--one

I Dreamed a Dream [Happy Birthday Oh Sehun]

 

a/n Any forms of places are all fictional cos I really have no clue and have never been to England ): This was set in the 1700s and everything here are historically inaccurate lol. Enjoy!

--

Ye hear everybody! Do as thou will!

Do as your heart contents for thrill!

But hide your family at all cost!

For a Majesty is arriving and our lands will frost.

The Blue Swords are coming. The Blue Swords are coming!

Run, ye hear? Before you turn to nothing.

For war will take place and us men will defend,

To protect our homes, dear God, amen.

--

1700s, England:

The cold wind blew through the green meadows, carrying the worries of the people of Ashton. War was coming and they could smell it from a distance away.

Long gone were the times where excitement and happiness were evident in town. It had been a few months since His Majesty Clayton had sought out to acquire more lands under the Eastland name. The rebuttal came soon after; his Lord of Brealand, Edgar came proposing a new army to acquire the lands for himself as well.

The stake had been the good people of England. No one knew what was coming for them and in the midst of one’s selfish greed for power, many lives were lost; either dead or bound to serve the Royals.

The people of Ashton were no exception. War had been ongoing but it had yet to reach their town. In all the madness, people divide through their opinions; one siding with either His Majesty or Lord Edgar.

No one was to be trusted; no one was to be talked to. Men stay up at night to watch their families while wives and children were kept away in solitary. Food was scarce and everyone would steal to satisfy their hunger.

As the situation turned frantic, three families stuck by together; their opinions on the war the same.

It was a lost cause.

Sehun didn’t remember when it happened but he clearly remembered running with his family to the Lu’s residence. Their house was large enough to accommodate all three families; the Lu’s, the Oh’s and the Jung’s.

He had been confused to why they were running but he felt assured. Luhan was to live with him and what more could he possibly ask for?

He adored the young man like his own brother and Luhan did too. Kris, his older brother, got along with Luhan as well and the arrival of the Jungs made everything more pleasant. After all, one could always use some female company.

“Do you think they’ll come today?” Sehun questioned as he took shelter under the big tree.

“If they do, we’ll be the first few dead.” Kris joined his brother and took a seat next to him.

“Dying is better than living.” Luhan groaned as he laid his head on Sehun’s lap. “You’d think the situation will calm down but the effect is quite opposite.”

 “It could be worse.” The tallest of them reminded. “At least we’re all together.”

“With who? Jessica?” Luhan teased and he received a punch on his chest. “I’m just saying the truth, mate.”

Sehun chuckled as he agreed with the older figure. It was unavoidable. Feelings fluctuated as soon as they started living in the same roof. Sehun could understand his older brother well.

Ever since they were young, Kris had developed some sort of affection for the beautiful lady. His feelings were never reciprocated until they moved in together that is. The two were to be married if it wasn’t for the war so he guessed blessings could come in disguises as well.

But of course, if they had never moved in together, Krystal wouldn’t have adored Luhan as well. Sehun frowned upon that thought as he imagined what it would be like to share Luhan with another.

Relationships aside, Sehun came to realised that he bore feelings for the older one. How can one not when his whole life had revolved around Luhan? Of course, he wouldn’t tell a soul about his feelings.

The horror!

He’d be staked to death or even burned in Town Square for having developed feelings for a person of the same gender. Sehun decided he would not add more trouble or worries to the families seeing how the war was turning for the worse.

At least Krystal had it easier. She’s a girl!

“Says the man who has the younger one crushing on him.” Kris retorted before sighing. “You know, if it wasn’t for this war, I think I’d be off to work already.”

“Speaking of work.” Sehun grumbled as he remembered. “We’re to get home early today. Mama reminded us to get milk for dinner later.”

“Whose Mama? Mine or yours?” Luhan asked seriously.

“Neither. Jessica’s mother of course.”

“You call her mama already?” Kris exclaimed disbelivingly.

“Well you know, I have to get ready. Her daughter is my sister in law after all!” Sehun laughed before quickly throwing Luhan aside.

As the older one chased his brother, Luhan too can’t help but laugh.

If only there was no war… There’d be more happy times.

--

The front door creaked open, startling the young girl who had wanted to leave the house.

