Friends

Death Agents

The death agent’s squeezing Jiro’s life out of him. As he’s enjoying it, he makes sure that his shocked expression can fool everybody.

 

Jiro is having difficulty breathing. It’s like he can hear the clock ticking. With every tick his windpipe is choked a bit more. It’s a slow death he’s going through. With a thud Jiro collapses onto the ground, desperately gasping for air.

 

People hover around him. In Jiro’s dimming vision, there’s one outfit which stands out among them.

 

White…

 

The death agent’s at the scene, pulling off a spectacular performance.

 

……

 

It’s almost done. Slowly the death agent reaches into his pocket, getting his notebook ready.

 

At this critical moment, someone shoves the death agent aside, breaking his concentration and at the same time creating a distance between Jiro and him.

 

Power of death agents is not unlimited. They can cast spells, but only to people within certain proximity.

 

The sudden release of grip on his windpipe allows Jiro to inhale again. His mouth resembling that of a suffocating fish, Jiro clings to this priceless flow of air. Until now, he didn’t know air is not to be taken for granted. Repeatedly, as deeply as he can, Jiro breathes. His face, which has previously turned purple, gleams traces of life, as the long overdue, life-essential air fills his body.

 

The spotlight was on Jiro until a few seconds ago. Nobody, but that person himself, knows who pushed the death agent. And unfortunate for him, even the death agent is left in bewilderment.

 

……

 

Hyukjae is the first to come to his senses. Quickly he rushes towards Jiro, instructing everybody to back off. “Step back! Don’t hover around him. He needs air.”

 

And then Hyukjae rolls Jiro’s body so that Jiro’s lying on one side. “Do you hear me? You feeling better Jiro?” The school bully’s like a lamb now, who nods… with eyes still flashing with fears injected upon him during that close encounter with death.

 

……

 

From afar, sound of sirens ripples into the alley. Someone has called the ambulance.

 

They all move aside as the medical technicians do their job. What just happened is so surreal everybody’s at a loss. The only sound in the alley comes from the paramedics, when the stretcher is set up, when the life support unit is set to work, when they transfer Jiro onto the stretcher and then into the ambulance, when the ambulance doors are closed and when the ambulance is driven away.

 

Silence descends upon the place. The feeling’s like they are in a cinema watching a movie; and now the movie is over. Slowly people realize they are back in reality and it’s time to leave. One by one, without a word, the gangster members make their way out of the alley. In the end only the four good friends are left.

 

……

 

“It’s definitely a death agent…” All of a sudden Sungmin mutters.

 

“Huh?” Kyuhyun turns to stare at Sungmin, wearing a what-the-heck-are-you-talking-about expression.

 

Sungmin’s eyes sweep across his friends. “Yes I read about it. There’s a case terribly similar to what just happened to Jiro. Out of the blue, why would Jiro be suffocating? There’s no sensible reason other than that it’s a death agent’s doing. There’s a death agent here.”

 

There’s a death agent here…

 

There’s a death agent here…

 

There’s a death agent here…

 

……

 

It’s eerily creepy hearing this phrase reverberate back and forth in this dark alley. Fidgeting, the four of them exchange glances with one another.

 

No worries. The death agent’s maintaining a he-knows-nothing demeanor.

 

“You read too much.” After some seconds Hyukjae says. Seeing discontent flicker in Sungmin’s eyes, and knowing that he’s about to protest, Hyukjae quickly adds. “Sorry Sungmin. I’m very tired. Let’s go.”

 

Bidding goodbye to his friends, Hyukjae begins his steps. Donghae follows.

 

So two by two, the four of them split paths and head home.

 

……

 

“Kyuhyun you do believe there are death agents right? You once told us about them.” Sungmin, pouting a little, still cannot quite tick it off that Hyukjae didn’t buy him.

 

“Come on Sungmin. Don’t mind Hyukjae…” Kyuhyun tries to comfort his friend, but going the totally wrong direction.

