Eight

Just One of the Guys

Eight

One week passed in which Amber struggled to balance school, dancing, homework and her new branch of social life.  It had now been two weeks since she had adopted the guise of Aiden, a period of time that had felt like forever.  After seeing the boys and Kitae almost every day she had been desperate for a break and so had declined an offer to spend time with them in Myeongdong.  Instead she decided to spend the day with the girls, despite that meaning a much more feminine shopping trip at the local shopping centre.  She wasn’t such a tomboy that she disliked shopping, but her preference for guys clothes always meant that her and her female friends ended up in different departments.  Luna, Victoria, Krystal and Sulli were used to this though, and so they spent most of the expedition running into the men’s clothing to show Amber what they had found.

 

“I can’t believe you found another hat unnie.  Don’t you have enough?” Sulli commented as they left another shop, making their way through the bustling centre.  Amber had bought yet another baseball cap to add to her ever growing collection, liking the red and gold colours of it.

 

“I can’t help it, I see designs I like and I have to buy.  It’s not like they sit around, I wear them all,” she replied, the bag lovingly and the girls all chuckled as Sulli rolled her eyes.  Amber grinned broadly at the brunette, who skipped ahead as she spied something of interest.

 

“I need the bathroom,” Victoria mentioned and Amber nodded in agreement, the pair branching off and leaving the others to wait for them.  Entering the bathroom both girls were silent, politely bowing to an older woman they passed by.  It wasn’t until they were washing their hands that Victoria spoke again.  “I’m glad you came with us today instead, I’ve been missing you.”

 

“So am I, Sulli and Krystal are driving me nuts.  I barely have time for homework too.”

 

“Give it up already Amber.  Tell them that Aiden has to go back to the States, Sulli and Krystal can hold their own now.”

 

“I can’t.”

 

“Why not?” Victoria asked with concern, and Amber stared at her steadily through the mirror.

 

“You know why, I’m trapped in it all,” she said, turning off the tap and flicking her hands.  Victoria followed as she moved to grab some paper towel, drying her limbs.

 

“That’s such an excuse Amber,” Victoria commented good naturedly.  “I don’t think you want to leave.”

 

Amber scoffed at the suggestion, shaking her head vigorously.  Victoria grinned knowingly as she fell into step behind the girl, heading for the door.  They were both shocked as Amber pulled open the door, only for it to be ripped from her and slam shut again as a figure appeared.  Amber and Victoria blinked rapidly as they stared at Kitae, who was leaning against the door.

 

“You are so lucky Luna knows how to give subtle signs,” she said sternly and with a gentle nudge the two stepped backwards.  Victoria gave Amber an inquisitive glance as they were chauffeured back towards the sinks.  “What on earth are you doing here?”

 

“I could ask you the same thing, I thought you were supposed to be Myeongdong,” Amber pointed out and Kitae snapped her head up to regard the girl.  Letting out a sigh, she leant against the counter and despite the situation Amber couldn’t help but notice how nice she looked in her dress and wedge heels.

 

“We decided after you declined to just come here instead.  Jesus, that was a close call,” she answered, holding a hand over her heart and Amber took a step forward.  She was interrupted by Victoria though, who had beaten her to the girl, holding out her hand.

 

“Hi, we’ve never been properly introduced, I’m Victoria,” she introduced and Kitae shook her hand, bowing with a smile on her face.  “So the boys are out there talking to Sulli, Krystal and Luna?  How on earth did Luna manage to warn you?”

 

“It was genius actually; I have to hand it to her.  When they asked what Aiden was up to she told us that he was at home with his cousin helping to dye Victoria’s hair, then mentioned they left you guys making a mess of the bathroom.  For a moment I didn’t get the reference but then when I met her gaze the penny dropped, just in time too,” Kitae explained and the other two had never been so thankful for their friend in their lives.  Both of them agreed to thank Luna heartily once the coast was clear and they could leave the safety of the bathroom.

 

“Thanks for helping to save us Kitae,” Amber muttered and the girl rolled her eyes good naturedly, before stepping forward and placing a hand on the tomboy’s shoulder.

 

“You’re welcome Amber.  By the way, we’re having a party for Joongmin’s birthday and you, Sulli and Krystal are invited.  Tell your friend if she wants to snag him she should give him anything Calvin Klein as a present,” Kitae said, smiling nicely before moving to offer a bow to Victoria.  “It was nice to meet you properly.  I’ll go back out now and try to hurry the boys on.  I’m sure Luna will let you know when it’s safe.”

 

Amber and Victoria watched from around the corner as Kitae disappeared with a wave.  The American stood staring into space after the door swung shut, until Victoria pulled her back into reality with a jab to the shoulder.

 

“Oh Amber, that was too close.  You can’t keep this up.  Come clean, or just disappear for a while if you can’t do that.  Seeing her now I don’t think Kitae will let you go for good, maybe her or the girls can reintroduce you as Amber,” Victoria suggested seriously and Amber let out a sigh, biting her lip as she shook her head.

 

“Not yet, after the party.  If everything goes to plan at least Sulli and Joongmin will be together and then I can,” she said, ignoring her friend as the Chinese girl shook her head in exasperation.  She knew Victoria was right, she was starting to drown in the world of Aiden, but there was something about the new found company that she simply couldn’t live without.