White Day

That's My Girl!

 

White day - the day when the boys who received chocolates from girls give a gift in return.

 

The school was filled with an excited yet nervous energy. Girls were discreetly checking their crushes out, wishing they would come and give gifts in return. Usually, this would mean that the boy liked the girl back. Of course, there were boys who were creeping on their crushes as well.

Zelo, though, was at a huge loss of what would happen today. He had already given a return gift on Valentine’s itself. Now, he didn’t really have a clue as to whether he should still give her a gift or not.

Eunji had made her message clear: “It was a friendly gift. Don’t get too full of yourself.”

“Morning~” Zelo sang as he slumped down his seat.

Namjoo didn’t bother looking up as she continued working on her Math homework, “I hope you’re not up to something.”

Zelo frowned, “I’m not.”

“Last time you said that, you did something, anyway.”

Zelo looked at her sternly, “Look, I’m not even prepared. I have nothing on me,” he ruffled his hair in frustration, “I mean, c’mon, I already gave her a bear on Valentine’s. Do I still have to give her something today?”

“She threw it away,” she mumbled.

“What?”

“The bear. She threw it away.”

She could feel Zelo’s gaze bore through her. It made her uncomfortable and after much struggling for concentration, she let down her pen and looked up. She bit her lip. She hadn’t intended to let him know about that. She knew he would get hurt. Of course, who wouldn’t? But, an ugly feeling was gnawing her insides. She couldn’t resist irritating him.

“Then, I should really get her something for today, don’t I?”

Namjoo shot him a glare before returning to her homework. Her grip tightened and her writing was heavy that the pen practically bore through her notebook.

“Yah, are you okay? Is it your time of the month?”

Namjoo shot him another glare before closing her notebook with a loud snap and stalking out of the room.

She didn’t return till the bell rang and she seemed more upset than when she went out.

Halfway through the first class, Zelo tossed her a swan origami. Namjoo cocked an eyebrow. She tossed it back, looking grumpier. Zelo tossed it back. She crumpled it and threw it under her desk. Zelo threw another piece of paper. This time, it was crumpled. Again, she threw it under her desk.

Zelo stealthily reached out and pinch her side.

“YAH!”

The whole class turned.

“Yes, Kim Namjoo-ssi?”

The girl blushed and was writhing. What the hell was with Zelo?

“Nothing, seonsaengnim. I just was bitten by an ant.”

The professor knit his eyebrows, “Keep your tone down next time, ara?”

“Ne, joesonghamnida, seonsaengnim.”

Zelo didn’t bother her after that and she was grateful. When the bell rang for lunch, she immediately packed her things and headed out of the room.

 

----

 

As usual, students were hustling and bustling around the cafeteria. It seemed like a normal day saved from the obvious handing of gifts from time to time.

Eunji was picking her food, as usual.

“Yah. Continue with that diet of yours and you’ll lose shape in no time, Ms. Vice Captain,” Bomi chided her while slurping her ramen.

“I’m not hungry.”

“Wae yo, unni?” Naeun asked.

“She’s waiting~” Minah arrived with her tray along with Namjoo, Yookyung and Hayoung.

“Waiting?”

Minah squeezed herself between Bomi and Eunji, much to the former’s chagrin, “It’s White Day. Of course, she’s waiting for return gifts.”

Eunji shot her a glare, “Yah! I’m not!”

Hayoung was flustered, “Sorry, unni! But, we already kind of exchanged chocolates on Valentine’s, right? Mian! I don’t have anything on me...”

Eunji held up her hands to assure her dongsaeng, “It’s fine! I’m not expecting anything.”

“She’s expecting something from someone~”

Eunji stomped on Minah’s foot, “Am not!”

“Ouch! Yah!” Minah scowled at her, “Wae irae? I was just stating the truth!”

“I’m not waiting for anything.”

“Chinja?” she asked but a look of mocking disbelief was plastered all over her face.

“Chinja ra! So, quit it.”

“Who’s unni waiting for?”

Naeun’s question made Namjoo choke on her drink. Hayoung rubbed her back.

Yookyung raised her brow, “Sandeul-oppa?”

Bomi shook her head, “Ani ya. We have barely entered the gates when Sandeullie blocked us to give his gift,” she nodded towards Eunji.

“Then, who?”

“I told you, guys. No one.”

 

----

 

With Sandeul hovering about her all day, Eunji knew it was impossible Zelo would be able to come near her. True that Sandeul’s clinginess was becoming more suffocating everyday but she was thankful, anyway. Just for today, at least. She excused herself at dismissal and hurried to the orphanage.

