Those who run

Our Gift

Our Gift

CHAPTER TWO

Those who run

 

 

 

Beijing, Asia

 

Kai groaned as his blanket flew away and landed in a faraway corner of the small room.

 

- Get up!

 

Kris' voice echoed painfully in Kai's head and the latter let a low mumble, keeping his hands glued to his ears. The blond boy was staring at his friend, quite annoyed by the lack of response he got.

 

- Come on Kai! We need to move!

- We already moved three days ago, protested the smaller.

- Apparently Bora saw some Chasers yesterday. They were collecting information about the presence of Gifted.

- And I still don't understand why that would make us move, answered swiftly Kai. I mean, yeah sure, there were chasers but it's not the first time that happens and if I remember well we weren't hiding each time. (He paused for a while, thinking). We weren't actually hiding three quarters of the time.

 

Kris sighed, Kai was getting on his nerves. Of course, Kris was not the most patient man and Kai was definitely naturally annoying him. However they were both friends, best friends even, and they knew each other since birth. Or that was what they liked to believe because, come on!, who could remember what happened when they were two or three?

The two boy sure were a strange match. Kris was stubborn, bossy, serious and responsible when Kai was easy-going, flirty, childish and a total drama queen. People that knew them always confessed that they could not understand at first how those two managed to live together without trying to murder the other. This was the first impression Kris and Kai gave. But for the few persons who actually befriended them, the boys were not an odd combination. Not at all. To put it bluntly Kris and Kai were each other's half. Not in the sense that they were soul mates or something along those lines (Kris would snicker if you even said that while Kai would burst into laughter at your stupidity). The "K-duet" (as Kai liked to call themselves) was just two friends that supported each other, their qualities compensating for their flaws.

 

- Bora told me that the Chasers caught one of those addicts completely high. After he found his way back from his own little paradise, they gave him the choice of either rotting in jail or telling names. Guess which option he chose and what names he provided ?

- We didn't use our Gift recently Kris, observed Kai. That dude couldn't give our names if he didn't know we had it.

- Do you know how many rumours are spread around about who is and who is not gifted ?, pointed Kris. We didn't use our powers but people can sense it. Think about it, what kind of guys would live in a crappy flat by themselves? The fact that we are young and alone is enough to give life to a rumour. We are new in this part of the city, of course people would give our names first and I don't think the Chasers take time to check. Being threatened by dudes dressed in black with weapons and Gifts can make a lot of people talk, whether what they are saying is true or not.

 

Kai passed a hand through his hair, ruffling the back of it and successfully accentuating a bit more his "just awakened" look. He then proceeded to get out of bed. While he put a jacket on, Kris scanned the area through the room's window. Everything seemed alright, no Chasers on the streets. Kai grabbed some faded clothes and hastily put them in a backpack. He was going to add some food but Kris stopped him.

 

- Don't bother, I already packed. Just take your clothes.

- Not like I have something else to bring anyway.

 

Kris and Kai were both orphans, raised by an old woman who passed away when Kai turned twelve. Kris, who was thirteen at that time, decided that they could stay a bit longer in the woman's house. However, troubles don't come alone and Kris' Gift awakened suddenly. Hoping to not being noticed as a Gifted when you make a huge dragon appear in the middle of a market is impossible and the two boys had to escape the Chasers sent by the Organization. Kris escaped because he didn't want to be bossed around by strangers and Kai followed because he was lost without Kris. Good thing that he did though because his own Gift was to be awaked about one month after Kris'. From that day, Kris and Kai began to move from one city to another, avoiding the Organization.

They had spent about three months in Beijing but it seemed they had to move again, to go even further.

 

- Will Bora help us to leave?, asked Kai as he closed his bag.

- She told me to meet her at the bar.

 

Kai nodded pensively and threw his bag over his shoulder.

 

- Let's go.

 

Kris took his own bag and left the flat, followed by Kai. The streets were empty; it was still early in the morning after all. But Kris didn't like that kind of empty. It was too calm, too relaxing. Kai moved closer to the older.

 

- Do you also feel something odd ?

- Yeah, agreed Kris, I don't know what they are preparing but they are definitely waiting for someone.

- Us ?

- Maybe.

- Should we run for a bit?

Kris didn't answer but began to sprint behind Kai, following carefully his friend's steps. As they reached a junction, three caped figures appeared at their right. Kris cursed under his breath. Kai ran faster, Kris imitated him and the Chasers did too.

 

- We are never going to lose them at that pace!, yelled Kai without looking behind him.

- Just take the longest way!

 

Kai groaned and suddenly turned left in a narrow alley. He ran for a few seconds then turned again, Kris' eyes fixed on his back. Left, right, left, left again, right, left, right, ... And when the boys came out on a small and dark street, they knew the Chasers had lost them. Kai inhaled deeply, filling his lungs as Kris checked quickly the area.

 

- I don't think they will find their way. At least not now. We should continue, said Kris.

