--two[final]

I Dreamed a Dream [Happy Birthday Oh Sehun]

 

When news first broke that both Luhan and Kris had ran away to fight, the remaining children had been reprimanded badly. Shouts were hurled and pans were thrown but the three remained strong.

If they had shown that small weakness to their parents, the adults would have already braved through the heavy rainstorm in quest of finding their two sons.

And so they lied.

They lied about how the duo’s decisions were clever.

They lied about how they had agreed with the pair’s views.

They definitely lied about how they were all right with both boys leaving when reality is far more cruel.

Raged, their parents left hurriedly; each family taking their own carriage to the next town. The rain had been another obstacle and they were forced to stop at a small inn. The children huddled together in a room, silence ensuing as the time ticks.

“We have to go back.” Jessica uttered softly.

Her sister shook her head reluctantly, knowing how a slight push would have the older one running back to their town.

“We can’t.” Sehun crashed her hopes of returning. “We mustn’t.”

“But Kris…”

“Look, Jessica!” He lost his patience. “You lose Kris and we all lose Luhan, all right? That’s a fact. Stop whining because we are all suffering as well. It hurts, but bear with it.”

“You could tell her nicely, you know?” Krystal said through gritted teeth. “You didn’t need to snap at her.”

“But then she wouldn’t stop talking about Kris!” Sehun raised his voice. “I don’t need to be constantly reminded that my brother is going to die out there somewhere!”

“Well, it’s a fact! Deal with it!”

“I don’t like hearing these facts! Do you?! Do you like it when I constantly remind you that Luhan, the love of your life, would be slashed and battered till he’s dead?!”

“Don’t you dare make this about me!” Krystal shouted and stood up in seething anger. “You’re the one who’s so in love with Luhan! You’re the one who’s losing a brother! I’m merely just a third wheel, remember?!”

Her words struck him in his guts and the man kept silent, knowing full well that she was right. This was about him.

Not only did he lose a brother but he loses a friend as well. A friend who meant the whole world to him.

“I… I’m going to go outside for a moment.” Jessica broke the awkward silence. “M-Maybe get some fresh air.”

“Me too.” Krystal huffed but was stopped by Sehun.

“N-No. Stay. Jessica… Do you mind?”

The older girl shook her head and left the room, leaving the two to sort things out.

“I’m sorry.” The man apologised. “I shouldn’t have snapped at either you or Jessica. I was wrong but I’m in a huge turmoil and-”

“Hush.” She patted him on the shoulders. “Say no more. I’m sorry myself. I should have been more sensitive. To lose both a brother and a loved one… It must be so hard on you.”

“I-It is, but it’s the same with you.”

The girl scoffed before shaking her head at him. How was it that he was so dense?

“I guess you have yet to read Luhan’s letter.”

“Have you?”

“Yes.” Krystal sighed as she took his letter out of his pocket. “You should read it now.”

“I-I don’t understand.” He stuttered as his hands fiddled with the letter.

“You don’t have to. Just read.”

--

Dearest Sehun,

I am sorry for leaving you to be by yourself.

I am more cowardly a man than you can imagine. You have to understand that both Kris and I are of age to be protecting our lands. Meanwhile, I’ll admit that we were selfish in leaving you behind to care for our families.

By the time you read this letter, you’ll be in the carriage on the way to the next town, thus dispelling any forms of opportunities for you to be home.

Sehun, it had been wonderful to grow together with you; to laugh, to love, to live. As I’m penning down my innermost thoughts to you right now, my only regret was that I hadn’t had the chance to talk about you.

To talk about us.

I know as you’re reading this, you might be wondering, how I possibly know of your feelings for me. I have to say, I am disappointed.

You should give me more credit, Sehun. Your feelings were easy for me to read.

The way you laugh even if I was an annoyance.

The way you stared at the lovely Krystal whenever she’s in proximity.

And of course, the way that you look at me. Your eyes hold more passion and emotions than you could ever see.

It must have been difficult for you as it was for me. I know of Krystal’s feelings for me as well.

I am a torn man, Sehun. I am selfish and I am a coward. I wanted to hold on to both the love that you and Krystal had given me.

I wanted pure love; I was flattered to know that Krystal, a lady so beautiful, had fallen in love with me.

But yet I wanted to love you; I wanted to embrace you in my arms without a care in the world, but it proved harder than I thought.

What would the people say; I remembered thinking as the thought of love between two men occurred.

I was afraid. I was unready. I was lost.

I had been torn; you or Krystal? Never once had you left my mind. Never once did she leave either.

