Bridges

Across Lifetimes

Six years. Six years and there’s still no sign of that person.

Not since that day, at least.

For so many lifetimes, Park Choongjae had chased that person.

Every lifetime ended in heartbreak. He chased and longed, longed to finally tell that person, the one he loves the most, of his true feelings. And yet, he never had the opportunity to do so.

He had failed every single lifetime. Just when Choongjae got close to telling that person, he would die. And there were some lifetimes where he did, indeed, manage to convey his feelings; yet that person never got the chance to acknowledge their own feelings and say whether they loved Park Choongjae back or not; and therefore, when they met again in the next lifetime, that person would never remember.

It was unfulfilling, tiring, frustrating, chasing after the same person over and over again, and ending in failure, over and over again.

And yet, despite all the heartbreaks, the failures, Park Choongjae has never given up.

Despite countless lifetimes always ending the same way, he refused to stop loving that person. He had tried giving up many times; and yet, his heart would not allow him to. Every time he had tried to cast aside his feelings, he would feel as though a large void had been formed in his heart, and the only way to fill it would be to start looking for that person once more. It was an endless, vicious cycle that would end with heartbreak whichever path he chose to tread. And yet, his determination to finally gain his happiness and to satiate his heart was what had kept him going throughout all of the lives he had lived.

That person was the one fate had chosen for him. Fate is the one who had dictated who his heart will always belong to, no matter how many lifetimes pass. And yet, it is fate itself that prevents them from finally being together.

Fate plays a cruel irony, and there’s nothing he could do but continue being a toy in its grasp.

And here he is again, 19 years old once more, in yet another lifetime. Though born in a family that barely passed the poverty line, Choongjae is happy. His parents aren’t strict and demanding like they had been in his previous one, and the era is peaceful. He had once lived through the Korean War and that was not a good experience. Not to mention, he died in the battlefield shortly after meeting that person, before revealing who he truly is.

He was cleaning tables at his part-time job at a restaurant, when suddenly, one of his good friends all but threw open the door and came rushing in, stopping just at the nick of time right in front of Choongjae. He was so surprised that he almost dropped the dishes that he had been balancing on the tray, but luckily he caught them.

“Minwoo-hyung, slow down! You almost made me drop the plates! What happened?”

“Ch-Choong… Choongjae-ya…” Minwoo panted heavily as he tried to speak and catch his breath at the same time. “Audition… at the company… you have to come!”

Choongjae glanced at the restaurant wall clock, a frown clearly present on his face as he saw the time. “What time will they end? My shift doesn’t end until 4 today, unfortunately.”

“Auditions end at 3.” Minwoo slumped into a chair, frowning as well. “You think you can make it? Get out of here early? This is the only audition they’re going to be holding this year, which means the next time you can apply will be next year. That will be another year wasted, and you’re not getting any younger. You need to be in this audition, or you’ll never get your chance to debut as a dancer! Think about the training time, it will be years before you can debut, and people want young idols. They’re obviously not going to pick you if you get any older.”

“I know, hyung…” Choongjae replied with a sigh as he straightened the tray he was carrying. “But there’s no way I can get out of my shift early. The boss will fire me if I try to ask again.”

“Can’t you just quit this dead-end job? He treats you like anyway.” Minwoo scoffed. Choongjae shook his head remorsefully.

“You know I can’t, hyung. What if I fail the auditions? I’ll have no way to support my family.”

“Then… How about getting someone else to cover for you?” Minwoo suggested helpfully. Choongjae shook his head once more as he gave him a sad smile.

“Go back to practice, they might be looking for you. I’ll catch up somehow, I promise.” Choongjae called out before disappearing into the kitchen. Minwoo sighed and walked back to the agency building, but he wasn't about to let Choongjae fail again.

Unbeknownst to him, though, Minwoo was planning to pull a few strings. He really cared about Choongjae and wanted him to achieve his dream this time around; he wasn’t about to let his shift times and his cruel boss get in the way once again.


Finally, the shift had ended. Choongjae glanced at the clock, a heavy feeling settling itself in his chest as he sighed and slumped into one of the chairs. Though he was free to go, he didn’t really feel like going anywhere. He had missed another year, another opportunity, again.

He knew that he could have gone to the audition, and yet he could not afford to leave his job. Since he couldn’t even afford to go to college in hopes that he’ll get a more decent job someday, he can’t be fired at this job because he would have nowhere else to go. His life is full of vicious cycles- and not just with this situation, but with that person as well.

The shrill sound and constant vibrating of his phone snapped him back to reality. He fished the phone out of his pocket, and immediately read the message, which was from Minwoo.

And afterwards, he was off like a rocket, running as fast as his legs could carry him, to the agency building Minwoo trained in.

