Chapter 1

Complicated Love

 

“Oppa! It’s hot!!”

“Yah! Who told you to drink it? I told you to wait for the mocha to cool down right?”

Ilmi put down a cup of mocha on the table. She rests her chin on her palm. Junhong sipped his coffee. She looked at Junhong then turned her attention out of the cafe’s window.

“I want to go back to Malaysia. I miss my family so much. I miss my mum and dad.”

“You moved here without your parents’ permission and now you want to go back? Don’t you remember what your mum said when you told her you moved here? She asked you to work hard and be a good girl, right? Now worked hard and make your parents proud of you.”

“Ah arasseo, arasseo. I will. I promised them and I’ll never break my promise. Moreover, I was the only child. I really want my parents feel proud and happy of me.”

Ilmi grabbed her cup of mocha and starts to drink it. Junhong then patted her head and smiled.

“Ilmi, fighting! I know you can do it. Aja aja!!”

Both of them walked home together. A few minutes later, the snow starts to fall. Ilmi looked to the sky and cheer happily.

“Oppa, it’s snowing!!! Oh my God, I can’t believe it. I walked in the snow. I’m playing in the snow!!”

“Yah yah stop cheering and jumping like that. You make me embarrassed.”

“Oppa, I’m sooooo happy. You know that I really want to play in the snow right? It’s hard to play in the snow in Malaysia since it’s only hot and humid there.”

“Yea, I know. I once lived there tho~”

Han Ilmi and Choi Junhong are friends since their childhood. Their fathers are business companion. Junhong and his family moved to Korea when Junhong is 14 years old while Ilmi moved to Korea when she’s 16 years old. Junhong is one year older than Ilmi.

Ilmi moved to Korea because she thinks Korean boys are so good-looking. She loves to surf the Internet and reblog photos on Tumblr. One day, she saw a photo of perfectly amazing good-looking Korean boys named Lee Chi Hoon. She saw an “#ulzzang” tag on the photo of Lee Chi Hoon. She asked her mother what’s the meaning of ulzzang and her mother said that ulzzang literally means best face and good looking.

Since then, she kept searching for photos of ulzzang on Tumblr and reblog it especially the photos of Lee Chi Hoon, Park Tae Jun, Park Hyung Seok and Park Ji Ho. She starts to love Korean boys and decided to move to Korea because she thinks Koreans are pretty, adorable, handsome and cute.

She moved to Korea without telling her parents because she afraid that her parents might be angry. When she arrived in Korea, she called Junhong to take her at the airport. Junhong went to the airport with his family.

“Whoa Ilmi! It had been a long time since I’m not seeing you.”

“I know right? Oppa, I miss you~”

“I miss you too. So why did you moved here? Did you moved here alone? Where’s your parents?”

“Actually.... My parents don’t know that I moved here.”

All the eyes in the car are on Ilmi. Mr Choi stopped the car by the roadside. Mrs Choi called Ilmi’s mum and talked about Ilmi. Mrs Choi then hand in her phone to Ilmi.

"Yeo---- Yeoboseyo?"

“Han Ilmi!! Why don’t you told us that you want to move there?”

“Eomma~~”

“You’re seriously crazy huh? I’m.... I'm so dissappointed with you.”

“Eomma mianhae~ jeongmal mianhaeyo. Eomma, you know that I really want to live here right? Please, let me live here.”

“What if your dad knows about this?”

“I know you can deal with it, eomma.”

Mrs Han took a deep sighed. She’s upset.

“Arasseo. I’ll said to your dad that I asked you to move there and live with Mrs Choi.... Han Ilmi, please work hard and be a good girl. Please don’t be such a burden to Mr and Mrs Choi. Work hard and make your dreams come true. I’ll root for you. Honey, promise me that you’ll never forget your parents here.”

“I got it eomma. I promise. Saranghaeyo~~”

Tears start to fall down on Ilmi’s cheeks. Junhong who saw it wipe her tears. The call ended. She hand in the phone back to Mrs Choi. Ilmi looked out of the car windows. She hoped Junhong, Mr and Mrs Choi didn’t noticed that she’s crying.