First Meeting

Breathe in, Breathe out.

 

 

"Who's yours Anita?" 

I stare out the window of the cafe we were sitting in. I had lost interest in the conversation a long time ago. An annoying poke in my arm pulls me back into it. Hyo Rin looks at me rather annoyed from across the table. I smile as cute as I can, and say "I'm sorry, I didn't hear. What did you say?" She sits up and put a magazine in front of me. The picture in the magazine she's holding is showing 6 boys standing next to each other with a matching clothing concept. It's an idol group. "I asked you who's your bias, Anita. You need one for later today. And don't say "I'll go with the one none of you pick" again, it's gotten old a long time ago. It's your turn to decide!" Oh great, I thought to myself. I have no idea who these guys are. "That one." I mumble and point at the guy to the far left. He had a ruffled up hairstyle and a hat on his shoulder. He didn't look half bad. Hyo Rin looked over the magazine to see where I pointed. "OH! JUNHYUNG! REALLY??" I look at her nervously and smile. "Yeah, really." Hyo Rin is pleased. I earned myself 5 more minutes of staring out the window. 

This time I'm not able to let my thoughts drift away. I listen to my friends talk about tonight. Hyo Rin, Si Yeon and Min Ah got used to me being passive to the whole preparation session at the cafe. They were just happy I tag along every time. They've put their heads together over the magazine and are talking rather loudly about how much fun tonight is going to be. I shudder. We're headed for a fan meeting, or a 'high-5 meeting'. You get to high five your idols and, if you're lucky, talk to them a little. It's one of my least favorite things to do. There is always a big crowd, and I always get nervous around big crowds. All of a sudden Si Yeon says something about a party after the meeting. I sharpen my ears a bit. "... and if we wear these, we'll get in no matter what happens." I close my eyes and sigh. They're gonna do something stupid again. I decide not to get involved and stand up. "We should get going." Synchronized, they all look at their watches. "We'll be early." Min Ah says and looks up at me. Yeah no kidding, I think to myself. I just don't want you guys to plan something stupid and embarrass yourselves. "By what, 5 minutes? Let's go!" I drag Se Yeon, who is sitting the closest to me, up and pull her with me to the door. The two others follow shortly. 

 

"Ahhh so many people headed this way! We have to hurry! You were right about leaving early, Anita." Min Ah starts skipping over to the line over by the table. We're not too far from where the idols will be sitting in an hour or so. Looks like we'll be some of the first to exchange palm sweat, I think to myself and smile at the silly thought. A huge banner with a logo has been hung up at the wall behind the table. "B2ST". "B-tw.. B-two.. B-two-st." i whisper into my scarf. Why on earth are there no normal band names these days? After 45 minutes of standing in line, I start getting nervous. There are a lot of people here now. I start swallowing and sweating. My hands get moist. I make my way out of the line and head for the bathroom. Before I am able to go far, Sin Yeon grabs a hold of my jacket. "Wowowow! Where do you think you're going? It's about to start!" I turn around to face her, and hold up my hands. "Palm sweat. Don't want to embarrass us all when the idols come out, huh?" Sin Yeon lets me go, but tells me to get back fast. They could be here any minute. I promise I'll be fast and start walking to the bathroom again. Once I'm out of sight to my friends, I start running. I run without looking where I'm going. I just know where I'm headed. I take a left into the hall where the bathrooms are and burst into the door to the left. My heart is racing, my mouth is dry, I'm out of breath and I'm sweating. All my usual symptoms, only way stronger due to me running. I'm glad I did, though. It gives me an excuse. All the doors in to the toilets are open, except for one. However, it doesn't seem to be locked. I'm all alone. I lean against the wall and fall down to the floor. I sigh and bury my head in my hands. You're being silly, I tell myself. They're just people, just like yourself. They are nothing to be afraid of. I start crying. After all the fanmeetings and concerts I've attended, I have never once started to cry. I hear a door opening. Someone was in here! I get up, dry my tears and start pulling out paper towels, both to dry my eyes and hands. 

"Are you okay?" I get startled at the sound of another person speaking. "I-I'm fine." I mutter and keep on pulling out paper towels. I all of a sudden feel a need to look busy. "Are you sure? Because if you're fine, I don't think you would rush into the mensroom and start crying like that." I stop pulling paper towels. First now I realized that the voice talking to me was a mans voice. I close my eyes slowly and curse at myself silently. "I am so sorry," I say and turn around. "I was just-" I stop talking. The man in front of me is looking at me, tilting his head a bit and smiling. My nervousness disappears instantly. Never before have I felt like this while knowing there is a crowd of people nearby. "You were just?" He says while laughing. I blush and look down. "I was just.. confused. That's all." I bow slightly and apologize again. The man just laughs. "It's okay. We all make mistakes. Besides, it's not like I own this place either. I can't tell you what you can do and cannot." I get up and smile back at him. "Yeah, I guess you're right. So yeah, my friends are waiting for me in line. I should take off. Don't want to miss the awesome 6 men of B-two-st now do we!" The man starts laughing again, only that this time it's genuine laughter. He's really enjoying himself. I blush even more. What the crap did I say? I think to myself. The man calms himself down and looks at me while smiling again. "What's your name?" I raise my eyebrows. We just met in a public restroom, and he wants my name. Ahuh. "I forgot." The man tilts his head and looks a little disappointed. "Oh come on. Don't be like that! I promise I won't stalk you and try to know what you're doing at all times. Just because I know your name, doesn't mean I know you!" He has a playful look on his face, but I can tell in his eyes that he's being very serious about what he's saying. He seems okay enough, and pretty cute. Oh what the hell, I think to myself. "My name is Anita." I say and smile crookedly. He smiles and looks to the ceiling. "Anita, huh. Nice name! Allow me to introduce myself, Anita. My name is Yang Yoseob."