First Bloom

My Flower Daisy

 

 

 Daisy woke up the next day with a new vigour and a new meaning for life. Somehow, she believed now that dreams really do come true. She always thought that as a fan, once you meet your star, you would want even more from him. But for Daisy, strangely enough, this was all that she had asked for. I got to meet him; that is what I wanted – she thought to herself.

Daisy prepared food for herself and Jen and left for work after leaving a note for Jen as she was fast asleep. Work was just as usual and somehow, the day was very pleasant. Her classes went well, her colleagues were happy and supportive today. Just as she was leaving, though, she got laden with some emergency work. Not wanting to spoil her good spirit, Daisy decided to convert her energy into work and do it as soon as possible. By the time she finished with work, it was already 7:30. She was going back home when she realized how tired she was. She stopped at a restaurant near her workplace and she called up Jen to tell her that she’ll buy something for dinner. Jen had been so tired that she didn’t even think of making dinner, which was a good thing, for two reasons: one, that she needn’t tire herself and two, she was the worst cook on the entire planet.

Daisy got in and placed order for Jen’s favourite dishes, paid for them and waited outside in the car for the delivery. There came a soft tapping at her window and she rolled down to receive the delivery. But it was somebody else. I have seen this girl somewhere before –Daisy thought to herself.

“Hey, I was wondering, didn’t we meet yesterday?”

“I was thinking the same thing. I know you. Have we met before?”

“You forgot so soon? We met yesterday? I am a staff at Tree J.”

“Oh yeah, sorry, with all my work and stress, your face just went out of my mind; totally.”

“Oh. That’s disappointing, for my ego.” She giggled. “Would you mind helping me with something? I was buying some antiques at the shop next door. It’s something traditional and if you could help me see whether it’s genuine or not, it’d be great.”

Daisy was not in the mood for more work but she didn’t want to be rude. She pulled out her tired body from the car and walked lethargically to the shop.

“How’s this?” A man stepped out, wearing a traditional Malaysian outfit. It was really cute. But he didn’t mean to ask this to her and it was evident on his face. “ I am sorry, I thought you were my secretary. I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“O.  . OH no! It’s okay. She called me here to help her with something. By the way, this suits you so well. It’s called a Baju Melayu, if you didn’t know.”

“Baju Melayu, hmm, nice. I like it. It suits me, right? I am handsome like that. Anything would suit me.”

“Ha, ha. Yes! Anything would suit you.”

“Ah, you agree! Shall I wear you?”

“What?” Daisy felt her head buzzing. His smile was like a spell. It made her addicted to him even more. It had a certain magnetic pull, which made her want to do stuff to him. He looked great in that traditional wear. Only if he were mine, she thought.

“Nothing, nothing. I was just teasing you. Want to elope with me? I want to tease my secretary a little. I saw a small café on my way here. Shall we go there?”

“Sure.”  Daisy didn’t know another answer. Was there even another option?

They walked into the dimly lit café and occupied a quiet corner. Suk had now changed back into his normal clothes, a white shirt and beige, knee-length pants. He looked handsome in that and with his wavy hair all over his face; he looked the prince he was. The waiter soon came and took the order. They both ordered café latte and waited for the order to arrive.

Sitting in that corner, it gave them the advantage of spying on anyone who came through the door. As soon as they saw the secretary walking in, Suk executed his plan: He pulled Daisy closer and held her in a pose, which would seem as if they’re kissing to anybody else. The secretary saw the two lovers kissing, she smiled and walked out.

“It was so easy to trick her!” Suk said, peeping through Daisy’s hair at the door.

“Ha, ha. Yeah.” Daisy had already turned pale. She felt her heart pounding in her head. She could just faint right now. But now, she will have to hold on.

They drank their coffee, and Suk caught hold of her hand and walked out of the café.

“Your boyfriend is very handsome!” The café owner called out.

Daisy was giggling and blushing like a newlywed bride.

Suk looked at her and felt his pulse racing.

Daisy could feel his hand turning warmer. Does he. .  .feel different now?  She thought to herself.

“Are you ready for an adventure? I have something on my mind.” He said quietly.

“Why not? I am game.” Daisy said cheerfully.

Suk texted to his secretary while Daisy drove towards her home. When she reached there, Jen was already waiting for her, outside the place.

“Hey, what took you so long? I was worried.”

“I’m sorry. Some  . . thing came up.”

“Ah. . “ and then she saw the man in the car, “I SEE!”, she added loudly.

“Be quiet. Suk has some plan. I don’t wanna miss the chance. I’ll be back when I’m back, okay? This is like the one thing I want to do in life. Mwah!”