Tell me I’m selfish, Sehun. Tell me that I’m not the one you love. I just wanted normality in my life, not passion nor purity.

I was always torn but somehow I managed to find my answer today. I didn’t wanted normality. I wanted passionate love.

Yes Sehun.

It’s you. I want you. You are my dream.

But at last, it is too late. I’m sorry. Perhaps we’re fated to be in our next life. But until then…

Promise me you’ll look after both Krystal and Jessica. They’re too weak for their own good. I know you’re strong enough, thus why I’m entrusting you with this duty.

I’ll always love you and I’ll always be with you.

Yours beloved,

Luhan.

--

“L-Luhan.”

“It has always been you, Sehun.” Krystal smiled a sad smile. “Only you.”

“I…”

“Hush. I’m… happy for you, Sehun. Anyway, do allow me to be by myself for a while.” She muttered. “I’ll go and check on Jessica.”

As Krystal left, the man slumped on the cold floor, his hands firmly gripped on the piece of paper.

It had been me… Luhan had loved me all these while….

The thought sunk in and Sehun grinned as it passed him by.

We… loved each other. We… we loved.

Oh dear God. We loved!

“S-Sehun!” Krystal came rushing in, interrupting his thoughts. “Sehun!”

“What is it, Krystal?” The man stood up hurriedly and approached her. “What happened?”

“J-Jessica. S-She left. I think she went back to Kris!”

“What?! We have to go fetch her!”

--

A girl gritted her teeth in impatience as she rode the lone carriage through the woods. Luck had been by her side.

The storm had subsided and in its place were the light raindrops.

Kris… I… can’t see a life without you. I… need you.

She clenched her fists in determination as she nodded her head in agreement with her own thoughts.

“Giddy up!” The girl shouted as she whipped the horses to run faster.

--

“Y-You don’t think she’ll go far, will you?” Krystal’s breath was heavy and rapid as she held on to Sehun. “She’s mad!”

“I don’t know but we better hurry!” Sehun shouted and urged the horse to quicken its steps. “Hold on tight!”

--

The carriage which had been travelling in full speed came to a halt as the owner hurriedly got down. There was no space for it to move forward and the girl made the decision to walk instead.

Why are there so many people?

As she walked towards the front of the bridge, the girl came to realised that these people had been waiting for something.

Or someone.

“Excuse me, Miss! Where are you going?!” An elderly man stopped her before she could venture any further.

“I… came to look for my h-husband, sir.” She lied as she tried to push her way forward. “Please let me pass.”

“M-Miss Jung? J-Jessica?!” Someone recognised her. “My lady! But you are not betrothed to anyone!”

“I…” The girl panicked.

Seeing a chance to escape, the girl ran; her legs quickly taking her to the bridge and she had turned around in apology.

“I’m sorry! But Kris…” were the only words she said as she continued running into the mist.

--

“They’re really coming, huh?” The taller of two men sighed hesitantly.

“Yup.”

“Well… it’s been nice knowing you, mate.” He laughed.

“I’ll see you in the next life.” The other entertained his deathly jokes. “Hopefully I’ll be taller than you, then.”

--

“T-That’s our carriage!” Krystal screamed and got down before the horse stopped.

“Krystal!” Her companion shouted, obviously shocked at how urgent her steps had been. “Krystal! Wait for me!”

“Jessica! JESSICA!!”

“K-Krystal? My lady, what are you doing here?” The same stranger who had called out to Jessica asked of the younger girl.

“Krystal.” Sehun whispered into her ears. “I don’t think we’re supposed to be here.”

“Of course we are!” She snapped. “My sister is here somewhere!”

“Do you mean Jessica?” The stranger questioned. “She’s at the bridge. We tried to stop her but…”

“She’s at the bridge! Sehun, let’s go!”

“My lady, if I may say so myself, it isn’t safe for you to go there.”

“What? Why?! Tell me, Lucas, why?!”

“The Blue Swords… They’re coming any time now. You’ll be dead if you run there.” The stranger Lucas bowed his head. “I tried to stop your sister but she was too stubborn.”

“S-Sehun.” Krystal stuttered, her eyes wide with anxiousness. “We have to go there. We have to get Jessica.”

“If I remember correctly, she said that she’s off to meet Kris.” Lucas rambled on. “Though I must say that she’s making a big mistake.”

“Kris is there?” Sehun’s voice suddenly went softer. “My brother is on that bridge?”

“Someone has to fight the Blue Swords, Sehun.” He replied seriously.