“Good afternoon Luhan, Sehun.” Jessica greeted the two men. “Back so early?”

“We have chores to do.” The older one declared. “Wait, where are you going?”

“To get some cheese. And Krystal.”

“Krystal?” He raised his voice. “Where did she head to?”

“To find you guys.” The girl laughed before patting the man on his back. “Don’t worry. She didn’t go far. I’m more surprised that you guys have not seen her on the way back home.”

“Which is why it’s worrying.” Luhan frowned before getting out again. “I’ll go find her and get the cheese as well.”

“I’ll follow!” Sehun exclaimed only to be declined.

“You’ll stay with Jessica, Sehun.” The man insisted before cackling. “After all, we need a young man to stay at home, you know.”

“The other men in this house are turning old and wrinkly.” He continued whispering but was unfortunately heard.

“I heard that son!” His father’s voice boomed through the room.

“Oops?” Luhan laughed as he took his leave. “I’ll be right back!”

“So…” The girl gave a small smile. “Where’s Kris?”

“Always worried for him, are we now?” Sehun teased. “He’s off to get some milk.”

“Alone?”

“He was too stubborn. He insisted we all went home.” The man sighed as he took a seat. “I’m honestly anxious.”

“For whom?” It was now her turn to provoke him. “Kris or Luhan?”

“Jessica!” Sehun pouted. “That’s our secret!”

“Can’t a girl have fun?” She giggled.

The man shook his head before sticking his tongue out to the young lady. He regretted it ever since Jessica came to knew of his feelings for Luhan.

If only he had shut his mouth…

--

“I… I don’t know how to say this, Luhan, but I like you. I know it’s wrong but I can’t stop myself from feeling this way.” Sehun practiced his lines in front of the mirror.

“Ahhh!” He shook his head fervently. “That’s not it.”

“What’s not it?” A voice came through the door, startling the poor young man.

“J-Jessica! What are you doing here?!”

“Uh, I live here?” She raised an eyebrow. “What were you doing, Sehun?”

“N-Nothing.”

“Lies!” The girl snickered as she circled him. “You were going to confess! To whom?”

“I… I was not!”

“Is it Luhan?” She questioned but the man waved his hands dismissively.

“No! Of course not! How can I… Psh… A man falling for another man…”

“I heard what you said, Sehun. It’s Luhan all right.”

“Then why are you still asking me?!” The man groaned in frustration. “Please don’t tell anyone. I’ll do anything you ask, I promise!”

“O-hoh!” Jessica raised her eyebrows suggestively. “You really like him, do you?”

“I-Is it w-weird? For a man to be liking another man?”

“Why would you think it’s weird?” The girl tilted her head in confusion. “Love is still love.”

“If only…” Sehun sighed. “Others are not as accepting as you are, Jessica.”

“That’s why I’m special.” She giggled before patting him on the shoulders. “But I must let you know… You have a competitor!”

“Who?”

Seeing the immediate frown on his face had the girl choking in laughter. As she left the room, the girl winked to the younger man; her eyes teasing him.

“Krystal.”

--

“We’re home!” Krystal barged in through the front door before slumping herself next to Sehun. “Did you miss me?”

“No.” Sehun rolled his eyes at the girl.

Jessica laughed as she saw how cold Sehun was towards her sister. Such were the results of young love.

“Aww! Look at you two!” Luhan took a seat opposite the two same age friends. “You look quite good together!”

“She only has eyes for you, Luhan.” Sehun slurred. “Only for you.”

If Sehun had only taken a glimpse at Krystal, he would have known that the girl turned a little sad; as per evident in her eyes.

She wasn’t some uneducated young lady living in some town; she read and she loves having to learn new things.

Books taught her of this emotion called love and it was honestly not in her intention to have developed feelings for Luhan. If she had known earlier that Sehun did too, she wouldn’t dare come in between his love for the older one.

There was simply no way for her to rid her feelings for Luhan, now. It was too deep for her to erase and maybe that’s why she feels guilty whenever Sehun said that Luhan was the only one she liked.

You’re so strong, Sehun. If I were you… I would have already faltered.

“They’re coming!” Kris’s voice was heard through the front yard. “The Blue Swords are coming! The Blue Swords are coming!”