He ran and ran about the hallways, ignoring the tugging, painful feeling in his chest. He couldn’t care less if he dropped dead of a heart attack there and then; at least he tried to make it to the meeting as fast as he could. The thought of having even the slightest bit of chance is enough to keep him going, despite the painful, heavy feeling getting even more intense with each step he took forward. Which puzzled Choongjae, since he was quite a fit person and he didn't get tired easily; but he chalked it up to nervousness, and the adrenaline rushing through his veins.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity of running, he found a hallway that he actually recognized. He remembered it as the hallway that he walked in when he visited Minwoo once. And as Minwoo had told him, the audition room should be around the corner.

Perhaps it was his heart reaching its limit; maybe it was his legs signaling they were being overused, but when he was almost to the corner he could have sworn that his chest had become even more constricted and uncomfortable. He endured it though, and kept running; there was two minutes left, he had to make it.

And without warning, a figure of a boy he thought he recognized materialized in front of him. He shifted to the side and zipped past him, making sure that he didn't collide with him, but at the corner of his eye he saw the other almost fall backwards. He could have sworn he avoided him, though.

Seeing the boy almost fall backwards made his heart skip a beat, and again he didn’t understand why.

He wanted to apologize properly, but he didn’t have the time. All he could yell was a hurried “Sorry!”, as he pushed the thought to the back of his mind.

And just like that, as he turned the corner, the throbbing, tight feeling in his chest lightened a bit before completely disappearing, and his heart slowed down to its normal, running pace.

Choongjae was puzzled, but this was no time to wonder about this. There was one minute left. He all but threw the door open, and to his surprise, a stern looking man (who he assumed to be the director) was about to stand up from his place behind the table and leave.

Choongjae took a few seconds to catch his breath, and after he had done so he quickly introduced himself. “I-I apologize to have kept you waiting. I rushed here as fast I could.”

The director’s expression softened. “I can see that. Take a few minutes to calm yourself, and then start dancing for me. I stayed here because a close acquaintance of mine told me about you, and he has never been wrong about any of the talents that he suggested. So that’s why I’m giving you a chance.”

“I understand.” Choongjae gave a quick bow, and after resting for a few seconds, he started dancing to the music the director had predetermined.

Choongjae closed his eyes as he let the music take over, performing flawless stunts and dance moves to the exact beat of the music. He felt the notes flow through his body and control his movements, as he performed each step with accuracy. The director couldn't help but be mesmerized at his skill and fluidity; he hadn't been impressed by anyone to this degree in a long time. He felt the passion emanating from Choongjae, and he knew at that moment that he was born to be a dancer. The song ended, and Choongjae finally opened his eyes as he slowly came out of his trance.

There he found the director staring at him, mouth agape, as he took a few more seconds to finally collect himself. He stood up and made his way to Choongjae, patting him on the shoulder as he gave him a smile.

“Eric has done it again! Welcome to the agency, Park Choongjae. I believe you will be very valuable to us.”

“E-eh?!” Choongjae couldn’t believe his ears, as he bowed to the man in rapid succession. “Thank you very much! I promise that I won’t disappoint you!”

Minwoo was waiting for Choongjae outside the agency building, where Choongjae quickly related the events that just transpired excitedly.

“Ha, I knew you were going to get in. You just needed the push.”

“I can't believe you would do this for me... Thank you, hyung."

Minwoo patted Choongjae on the shoulder. "Don't mention it. Sorry it was only ten minutes though. I thought you weren't going to make it; thankfully you did."

"...But hyung, the man mentioned ‘Eric’… He doesn’t mean our Eric-hyung, right?”

Minwoo smiled cheekily. “But of course he means our Eric. Who else would it be? He’s not just a bodyguard, you know.” His expression then turned serious. “I’m sorry, Choongjae-ya. I should have asked Eric to help you sooner.”

“No, hyung, this was more than enough. Thank you.” Choongjae drowned the older man in a hug. “Though I didn’t know Eric-hyung had that kind of power. He never told me.”

“Huh. Thought you would have known. Anyway, let’s call him and celebrate tonight! This is a breakthrough for you!”

Breakthrough, indeed. As Choongjae looked back towards the looming tower of the agency, he could only hope that good things will happen from now on.

And that he’d finally find that person.

 


A/N: And chapter 2 is out! :D I got inspired after watching You Who Came from the Stars (starring Kim Soohyun and Gianna Jun, otherwise known as Jeon Ji Hyun, otherwise known as Cha Tae Hyun's partner in My Sassy Girl :p), and I just had to write this. I know I should be focusing on the other fic that I've been talking about, but I couldn't help it. xD You can't stop inspiration once it attacks.

Anyways, I don't know if the next update will be as quick as this one. But at least now I know where I'm going. :p

Hope you guys enjoy!