“Just how many people are there?!” Krystal shouted again, disgusted of how uncaring people had been.

“Ten initially but now eleven. Jessica…”

“Move away! Move away!” A group of men shoved their way through, their hands holding an awfully familiar object.

“D-Dynamites?” Both Sehun and Krystal uttered at the same time, their eyes never once leaving the men that had passed by.

--

“Kris! Kris!” The girl shouted as she ran forward.

Hearing the familiar voice, the said man turned around in disbelief.

It couldn’t be…

“Kris!” She hugged the man as she got to him. “Kris! I’m sorry!”

“J-Jessica?!” Luhan too was surprised by her sudden appearance. “You’re not supposed to be here.”

“I don’t care. I just need to be with Kris.”

“Jessica!” Kris’s tone was hushed and worried. “You can’t be here. You’ll die.”

“I don’t care.”

“You don’t get it. We will all die. Dynamites are planted at the bottom of the bridge. Once the Blue Swords move forward, the men on the other side will blow the bridge off and their army will fall into the abyss. We will fall with them. We’re merely a distraction.”

“Then I’ll die with you.” She said, her chin facing up with arrogance. “I want to be where you are at, Kris.”

“N-No! You should go!”

“P-Pardon me for interrupting but I think we’re all damned either way.” Luhan gulped in fear as he saw horses coming through the end of the bridge. “They’re here. The Blue Swords are here.”

Hearing his words, Kris hugged the girl tightly as he took in her scent one last time. Nodding to Luhan, he faced his enemies; ready for death.

--

“Let me go!” Krystal screamed as she tried to run to her sister.

Her attempts were unsuccessful, the reason being that of Sehun holding on to her tightly.

“Let me go I say!” No matter how she kicked and pushed, the girl was still stuck to her companion. “This is a crime! This is manslaughter! Suicide!”

“Sehun! Let me go!”

“I…” His voice was weak with despair. “I can’t. I promised… I promised Luhan.”

--

“I love you, Jessica.” Kris whispered urgently. “I… wanted to ask for your hand in marriage.”

“Do it.”

“It’s… it’s too late.”

“I said do it, Kris.”

“Will you marry me?” He asked reluctantly.

“I, Jessica Jung, take you, Kris Oh, to be my husband, for better or for worse, to love and to cherish. From the start till now and even after death.

Hearing her say her wedding vows, the man chuckled lightly; amazed at how resolved and willful she was.

“I… Kris Oh, take you, Jessica Jung, to be my wife, for better or for worse, to love and to cherish. From the start till now and even after death.”

“Luhan?” She called out to the other who had been watching their antics.

“Y-You may kiss the bride.”

Seeing the two sealing their lips in love touched the man’s heart. Even when the enemy was right in front, Luhan can’t help but think of his own tragic love.

Sehun… I’ll love you after death as well.

“CHARGE!” The commander cried out, his sword high in the air.

Luhan closed his eyes, bracing the after impact of the war.

Some dreams are just not meant to be.

--

“JESSICA!!!!” Krystal bawled as the men started the bombing.

The explosion went off, the bridge cracking slowly before disappearing completely.

“J-Je-Jessica…” She sobbed and Sehun held the girl tighter in his arms, burying his own tears into her hair.

L-Luhan…

--

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down.

London Bridge is falling down, my fair lady!

All you Blue Swords shall go die, shall go die, shall go die.

All you Blue Swords shall go die, my fair lady!

--

The town folks jumped in merry, their joy evident in the chants of their rhymes.

Happiness had never been so loathed and hated before by those who had lost their hopes and dreams.

Once upon a time, they had all had dreams; dreams of happy times where hope still hung in the blue clouds. Once upon a time, that piece of happiness had been ripped and shred apart; a tragedy born right after.

Life had murdered their dreams; and life, as they came to know, had turned meaningless.

Some dreams were never meant to be.

Kris and Jessica managed to fulfill theirs, only to end in tragedy.

Krystal had hers torn apart mercilessly.

Luhan had died, never knowing if his dream will continue moving forward.

Sehun, the dream, could only pray that his own dreams and promises can continue living on.

For once upon a time, they had dreamed a dream.

And once upon an after, those dreams had turned into storms; one that thunders of false hope and shameful tears.

--

a/n

OMG Phew. I was a little late in uploading this but it's still the 12th here where I come from :P I hope people do read through this and comment their thoughts on my work. I know it's a sad ending (I can't help it) but okay. I'll admit. HunHan is cute. LOL. Lots of Love!