Panic and fear rushed through each and every face as they froze, not knowing what to do. The adults who were upstairs ran down, their steps quick and rushed.

Kris who had been outside quickly came into the house and handed the milk bottles over to Jessica and Krystal.

“How did you know?” Sehun’s father asked of him. “How did you know the Blue Swords are coming?”

“I heard it from the milkman himself. The army is apparently near Ashton. They’ll arrive in a day!”

“But the rumors said that they’re off east. That would mean they need a week or two to arrive in Ashton.” Luhan blurted out in fear.

“I guess the rumors are wrong.” Jessica’s mother cried out. “What are we to do?”

“We’ll leave.” Luhan’s father ordered. “Tonight. Pack your belongings. Bring only necessities. Is that clear?”

“W-We can’t just leave.” Luhan protested. “This is our home! We should defend it!”

“And die along the way?!” Sehun’s father questioned. “I’m sorry but I think we can all agree that dying is not the solution. We move forward.”

“B-But Father…” Kris stuttered.

“Our words are final. You kids have no say in this matter!”

The adults left the room, off to prepare themselves for the long journey ahead. The only thing that they could do now was to travel state by state and hope that along the way, a town of brave young men would stop both armies from conquering their homes.

When peace would finally set in, they would return home and everything will go back to the way it was.

“We can’t just leave.” Kris spoke out after they left. “We should fight.”

“N-No.” Jessica prevented him from thinking otherwise. “The Blue Swords are powerful. I heard they’re even stronger than His Majesty’s army. If the Black Knights couldn’t defeat them, we the mere folks wouldn’t be able to as well.”

“She’s right.” Krystal agreed. “We stand no chance. We have to leave.”

“And run from one town to the other?” Luhan retorted. “Do you want to live your life like that?”

“B-But…”

“Even if we die, it would be because we wanted to save our homes and families. That’s honorable.”

“Yes it’s honorable but you’ll die. Have you thought about how your families will feel?” Jessica raised her voice a little higher. “They’ll suffer!”

“No they won’t.” Kris reassured the young lady. “The army would be defeated and everyone can live in peace. It’s a loss for a gain.”

“Sehun!” Krystal grabbed Sehun by his hands. “You have to stop them from this madness! Sehun!”

“B-But I agree with them.” The younger man smiled sheepishly. “I want to fight as well.”

“No you won’t.” Both Kris and Luhan said at the same time. “Someone has to take care of everyone should anything happen to us.”

“T-That’s not fair!”

“Sorry Sehun, but Kris and I have decided on this quite some time ago.” Luhan bowed in apology. “I’m sorry.”

“And what if the army is not defeated, huh?” Jessica turned impatient. “What if you die and you lose?”

“If we do die, some will die along with us as well.” Kris persuaded. “Their armies will shrink and other men will continue fighting.”

“But I don’t want you to die!”

“I’m sorry but this is something we need to do.”

“Take care of everyone.” Luhan turned to Sehun. “Here, this is our letter for each one of you. Only read it when you reach the next town, all right?”

“W-Why are you giving us letters?” Sehun stammered. “When exactly are you leaving?”

“Now.”

The man then proceeded to hug the younger boy before whispering in his ears.

“Tell mama and papa that I love them.”

“L-Luhan. Y-You can’t leave.”

“I have to, Sehun.” The older one squeezed the younger man tighter. “H-Hey. Don’t cry.”

Tears started the drip down Sehun’s face as he realised how real this was. They’re stupid, both of them. This was suicide.

“L-Luhan?” Krystal sobbed as she rubbed her eyes. “Don’t leave.”

“I’m sorry.” Was all he could muster as he planted a kiss on her forehead. “Behave, all right? Stop fighting with Sehun.”

“Kris.” He motioned the man to follow him after he had bid farewell to Jessica. “We should go now.”

The man broke his hug off before kissing Jessica on her cheeks. He muttered an apology before running with Luhan to wherever they might go.

“T-This is r-real, isn’t it?” Sehun hiccupped through his tears. “I… I can’t lose a friend and a brother. I can’t…”

“S-Shh.” Jessica embraced the younger ones in her arms. “W-We c-can.”

--

a/n This had been a somewhat starting glimpse of what will happen. More HunHan are coming your way on the next (and hopefully last) chapter. Lots of Love.