Daisy hugged Jen.

“Take this”, Jen gave her two big bars of chocolate. “I was imagining all sorts of things so I was waiting here with them. These are for you. Eat! You must be dead tired.”

“Yes, I will. I love you!”

Daisy got back into the car and offered the chocolates to Suk.

“Wooh! You’re friend’s so thoughtful! I was really feeling hungry! But tell me, where’s the nearest beach?”

“It’s about 30 minutes away.”

“What are we waiting for then?”

As Daisy started the car, Suk placed a piece of chocolate in . His fingers touched her tongue and she felt a pang of ecstasy. She wanted more of THAT sweet.

She drove as fast as she could and they reached the nearest beach. They entered a seaside restaurant and had the most delicious seafood platter she’s ever had. Suk was content and it was evident in his face. It was dark and the moon shone on them. They started walking on the beach, the sand tickling their feet, their shoes in their hands.

“Ah, I have always wanted to do this.” Suk said quietly.

There was a sense of melancholy and a strange sense of happiness in his words.

“Me too. I have never been able to do this, even though I have lived here for so many years now.”

“Life is strange, isn’t it? We never get to do the things we want to do, but still we think there’s something good waiting for us. I mean, not everybody’s life is full of happiness, but almost everyone hopes for something better. They never think it’d get worse from here.”

“Well, depends on what your definition of happiness is, you know. I can be happy with the little I have whereas you can be unhappy with the lot you have. Or vice versa. It’s all dependent on us. The human, the person.”

“Wow, you’re right. You know, you sound like me. I think there’s something in you that IS me. I felt that the very first time I saw you.”

“At the restaurant?”

“No.” Suk laughed and there was something outlandish about it. “No, it was at the airport.”

“Really?”

“Yes, you left just as I was getting out. I saw you with your friend. There was something about you. And you didn’t even notice me. I thought you didn’t know me. I realized otherwise at the restaurant. But still, I wonder how you didn’t feel me at the airport.”

I did “feel” him there- Daisy thought. But she thought it too juvenile to actually voice her thoughts.

“I cannot hide my feelings but I need to ask. Can I kiss you?”

Too stunned to answer, Daisy smiled nervously and lowered her face.

Suk knew his cue and he gently cupped her face and sunk his own into the ocean of love. The moon shone rather mysteriously over the couple. And the stars twinkled.

It felt like centuries to Daisy. They kissed for a long time. Longer than dinosaurs, longer than evolution itself, she thought.

Suk gently released her and she turned towards the sea, smiling. But she was delving in her thoughts and suddenly, Suk brought his hands around her, from behind. No, he was actually putting something around her neck. It was a simple, silver chain, with a ring on it. It looked like a bright platinum ring and there was a pale blue stone on it, shining brilliantly in the moonlight.

“I’ll be back for this ring. You have to safe-keep this for me. Got it?”

“Ha, ha. Just this? Or anything else?”

“There’s something else too, but I’ll call you and tell you about it soon. For that I’ll need your number.”

He took her fone from her handbag and fed his number onto it. And gave a call from it to his own.

“Now that it is done, what do you want to do?”

“I want to sleep here on the beach and wake up to the sunset. Why? Would you do that with me?”

“Is that a question even?” Daisy was shocked. Her trifling statement was taken so seriously.

“No, I was kidding. Sukkie, you’re a celebrity. You can’t do that.”

“Sukkie..” , there was a naughty smile on his face. “I like the sound of that. And you know me, don’t you? I don’t give a damn. But I don’t know you. So, let me know you. Let’s talk tonight, under the stars, under the unending skies.”

“Ah, you’re so stubborn!”

“I’m glad you didn’t call me “oppa”. Else, I’d have broken up with you right away.”

“Ah, wae, Oppa!!” Daisy laughed at him as she .

“Ah. . you!!” And soon they were running about on the beach.

The night soon came back in the garments of the day. They saw a red sun emerging from the middle of the ocean.

“This is heaven.” Daisy looked at Suk.

“You’re my heaven.” He slowly buried his face onto hers, with a sweet kiss scenting her beautiful lips.

“Ah, you’re good at this.”

“I’m good at a lot of things. You’ll soon get to see.” He winked. “I’ll leave today. But I’ll be back soon. Trust me. I know this is how things happen in movies and stories but I am not fooling around.”

“For those who have known you, it’s very easy to believe that you’ll be back. I know you, Sukkie. I’ll wait.”

“Thank you.” He didn’t let her speak for a long time.