Chapter 10

Crossroads

 

The day of the reunion.

Today was Friday and the reunion was later in the afternoon. Two nights ago we flew to Jejudo. It took me since this recent Monday for the members get them to come with me (as they say there’s safety in numbers). They didn’t want to since they’re schedule was “full” but it took a lot of effort and with the help of their managers, I convinced them to go with me to Jejudo to accompany me to the reunion. Although it was Eric out of the members who was the only one going with me, I decided that the members should come along as well. Rue and Nate were coming too and they were at Jejudo since three days ago. Coincidentally, Rue’s room and our (Shinhwa’s and mine) rooms were just across each others’.

It was already around 12 noon when I woke up. I got up, dressed and headed to the hotel cafeteria alone to get brunch, since I thought the members were still asleep. "Morning!~" the person behind me put his arm around my shoulder. He was quite cheerful today.

"What do you want now?" I asked. Before he answers I continue, "Forget I asked. Were you waiting for me the whole time to wake up?"

"Now don't be so cold," Joseph says. Tch. Cold, my . "Where are you going?"

Away from you. "The cafeteria." Now leave me in peace.

"Let's go together." Really now?

"Ah wait. I forgot something. How about you go ahead?"

"No, I could wait." Since when did this guy become a leech? So then I gave up trying to ditch this guy since he decided to stick to me the whole time. He watched me eat brunch. To make it less comfortable for me, I said, “Aren’t you hungry?

Nope. Ate already. What’s your agenda for today?

None that includes you, that I'm sure of. Hmm... I don’t know really.” I browsed through my phone, and decided to call the members. “Hello?” I said to the phone.

“Hello?” Andy answered. Yes. No more awkward uncomfortable time with Joseph. My protectors. “Morning!~ Rise and shine bums.”

“We are awake already.” Andy replied. I could loudly hear the noises made by the dorks. “Where are you?”

“The cafeteria. Come with the guys already. I have food. Quick.” We hung up. In three minutes, I caught sight of Andy and the guys. “Oppa over here!” I signaled them to come over to our table.

“Annyeong!” Minwoo greeted.

“Annyeong Minwoo oppa!~”

“Who’s this?” Junjin oppa asked.

“Oh yeah. This is Joseph. He’s an old friend.” Turning to Joseph, “Joseph, this is Minwoo, Junjin, Dongwan, Hyesung, and my brother Andy. You met Eric, remember?

Hello, my name is Shin Hyesung; nice to meet you,” Hyesung said in his not-so-bad English.

Hi, I’m Andy. I’m Sarah’s sister. Nice to meet you.” Andy oppa introduced himself in his still-perfect-after-living-in-Korea-for-x-number-of-years English.

Hello I’m Minwoo.

I’m Junjin. Nice to meet you.

And I’m Dongwan. Nice to meet you.” We all sat down and the boys started to eat. I made sure Andy and Eric sat beside me. While we had a conversation among the eight of us, Jin, Minwoo and Wan were the most quiet because obviously of language barrier but Andy, Eric, Hyesung and I translated for the three.  

After brunch, we parted ways: Joseph gone his own way to my relief and the seven of us back to our rooms. The boys were bored so I suggested we visit my friend Rue. I called her first and told me they just came back from their family bond ing time (they obviously brought baby Leo with them). We knocked on their room door and she opened the door for us with a warm welcome. I remember that it was only Eric and Andy who have been acquainted by my best buds so once again, introductions were held. Nate was holding Leo. After the introductions, I went for the baby. “Hello little one,” I said to Leo who was now observing me with his small brown eyes. “Noona is here.” Nate passed Leo to me and then went to the guys saying, “Leo, say hi to the ajusshis. This is Dongwan ajusshi, Minwoo ajusshi and Choongjae ajusshi.”

“What? Ajusshi?” Minwoo erupted. Hyesung was laughing hard with Eric and Andy.

“Mehrong,” I stuck my tongue out to the three. Then I went nearer the other three. “This is Uncle Eric, Uncle Andy-”

“Annyeong!~” Eric and Andy both said to Leo. I continued, “Then this is Omma bird, Hyesung. The little prince. But now Leo is the Little Prince, aren’t you a prince?” Leo smiled at the prince statement. “Hyesung oppa, you saw the kid. You’re no prince anymore.” This made them laugh even harder; Hyesung started to pout. We spent pretty much the whole afternoon at Rue’s hotel room. I could only apologise for the guys but she said, “It’s okay. I really don’t mind. They’re so cool.”

