don’t you want to go out and maybe talk a bit with your schoolmates?” the woman from before approached and asked Sungmin.

            He shook his head. If he went out now, who knows what would happen? “I’d rather wait until later.”

            “I’ve got a question, if you don’t mind.”

            “Go ahead.”

            “Why did you offer to replace Wang Jun-sshi? I heard that you declined at first, but then agreed to the offer yesterday. What made you change your mind?”

            Sungmin thought for a moment. “I don’t know, really,” he admitted. “I just have a feeling that I have a big decision to make tonight.” He smiled politely at her.

            The woman smiled back. “That sounds great. Thanks for being the pianist for tonight.”

            He nodded.

 

            As the band was about to finish their third song, the members of the ensemble returned to their positions, ready to play two or three slow songs. The crowd applauded for the band, and as their piece began, couples began for the dance floor.

            From the corner of his eye, Sungmin saw Hyung Shik offer Hae Jin his hand and bring her to the dance floor. Just like the other couples, Hae Jin put her hands on Hyung Shik’s shoulders, and he put his hands on her waist. They swayed alongside other pairs to the rhythm of the music.

            Sungmin continued to watch them as his fingers played the notes perfectly. As he watched, he didn’t know what to feel. Watching them both smile so happily as they danced with each other, he felt helpless. What was he thinking, wanting to confess to Hae Jin?

            If I confess to her, it’s going to ruin everything, he said in his thoughts. I’ve already ruined our friendship—who am I to ruin her chance with a great guy like sunbae? But what did I come here for? Wasn’t it to tell her how I feel? I’m doing this for my happiness.

            But she’s my best friend. Shouldn’t I think of herhappiness before mine?

            He sighed.

 

            After their third song, the members of the ensemble went back to the other room to give way to the band again.

            Sungmin took a drink from his water bottle, still arguing with himself on what to do.

            This is what I came here for. I didn’t come here to have my heart broken without trying. Now is the only time.

            He placed his bottle back in his bag and crept toward the door. He looked around, hoping that he wouldn’t be seen, before he left.

            “Hey!” one of the violinists said, seeing him about to close the door.

            Sungmin froze, his hand still on the doorknob.

            “What’s wrong?” the head of the ensemble came up to the violinist. Sungmin saw this as his chance to escape.

            “That Sungmin boy, he just left! What is he thinking?”

            “It’s okay.” She looked toward the door. “He’s got a big decision to fulfill.”

            Sungmin exhaled a sigh of relief from the hallway.

 

            He walked down the corridor to the back entrance of the event area. Where was he supposed to go now? After a little bit of planning, he hid behind the stage.

            Sungmin stayed there for quite a long time. The band finished with their songs, and the ensemble returned to play the next batch of pieces. As the piece began, Sungmin mumbled, “It’s not the same without a piano.” He chuckled to himself.

            As the first of the new pieces finished, he peeked from behind the stage. He found Hae Jin and Hyung Shik dancing beside one of the columns. Perfect, he thought, and he crept out from his hiding place.

            A new song began playing as he hid behind the column.

            “Where’s Sungmin?” he heard Hyung Shik ask. “Shouldn’t he be playing the piano?”

            “I’m not sure,” Hae Jin said. Sungmin could feel the irritation in her voice, under the sweet tone she used to answer. “I didn’t even know that he’d be here tonight.”

            “Maybe he wants to surprise you?” Hyung Shik chuckled.

            “He’s surprised me enough for one week,” she whispered.

            “I’ve got a lot of respect for that guy, you know. Not only because he’s your friend, but because I know he cares a lot for you.”

            “Sunbae, don’t say things like that,” Hae Jin said, embarrassed.

            “At first I thought he’d be angry when I asked you out for tonight. I’m happy he’s okay with it, though.”

            “Minnie’s always been supportive.” She sounded thoughtful. “We’re pretty much like siblings to each other.”

            “You’re lucky to have someone like him.”

            “Sunbae, you say these things as if…”

            “It’s no use hiding it from me, Hae Jin. Somewhere in those years of being best friends, I know you’ve grown to love him more than just that.”

            “What?” she argued. “Why are you saying these things, sunbae?”

            Hyung Shik chuckled. “Just know that you’re very, very lucky to have Sungmin by your side.”

            From behind the column, Sungmin grinned. Hyung Shik really was a great guy, just as Hae Jin had said. He took a deep breath and stepped out into the open. “May I cut in?” He smiled at Hyung Shik.

            “Hey, Sungmin!” His upperclassman greeted him. “We were just talking about you.” He laughed. “Here, go ahead.”

            Sungmin looked at Hae Jin, who looked so helpless. He knew she was angry, confused, frustrated, or whatever.

            As Hyung Shik excused himself and left, Hae Jin could do nothing. She also said nothing as Sungmin put his hands on her waist.

            “Have I told you that you look stunning?” He smirked.

            “Why are you here?” she finally snapped after putting her hands on his shoulders.

            “I thought you saw me playing the piano,” Sungmin said, sounding innocent and oblivious to what she really meant.

            Hae Jin rolled her eyes. “I don’t understand you, Sungmin,” she said bitterly. “Wednesday night you were perfectly fine. Thursday night you said that you missed me. Then yesterday you told me that you didn’t want to be my friend anymore!” she said quite loudly.

            “Ssshh,” Sungmin chuckled. “You’re too noisy.”

            “You just make me confused, Minnie,” she said in a softer voice and looked away. “I don’t know what to think anymore.”

            “Now you know how I’ve been feeling,” he said to her in an equally thoughtful and quiet tone. “When sunbae asked you out last Tuesday, I became so angry. Wednesday, I knew that I couldn’t ruin your mood, so I came with you and helped you buy that beautiful dress you’re wearing right now. Although I had a lot of fun, I still grew frustrated whenever I’d think that you bought that dress for Hyung Shik sunbae.”

            “But why—”

            “Wait, let me finish. When you were gone two days ago, sunbae told me how excited he was for tonight; how excited he was to be with you. And yesterday… Yesterday, I just couldn’t keep it in anymore.”

            “I don’t understand, Min. We’ve been best friends for five years. How can you just say that you don’t want to be best friends anymore?” There were tears gathering in Hae Jin’s eyes.

            Sungmin sighed and smiled, stepping closer to her. “When we kissed three nights ago, I didn’t know how to feel about it. I didn’t know how to feel because I didn’t know how you felt. But then when you told me that you thought it was meaningless, I knew that it wasn’t the same case for me. That kiss was the best thing that happened to me, Hae Jin. And I don’t want to be your best friend anymore, only because I want to be more than that.” Slowly, he moved closer to her.

            Hae Jin didn’t move as Sungmin’s face neared hers. For the second time in the week, their lips touched. This time, it was intentional. This time, it wasn’t “meaningless.”

            When Sungmin pulled back, he saw that Hae Jin was crying. His eyes widened. “Hae Jin, I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to make you cr—”

            “Silly Sungminnie,” she laughed and embraced him.

            He chuckled. “I’m wondering about what Hyung Shik sunbae said to you. I know it’s true for me, but did you really fall for me somewhere in these past five years?”

            Hae Jin looked up at him and smiled. “Maybe,” she said, giving him a light kiss before resting her head on his chest.