- Lead me, I don't know the rest of the streets.

 

Kris silently walked along the filthy street. It was too narrow, animal corpses rotted here and there, dirty water messed the tiles of the pathway. If you were not careful enough you could slip on some doubtful mixture. Kai really did not want to know what it exactly was, lining the street. Kris did not seem to have any problems in finding where to go. He was the one who collected information about the Organization, he was used to progressing in those alleys.

After nearly ten minutes of walk, Kris stopped in front of an old wooden door. It was tagged and Kai could clearly sentences such as "I have been there", "Lili and Dean", "The Organization is a bunch of retarded", "I hate the Emperor". And other less poetic expressions. Kris knocked on the door. Two knocks. A short pause. Three more knocks. Almost immediately a little girl opened the door and gave Kris and Kai one of those large smiles that make you feel warm and fuzzy.

 

- Hey Yoojung, is Bora there?, asked Kris.

- She is upstairs.

 

Yoojung shifted to let Kris and Kai enter. The taller directly went upstairs as Kai and Yoonjung followed. The girl opened a room and took a look inside.

 

- Kris is here with his friend.

- Let them in.

 

Yoojung nodded and opened completely the room. Kris and Kai were met by the sight of a thin black-haired girl that wore a small smirk. She waved at Kris and then looked at Kai, holding out her hand.

 

- Nice to meet you Jongin, I'm Bora, your "informer".

- I would prefer to go by Kai if you don't mind.

- Sure, Bora shrugged.

 

She took a chair and nodded toward two others.

 

- You guys can sit. (She looked at her little sister). Could you bring us some coffee Yoojung?

 

The youngest let a quiet giggle and left to get drinks. Bora fixed the door, lost in her own thoughts for a couple of seconds before shaking her head and reporting her attention on her guests.

 

- So, you need help to leave Beijing ?

- Yes, said Kris, Kai and I were followed by three Chasers earlier. We lost them in the alley labyrinth. I don't think it would be a good idea to push our chance and stay longer in Beijing.

- I understand. (Bora let her gaze flicker at the ceiling.) I know somebody who could help you. However he might ask for a compensation.

- We are inclined to pay anything if we are sure to escape quietly.

 

Bora bit her upper lip and was about to say something but quickly closed again as Yoojung stepped inside the faded green room with cups of coffee.

 

- Thank you Junggie, smiled Bora as her sister served everyone.

 

She waited for her to quit the room and close the door before talking.

 

- My contact is called Lee Changsun. He goes by Joon though. I'll give you his adress. Just go there and tell him I sent you. He'll help you.

 

 

 

 

Kris and Kai had taken a short nap at Bora's. They had left earlier in the evening, while Yoojung was asleep. Kai had discovered that Kris had a huge soft spot for the girl and was almost considering her as a little sister. Which explained why the older wanted to leave while she was not able to see them. Kris had always hated to say goodbye. Especially when it was to somebody he was attached to.

They had a hard time finding Joon's place. It was well hidden, you had to take small alleys, turn a lot. One could easily get lost. But they made it and they were now seated on an old couch which smelled like wet dog fur. Kai had nearly lost his right ear when Joon opened the door. Luckily he was quick enough to half-scream that they were sent by Bora. After that Joon had excused himself and let them sit in the living room while he prepared coffee. Kris and Kai did not have the heart to tell him they had already drunk earlier twice the normal amount of caffeine one would need.

When Kris explained that they needed help to leave Beijing Joon stayed silent for a while. He let out a loud sigh and stood up, stretching his arms.

 

- I can help you. But you might have to add another person to our expedition list.

- What do you mean?, asked Kai, totally confused.

- I found this girl two days ago. Pink-reddish hair. Small. And more important, wounded. I tried to heal her a bit and she woke up this morning. She just had the time to tell me she needed to escape before fainting again. I have no idea who she is and where she comes from but when people ask for help I give them some. If you two want to leave Beijing I'll help you but you will have to wait for the girl to be healed enough to travel.

 

Kris and Kai exchanged a look. Having to push their departure was not pleasing them but Bora explained them Joon was the best.

 

- Good enough, muttered Kris. We will wait.

- Perfect, beamed Joon. I'll show you where you can sleep.

 

As the three of them went upstairs, Joon leading them to an empty room, Kris saw through a half-open door a pale girl, around his age, sleeping in a bed. He caught glimpse of a shoulder wrapped in bandages.

However he was too tired to ask anything about her condition to Joon and just let his body sink in the mattress when their host left them alone. He will investigate tomorrow.

 

 

 


Hey guys! How are you all ?

I hope you like the story, it is stil a bit confusing since it's the beginning. You'll have some action soon!

Okay, now I have some questions, what would you guys think of a side pairing Narsha/Gain ? It wouldn't take a big place, more like details. I like strange couples so prepare yourself xD (just kidding!)

I'd like to have your opinion up till now on the story :)

And until next update, bye ~