I realized that Rue and I had two hours to get ready for the social event and and thankfully I had my dress with on the trip. So it was not a hassle now. The only thing I had to worry about was to fix my hair since until now I still can’t manage to curl my hair by myself. With the straightener. Either I might burn myself (thankfully has never happened) or not even get it right so whenever I use it, I end up straightening my hair instead. We kicked the boys out including Leo out of Rue’s room, leaving the place to ourselves. We told the guys to get ready as well and they went to their hotel rooms to get dressed. Even Nate was kicked out with the guys. “Sorry Nate. Girl time.” I said sheepishly.

“So what’s up?” I asked Rue.

“Well you know, crying in the middle of the night, messed up sleeping schedule.”

“It’ll get better.”

“What about you?”

“Eric proposed to me recently.”

“Proposed? As in will-you-marry-me propose? Oh my god.”

“Yeah.”

“And?”

“And? What do you mean ‘and’?”

“Obviously, what did you tell him?”

“I said ‘Yes’.”

“Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!”

“Calm down bro. Yes, I’m engaged. Big deal.”

“Yeah. Really a big deal,” she said. I sighed. “Wae? Why the sigh?”

“Two weeks ago...” I told her the story of when we met up, bringing Eric with me that day then Joseph sending me flowers to work, then to the point I got injured for releasing too much stress, until when Eric proposed to me not a week long ago.

“Wow. That's a lot for three weeks."

"Remember what our old English teacher in high school said, 'A lot can happen in a day.' How much more in a week? A month?"

"True." We dressed up and Rue curled my hair after I wore my dress. Rue wore a simple purple dress with matching black simple wedges, while I wore that same gold and black sparkly dress (when Jiyeon unnie had me 'kidnapped' for that summer masquerade party last year) then applied a little bit of makeup; I wore my newest favorite pair of stilettos. While my hair was getting fixed, I stared at the ring on my finger. The same engagement ring that Eric gave me when he proposed to me. Exactly four nights ago.

After two hours, we finished and were set to leave for the reunion party. Rue walked hand in hand with Nate who is now dressed in a suit as well with Leo, and while I did the same with my six knights. The six men stared at me. "What? Do I have something in my face or what?"

"Aniyo. Our Sarah is just beautiful as always." Dongwan oppa complimented me.

"Thank you." I bowed ballerina-style. "Of course I look good-"

"Pffffshh." Andy contradicted.

"Okay ajusshi. Just kidding. You guys look good too."

We walked to the place of the event. People were starting to come as well by the time we arrived. The social is held near one of the hotel pools. It was a grand occasion and it was nice (and maybe overwhelming) to see familiar faces from school. We sat our tables. There was me, Shinhwa, Rue and Nate and an empty spot.

People started coming. I told Rue and Nate to go socialize and talk with old friends assuring her that Leo will be fine with me. I told the rest of Shinhwa to do so but they'd rather stay with me and look after Leo. A figure approached our table.

"It's been a while," the man said.

"Hello, William. How are you?" William was a sunbaenim, two years my senior. He was one of my old friends and neighbor back then.

"I'm good. How are you?"

"Still kicking." We shared quite a story of how each of us is doing well. Over the years William has been working as a nurse and currently living on his own, still in Winnipeg.

"It's all good. You seem to have company," William noticed.

"Oh yes." I introduced the boys and baby Leo. "Leo is my friend Rue's child."

"I thought you already have a kid," William joked. "I was gonna say you're fast. I don't even have a girlfriend yet."

I laughed at his observation. "Nope. No little ones yet. When are you getting married? You're old."

"Ah.. Still waiting for the right girl." This guy is getting old though. "How about you?"

I showed him my left hand. "You're married?"

"Soon. Engaged." I said beaming with a smile.

"Really? Congratulations!" He said. "So... Who's the lucky guy?"

"Eric." Eric held me closer to him, both of us smiling happily. His arm was wrapped around my shoulder.

"Congratulations to both of you, Mr. Mun."

"Please call me Eric," Eric smiled.

"Eric-sshi."

"Thanks," I said.

"I should get going now. The party's starting any time now as well. Best of wishes to both of you. Enjoy the evening."

"Thanks, William. You too. And keep in touch."

 


A/N: The awaited party... What's gonna happen now?

I'm sorry if things are getting teally confusing for you guys. I'm confused too. LOL.