When she entered the gates, she expected that she’d receive the warm welcome she’s used to only to find that someone else already had the children’s attention.

“Eunji-ah.”

She turned to find a beaming purple haired girl, “Hyosung-unni.”

“The kids love him.”

“I can see.”

“He comes here everyday.”

Eunji’s eyes widened.

Hyosung giggled, “Jieun-ssi tried offering him a pay for the hard work but he always refuses it.”

“Did he now?”

She nodded and ran to catch a falling toddler, “Kyungsan-aaaaah!”

Eunji approached a few other children and played with them. Everyone was specially hyped today. In a single hour, three children were taken to her because of cuts and grazes.

She didn’t mean to stare but she couldn’t help but observe how good Zelo was with children. True that Sandeul was good with them as well but Zelo has a certain playfulness that the kids seem to like.

Her thoughts were interrupted when someone glomped her, “Heeeey~!”

Eunji turned to find a slightly older woman, “Inna-unni!”

Inna released her. Eunji noticed that she’s still wearing a teacher’s attire.

“How are you?” she asked as she pulled Eunji to a bench.

“Good.”

“That’s him, right?”

Eunji’s cheeks caught a slight tinge of pink, “Unni!”

Inna shrugged, “It’s okay to deny it. I’ve already investigated it, anyway.”

“Investigated?”

“Yeah,” she began enumerating while watching Zelo play with the children, “Choi Junhong from Sungdae Middle School. Born on October 15, 1996.”

1996? How old is he then?

“Fifteen years old.”

Eunji almost choked on her own saliva. Fifteen?

“Blood type A. 184 cm. 63 kg. He skipped two levels because of high IQ. Loves basketball, rapping, skateboarding and dancing. Star rookie of the school’s baseball team. I can tell you his address if you want,” Inna turned to her smugly.

“No, thanks. And, you shouldn’t abuse your teacher status to stalk on your students. Wait, till Jieun-imo learns of what her daughter’s doing in school.”

She clapped her hands, ignoring her dongsaeng’s chiding, “Waaaa~ A fifteen year old who’s second year high school. He’s quite something, isn’t he?”

“He is,” she replied with a sigh. It was barely audible that Inna had to lean in to catch it.

Jieun appeared from the doorway, “Inna-yah, will you come here for a sec? I have something to discuss with you.”

“Ne, umma,” she turned to Eunji, “Chakkaman ya, Eunji-ah.”

“Ne.”

Eunji stood to play with the children again when Rahee and another fair skinned child approached her.

“Unni!”

Eunji squatted to meet their eye level, “Ne? What is it, Rahee-ah, Lauren-ah?”

Lauren handed her a white lace.

Eunji stared, “A white... ribbon...?”

The girls nodded, “Uhn!”

She held it on her palms, “What’s this for?”

“White day!” they chimed.

Eunji beamed, “Aigoo!” she pinched the children’s cheeks, “Komawo yo, Rahee-ah, Lauren-ah!”

“It’s from Jelo-oppa!”

Eunji blinked, “From who?”

“Jelo-oppa.”

The girls ran to join the others who now playing tag.

Eunji reluctantly pocketed the lace and headed inside to cook dinner.

 

----

 

Like last week, Zelo walked Eunji home. The silence was even more awkward than the last. The lace was burning through Eunji’s pocket. She half wanted to give it back and half wanted to keep it.

“One month.”

Zelo creased his brows, “Eh?”

“I’ll give you one month to convince me.”

“Convince you to what?”

Eunji stopped on her tracks, debating whether to say it or not, “Say yes.”

Zelo stopped as well, “You mean... we’ll date for a month? Something like that? Like in the dramas?”

Eunji nodded, “But, only one month. After that, no more chances. If I say no, you’d be out of my life for good. This time, I demand you to keep your promise.”

Zelo’s heart fell. Does he have the confidence to strike this deal?

“And, no funny ideas. No public announcements and such. They’re so embarrassing.”

 

====

A/N: I’m really stressed with school right now so I’m sorry if I’m kinda slow with everything. Mian. T____T

@zoningout: Ohohoho. I KNOW. There will be more of them laturrr. And, yeseu. I think Minah’s got some spunk so I decided to try my best to utilize it. XD

@Jenicakrung: Sorry, it was late. Mian. ;A;

@CherryTotomatoZELO96: I won’t kill youuuu~ I love youuuu~ But, school’s killing meeeee~