Graduation Ball

Graduation Ball

            “You’re so cute. See you later!”

            Sungmin’s jaw dropped as he heard Hyung Shik say those words from the range below the balcony. He rushed to look over the railing and saw the upperclassman leaving with a smile on his face, and Hae Jin sinking to the floor with the silliest grin he had ever seen on her. He gritted his teeth together and glared as Hyung Shik walked out of sight.

            Taking a look at his watch, he grabbed his and Hae Jin’s bags and stormed down to the range.

            “Hae Jin, it’s time to go,” he grumbled and pulled her up. “Training time’s over. Go say goodbye to your teammates and your coach.” He looked away and crossed his arms over his chest.

            “Okay, Minnie,” Hae Jin responded in a weary-happy voice that irritated him.

            He looked to her and saw that the stupid smile was still on her face. He gritted his teeth again. “Will you make it quick, Hae Jin?” he said, frustrated, and went back up the stairs to exit the area.

            The doors slammed open as he left the balcony. He dropped his schoolbag and leaned on the wall next to the door for support. Sungmin sighed. He didn’t know what made him so annoyed and he felt a little guilty for becoming so angry with his own best friend. He sighed again and decided to enter the room to apologize before Hae Jin got the wrong idea.

            “Hae Jin, I—” Sungmin stopped in his tracks the second he saw Hyung Shik speaking with Hae Jin near the railing of the balcony.

            “I know this is sort of late notice,” Hyung Shik began. He looked nervous.

            It was something about seeing the two of them together that sparked Sungmin’s frustration again.

            Hyung Shik exhaled then chuckled softly. “I’m sorry, I’m a little anxious.”

            “What is it?” Hae Jin asked him, undoubtedly just as anxious.

            “I’m sorry I’m saying this so late, but would you be my date for the Graduation Ball this Saturday?” Hyung Shik’s lips pulled into a smile.

            Hae Jin’s eyes widened. She opened to speak, but then closed it again. After a second, she laughed. “I don’t know what to say.” She smiled up at him.

            “Say yes, maybe?” The upperclassman smiled again.

            She nodded. “Of course I’ll go to the Grad Ball with you.” She beamed.

            “That’s great!” he exhaled a sigh of relief. “I’ll pick you up at six-thirty. See ya then!”

            Hae Jin nodded again and turned away to leave, a blush clear on her cheeks.

            Sungmin stared as she came toward him, still smiling and blushing like crazy. After overhearing their conversation, Sungmin forgot all about the frustration, but it was replaced by an unexplainable sadness.

            Still lost in her reverie, Hae Jin had walked right past Sungmin and to the door.

            His shoulders dropped as he realized he had been forgotten. “Yah, Hae Jin,” he said softly, standing still.

            Hae Jin turned back to him, finally out of her train of thoughts. “I’m sorry, Sungmin. I didn’t see you.”

            “I know that,” he whispered drearily and turned to the door. “Let’s go.”

 

            Their walk to the train station was extremely silent, except for Hae Jin’s occasional sighs of happiness and light chuckles. Each second seemed so dragging for Sungmin, and each chuckle made him feel worse.

            “Hey,” he decided to speak up once they sat down on the train.

            “Hmm?” Hae Jin looked at him with bright eyes and a happy expression.

            He gulped, not wanting to show how he was feeling. “You haven’t been talking for a while.”

            “Really? I didn’t notice.” She smiled and chuckled. “I’m just really… happy right now, Minnie.”

            “I can see that,” he said to himself.

            “What was that?”

            “Nothing.” He looked down at his lap.

            “I’m sorry, Sungmin, is there anything you want to talk about?”

            Sungmin looked at her and found genuine concern that replaced the giddy excitement on her face. He opened his mouth, knowing that he wanted so badly to explain what he had been feeling. Looking again at her, he stopped himself and shook his head. “It’s really nothing, Hae Jin.” He looked down again. “How about you? Anything you want to talk about?” In his head, he slapped himself. He knew he was bringing about his own sadness. But Hae Jin was a good enough friend to care for him—he should be the same. “I overheard your talk with Hyung Shik sunbae.”

            From the corner of his eye, he saw her blush again. His heart sank, but he mustered all his strength to forget about his own emotions. “I bet you’re pretty excited for it.” He looked up at her with a smile.

            A smile sprouted on Hae Jin’s face again and she began chattering about it. “I know, I’m just so excited for it! I can’t believe Hyung Shik sunbae really asked me, but wasn’t that so sweet of him?”

            “Yeah, extremely sweet of him,” Sungmin said, unable to hide his sarcasm.

            “Now I won’t be able to think!” she continued, oblivious to his tone of voice. “It’s this Saturday and that means it’s just four days from now! I can’t wait! I need to look for a dress and make up and shoes, and—” Hae Jin’s face dropped.

            He looked at her, wondering why she stopped talking. Seeing her staring straight ahead, he snapped his fingers before her eyes.

            “I don’t have a dress,” she whispered. “I don’t have a dress!” She looked frantically at him. “Sungminnie, help me look for a dress, please!”

            “What?” he snapped. “Ask one of your girl friends to help you look!”

            “But, but…”

            “Why should I come with you to look for a dress and possibly matching shoes and a handbag as well?”

            “Because! You’re my very best friend and I can’t imagine doing it with anyone else.” She looked at him with wide, pleading eyes and grasped his hand in hers. “Please, Minnie?”

            Sungmin’s eyes widened as he looked at her and felt her hands on his. He bit his lower lip and faced away. “Sure, okay. I’ll come with you. Tomorrow?”

            “Thank you, Sungmin!” Hae Jin exclaimed and hugged him tight. “Tomorrow for sure!”

            His eyes closed and he clenched his jaw, unable to think.

 

-----

a/n: First out of the four chapters in this fanfic. :) I hope everyone's enjoying it so far! :D