Hyunsik

The Violin/바이올린

Sungjae was leaving the rehearsal with Ilhoon when he stopped and saw someone familiar, sitting all alone on stage. He looked very sad and miserable, with no one to accompany him.

Sungjae could not help but feel a little sorry for him, so he started to walk towards him. He was sitting there, unlike the other instrument players who were in the audience seats packing their instrument cases. Instead he was sitting there, all alone packing his violin into his suitcase. But what struck him most was that his violin and bow looked exactly the same, with the same coloured threads on the strings, the same violin body colour and texture, and the same treble clef pattern on the frog of the bow.

He went a little closer, and suddenly he recognised the face.

It was Minwoo, a former Cube trainee, who was originally supposed to be a member of BtoB, and be a fellow rapper alongside Peniel and Ilhoon, but was removed from the group due to health issues.

Sungjae and Minwoo were the same age, therefore had good relationship during their trainee days. They used to talk to each other frequently and hang out a lot, a lot more than with Ilhoon, but because of his poor health, he was unable to debut.

This drove Minwoo crazy to the point where although he was given an offer for a place by another agency, he refused it and still wanted to be with Sungjae as friends and be together, therefore he hung himself in his dormitory, which he shared with Sungjae and Ilhoon.

But was announcement of his demise a mistake? Was he still alive after all?

 

Sungjae crept some more towards him.

"Minwoo?" Sungjae tried to tap his shoulder, but Minwoo's figure was completely made of air. He only scowled at Sungjae. Getting up, he picked up his violin case and went straight through Sungjae, before he vanished into the air.

Sungjae stared and turned back, but Minwoo disappeared.

"Hey," Ilhoon called, "Is there something wrong?"

"What?" Sungjae said, "Oh no, nothing, nothing,"

"Then what were you doing here?"

"Oh, just making sure that I had everything with me."

"Oh okay then, let's go."

 

They were going home and finally arrived, when they realised Hyunsik was not there, helping set the table.

"Where's Hyunsik?" Ilhoon asked.

"Oh, he's gone to the store, to buy spinach. We're making bibimbap and we've run out of spinach." Eunkwang said. "We've been waiting for around fifteen minutes, but the rice is nearly cooked. We just need to boil the vegetables and cut them."

 

The four waited for Hyunsik for a very long time, but still he did not come back. Time passed, but nothing happened.

"What is taking Hyunsik so long?" Sungjae asked.

"I don't know, let me give him a call." Minhyuk suggested.

He called and waited, but there was no answer.

"He's not answering." said Minhyuk, "You don't suppose....."

That was when they heard a horrified scream in the house.

 

"Isn't that Hyunsik's voice?" asked Ilhoon.

"Yeah it is." said Eunkwang.

"But how could he come back when we didn't see him go through the front door?" Sungjae wondered. "That's strange."

"Let's go up," said Minhyuk, "He might be in trouble!"

 

The four rushed upstairs, and followed the sound. They then noticed something, oddly looking like blonde hair that made a path. As Sungjae squatted to examine it further, he noticed that they were not strands of human blonde hair, but horse tail hair.

They followed the trail until they finally came to the storage area.

The door was to their surprise, open.

As they opened the door, they noticed another horrible sight, and as expected, Hyunsik's demise. Hyunsik was hung from the ceiling with horse tail hair by the neck, his body dangling like a marionette.

It was exactly the same horse hair that was used to make Sungjae's bow.

 

After Hyunsik's funeral, which the Melodies attended to and mourned, Eunkwang gathered the three boys around.

"I'm afraid we may have no choice," said Eunkwang, "We lost three members already, and this is becoming too much. What another of us is gone? We need seven people, so we would have no choice but to hunt for trainees."