Chapter 3

Sooman Academy

 

Baekhyun hurried into the refectory, feeling bad for bumping into that freshman. He might have been imagining it, but the kid’s face looked familiar though from where Baekhyun knew him he wasn’t sure. He shook his head and walked into line.

Normally, Baekhyun was never late for dinner. It was the only time that he and his little sister had the opportunity to eat together because everyone had dinner at the same time while each grade was on a different schedule for lunch. Ever since she had started at Sooman last year, Baekhyun had given Miyoung support and advice to help her adjust to the school. Now a sophomore, she did not need him as much, but he still insisted they have dinner together so that he could keep an eye on her. After all, she was still his younger sibling, and he felt a responsibility to see how she was doing for himself and their parents.

As he walked toward their usual spot at the table in the corner, Baekhyun noticed someone extra sitting next to his sister. He could not make out who it was, but it was without a doubt a guy, something that worried him. Miyoung was generally open with him, but they had never spoken about dating. He wasn’t sure how to broach the topic either so he had let it be, thinking the issue would not come up, but now he wasn’t so sure.

“Oppa!” Miyoung greeted as he placed his plate of food on the table. “How are you?”

“I’m fine. Who’s this?” he asked, looking at the stranger. As soon as their eyes connected though, he recognized him immediately. “Oh, Park Chanyeol. I did not recognize you from behind. How are you?”

Chanyeol grinned widely. “Good. I was looking for you, and your sister told me that you were probably running late for dinner. I didn’t believe her, but I guess she was right, though I must say that I am surprised to see the perfect Byun Baekhyun not punctual for once,” he said, standing up from the table to his full height. He was so tall that Baekhyun almost felt uncomfortable, and that was rare since his average stature did not bother him at all.

“Yeah, where were you?” Miyoung asked.

“I had to give Professor Lim the final confirmation for this weekend’s visiting speaker,” he explained.

“Ah, we have a special event this weekend?”

Baekhyun shook his head. “I just scheduled Kim Joosong, the director at Sejong Center for the Performing Arts, to come to visit the arts department.”

“Perfect. Then you can come to my party this weekend,” Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun’s eyebrows shot up. Chanyeol never invited him to his parties because it really was not his scene, the drinking and the dancing and the and the sneaking around involved, but mostly the rule breaking. It just was not him.

“I want to throw the biggest party Sooman has seen,” Chanyeol explained, “and it’s not going to be on campus so you can get an off-campus pass. You won’t have to worry about breaking some rules or anything. You can keep your perfect record pristine.” He gave him that lopsided grin that somehow made all girls weak in the knees.

Baekhyun glanced at Miyoung. The expression on her face was telling, but he was not sure if he wanted to subject her to a night of partying, especially not Chanyeol style. But he felt bad saying no, and it would be nice to do something fun for once. He always kept himself busy so he could use the break. “I’m not sure, but I’ll let you know.”

Chanyeol shrugged, hands in his pocket. “It wouldn’t be complete without you.” He turned and walked away.

“Can we please go?” Miyoung begged when he was out of earshot. “I’ve been wanting to go to one of Chanyeol’s parties forever. My friends are always telling me that they’re so much fun.”

Baekhyun sighed. He couldn’t say no to Miyoung. “I’ll get us some off-campus passes for that weekend,” he said, resigned.

“Yay! Thank you, oppa! You’re the best,” she said with a grin.

He laughed. Miyoung had so much aegyo that he often couldn’t help it. “How were your classes today?” he asked, finally starting to eat. A glance at his heirloom watch indicated that he had only twenty minutes to eat.

“Oh, they were fine, but who cares? I’m just excited that I finally get to go to a Park Chanyeol party,” she said with a happy sigh.

Baekhyun laughed again. “I didn’t know that you wanted to go to one of his parties so badly,” he said. “You could have mentioned it before, and I’m sure I could have gotten you an invitation since we’re in the same class.” He paused suddenly. “Wait, you don’t like him, do you?”

Miyoung giggled. “Oppa, no. Are you worried about me dating? You don’t have to worry. I promise.” She had a gleam in her eye that did nothing to acquiesce Baekhyun’s subconscious thoughts. “I mean, sure, I think he’s cute, but I’m not dumb enough to fall for that jerk.”

“I wouldn’t say he’s a jerk,” Baekhyun insisted, ever the nice guy. “He just is experimenting with what he wants before he gets serious with dating even if he does have a reputation as a serial dater.” That was putting it lightly. Park Chanyeol changed girls on a weekly basis, sometimes even daily.

“I know. I know. Oppa, don’t worry. I don’t like Park Chanyeol. He and I will never date.”

“Speaking of dating, Miyoung, we’ve never talked about it. What have Mother and Father said to you?” he asked tentatively.

Miyoung groaned. “Do we have to talk about this?” she asked, rolling her eyes.

Baekhyun grinned and held up his hands in defeat. “Okay, okay, we don’t. I trust you. I just want to let you know that you can talk to me if you need to talk to someone about anything related to dating.” He smiled brightly as he finished off the last of his food. Miyoung may have been easily distracted, but she was smart. “Which study hall do you have today?”

Miyoung sighed. “English.”

“Good. You need practice,” he told her in English.

“Huh?”

He repeated the phrase in Korean with a chuckle.

Miyoung glared and stuck her tongue out at him. “Not everyone is as smart as you, you know.”

Baekhyun laughed. “I just study and apply myself,” he said. “I’m nothing special. So all you have to do is the same thing to make good grades and actually learn in your classes instead of just sitting around and talking with your friends about idols.”

She giggled. “But it’s just so much fun.”

He nodded and glanced at Chanyeol who sat on the direct opposite side of the room. He was with his little group, an arm around some girl’s waist as he whispered in her ear. Baekhyun didn’t mind going to his party, mostly for Miyoung’s sake, but he had a nagging suspicion that it might not be the best idea either.