 

“I’m asking you Kyuhyun. You do believe right?” Sungmin’s being persistent.

 

Kyuhyun fixes his eyes on the cobblestones along the path, pondering. Moments later he replies. “Yes I do believe.”

 

Street lamps illuminate their road ahead, casting long long shadows behind. The two of them continue in silence, their footsteps echoing each other.

 

They reach a crossing and the wind greets them. Dancing leaves swirl around and fall onto them. Sungmin embraces himself further, pulling his jacket tighter around him.

 

When this is over Sungmin’s occupied with brushing withered leaves off himself.

 

“You said you read something?”

 

Perceiving this as Kyuhyun’s sharing his interest, Sungmin brightens up. “Yes! It’s from a diary of a death agent. Too bad I left the book in school. Otherwise I can show you…”

 

……

 

On the other hand, Donghae’s walking Hyukjae home. This is his routine since recently.

 

“How’s your dance class tonight Hyukkie?” Donghae inquires, smiling.

 

“It’s OK…” Hyukjae glances at his friend. “Donghae…”

 

Seeing his friend’s troubled expression, Donghae’s smile is taken over by concern. “What is it Hyukkie?”

 

“Are you not bothered by what just happened? It’s shocking…” Hyukjae looks down at the ground as he recalls the scene in the alley.

 

“… Yes it’s shocking…” Yet to be honest, Donghae’s focus has been on Hyukjae. The best thing to him now is that Hyukjae wouldn’t be harmed.

 

“By the way Donghae…” Suddenly Hyukjae stops, causing Donghae to halt as well.

 

Hyukjae turns around, facing Donghae. “Why were you there Donghae? What brought you to the alley?”

 

Silence.

 

……

 

What happens next startles Hyukjae. Without giving him any time to prepare, Donghae spreads his arms and embraces Hyukjae, who can only stand still. “D… Donghae…?”

 

“Hyukkie…” Emotions inside Donghae are spilling out. Tightening his hug, trembling Donghae whispers beside Hyukjae’s ear. “You d… don’t k…know…” His voice is shaking as well. “Just… h… how much… I… I… w… worry about… you…”

 

Though confused at what brought Donghae to such a state, Hyukjae raises his arms to hug Donghae back. “You followed Jiro?”

 

Donghae nods.

 

“Um… I… followed you.” Hyukjae confesses. Earlier when Hyukjae came out of the dance class, he happened to see Donghae turn a corner a bit too quickly. Just a bit. But since they know each other too well, that’s enough to make Hyukjae curious.

 

“I know…” Donghae nods again.

 

……

 

It’s been a long night. It’s finally over… for now.

 

Inside his home, the death agent’s sitting in his couch, not in a relaxed way but in an alert mode. He leans forward, placing his two elbows on his knees, supporting his head with both his hands, pondering hard.

 

Just what exactly happened earlier tonight?

 

It’s frustrating he couldn’t cross out Jiro’s name. He failed to accomplish his task tonight. This has never happened before.

 

Never.

 

It definitely doesn’t feel good.

 

He closes his eyes. Frown between his brows deepens into a knot. His fists are clenched. He’s straining hard to recall… Who pushed me…?

 

……

 

As the clock hits twelve his eyes snap open. At first he’s staring intently forward like an eagle. And then he narrows his eyes.

 

The one standing closest to me… after the shove…

 

He’s been following me…

 

Does he know… what I am…?

 

And why would he want to save Jiro?

 

How much does he know… about us…?

 

The death agent takes a deep breath.

 

Sorry… have to take care of you…

 

… although you’re my friend…

 

 

--------------------------

A/N: How are you all my friends? I'm sorry for the late update! And happy new year!

A/N2: In 2014 I will try to allocate more time to write. Yet please allow me to finish my other two fics and first. After that I'll return to this one. I will return!!!! Don't give up on this fic pls!!!!