1

Safe Haven

I was standing outside the hospital doors with a heavy heart. I stared at the huge white building before me, my chest tightening, tears threatening to flow. This has always been happening to me for the past months. It took me almost my everything to be able to stop myself from breaking down and collapsing.

With two paper bags on my right hand and a white duffel bag on my left, I took a deep breath and pushed open the big double doors.

First thing I saw was white. White walls, white floors and white uniforms. The strong scent of alcohol, anti-septics and chloroform filled my nose. I hated the smell. I hated hospitals, enough said. But I'm doing this for someone I love. Someone whom I'll risk everything for. 

Ignoring the burning sensation I felt on my nose, I walked to the elevator. "Mr. Do!" the nurse called out. 

I turned to her, "He's been moved. Room 208."  She said, giving me a sweet flirty smile. 

I just bowed slightly and went in the elevator. 

I could see the young nurses giggling to each other as they peeked into the elevator in my direction. I'm attractive, I know, and I'm not oblivious to the fact that I turn just a few more heads in my direction. I'm not boasting nor am I playing hard to get. i just ignore them. I wouldn't need them because everything that I want and everything that I need is right here, in room 208. And I know that one day, my everything would be gone. 

I slowly reached out and touched the cold handle, turning it slowly. I closed my eyes, opened the door and stepped in the room.

I was greeted with the familiar beeping sound of the heart monitor by the bed. Relief shot through me as I heard the comforting sound. I sighed and went by the bed, putting down the bags by the chair. I sat on the chair, holding the warm hand on the bed. 

"Jongin-ah, I'm back again. I brought you some new clothes." I said softly squeezing the hand.

I sat there looking at Jongin's soft, unresponsive face. 

A tear escaped my eye. I remember what the doctor told me the other day. 

"What is it, doctor?" I asked him as I closed the door behind me. 

"Mr. Do, I need to tell you the truth." he said. 

My heart beat faster inside my chest. "You're not going to pull the plug on him, aren't you?" I asked, panic, obviously in my voice. 

The doctor sighed, "We gave you that option, Mr. Do, you know he won't have much time and keeping him plugged won't help." 

I knew what he's saying is true, but at least he's alive. That's more than enough for me. "What was it that you wanted to tell me?" I asked, completely ignoring his last statement. 

"He doesn't have much time left, even if he's hooked to machines, his own body would give up on him. He can't keep this up any longer."

My heart twisted at his words. My chest tightened and I couldn't breathe. "It's much better if you decide to pull the plug. Better in both for Jongin and for your financial state."

"No." I simply said and went back in the room. 

I sobbed, I cried, but not where Jongin could hear or see me. Even if he was in a vegetated state, I know in my heart he could. 

I fixed the blanket on Jongin and said, "I won't give up on you. I love you Jongin, and I'll do anything to keep you alive. Even if it means giving my own life for yours, I'd never let you die." 

Tears sprang out my eyes. I held Jongin's hand and laid my head on the mattress. Next thing I know I was drifting off into sleep. 

"Kyungsoo-ah," a voice called. I'd know that voice anywhere. But I just can't believe I'm hearing it again. 

The musical voice again caressed my name, "Ya. Kyungsoo! Ya, Do Kyungsoo! Wake up!" the voice boomed in my ear as if it was actually there. I forced open my eyes only to be blinded by bright light. 

As my eyes adjusted, I saw a face. A face smiling down at me. He looked heaven sent. It was as if the angels began to sing. I sat up and looked at him with surprised eyes as I saw him wearing his yellow uniform. 

A pang of disappointment resonated through my body. Jongin flicked my forehead like how he usually did. "Ow!" I exclaimed, rubbing my forehead. 

"Ya, pabo. Why are you looking like that? It's as if someone died. Stop it, okay?" Even if he said that in a joking matter, I could hear his worried tone.

One of the many things I loved about Jongin was the way he'd show how he cares. He might come off as an annoying brat, but he cares an awful lot.

It's a dream. I know it is. But maybe dreaming is the only way left for me to see him like this again. 

I pulled Jongin in a tight embrace inhaling his scent." Y-ya. Do K-kyungsoo. What's wrong with you?!" he exclaimed. I pulled away to see a soft blush on Jongin's cheeks. It was only then did I notice that I was also wearing the same uniform. 

"Jongin-ah, let's skip class today." I said. 

Jongin was shocked. How could the pure, straight A student skip class? I'd do it over and over again. "But you never accepted my offers..." he mumbled. 

"And I regret it. I regret not skipping class with you then. I regret not going to Coffioka with you. I regret not going to the bonfire with you. I regret not accepting your offer on spending the summer with you. I regret not spending time with you." I blurted out, tears clouding my vision. 

Jongin caressed my cheek. "Kyungsoo, what is wrong?" he asked. 

Tears started rolling down. "Jongin, I love you. Don't forget that, okay?" I sobbed on his shoulder as he pulled me in.

"I won't. I love you. Forever and always." Jongin leaned in and kissed me softly on the lips.

I missed this feeling. If I could stop time, I'd stop it right here and never play it again. 

"Kyungsoo," he breathed.

"Yes?" I asked.

"I'd love to skip class with you, but I have to go." My chest tightened at his words. 

"Don't go!" I said. 

"Shh. Baby, don't cry. It's okay. Remember, I'll always love you no matter what happens. And Kyungsoo?" Jongin asked as he was fading in the light. 

"Yes?" I asked with tears flowing from my eyes. 

"Sing for me" was his last words before I woke up. 

Just as I woke up, my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID before answering. "Baek?" I answered. 

"Kyungsoo, how are you doing?" he asked. 

"I'm fine, what's up?" 

"Just checking up on you.  Don't worry too much. Jongin will be fine." I muttered a quick thanks before hanging up. 

I stared at Jongin, waiting for some kind of miracle where he'd just wake up. But of course, those miracles only happen in fairytales. 

"Sometimes, I wish that I'd rather live in some stupid, cheesy, cliche fairytale than face reality." I said feeling the warmth of Jongin's hands. 

"Sing for me." a voice said in my head. I remembered Jongin's face fading away while he said that. I sang. I knew how Jongin would feel comforted everytime I sing, so I sang for him. 

   Let's runaway, from these lies. Back to yesterday, safe tonight... 

The lyrics hit me hard. It's everything that I wanted to do right now. 

  I feel the sun creeping up like tic toc. I'm trying to keep you in my head but if not, we'll just keep running from tomorrow with our lips locked. Yeah, you get me begging, begging.. 

I leaned forward and touched Jongin's face.

  Baby, please don't go... If I wake up tomorrow would you still be here? 

The lines were that I was scared of and I didn't dare think them out loud. I was on the brink of insanity. The thought that at any second he might go away was eating me up inside. Every single day ever since he entered his coma, I lived in fear of losing him. The only place where I got my strength was from the mere thought that he might come back. Disregarding its possibility, I still hoped. 

  I don't know, if you feel the way I do. If you leave, I'm gonna find you. Baby, please don't go... 

"Baby, please don't go." I breathed as I fell asleep on the bed beside him.