The Names

Death Agents

 

Owner of the calm tone, sitting at the front of the classroom, is very much at ease. While everybody is still too stunned to speak, he turns at his seat, eyes sweeping across the classroom. Satisfied that he’s now the center of attention, he continues. “Bob is dead.”

 

……

 

“How do you know Kyuhyun? This is not funny.” Miss Choi inquires upon finding her voice again.

 

Kyuhyun turns to face the teacher. “We play StarCraft together. He didn’t show up for days so I went to where he lived to check. His mother told me.”

 

Miss Choi frowns, lips tightened. Moments later she continues the roll call.

 

“Ma Kakyun.”

 

“Here.”

 

……

 

“Park Ahjin.”

 

“Here.”

 

“Park Mia.”

 

……

 

“Park Mia?” Abruptly the teacher looks up again. Her eyes immediately locate another empty desk in the classroom. Gasps and whispers rise up. Everybody turns to look at Kyuhyun.

 

His voice’s not that calm this time. “I don’t know. Really. Why would I know?” In order to stress that, Kyuhyun raises both his hands and shrugs.

 

Not sure about the others. But to Miss Choi, that’s the most difficult roll call so far.

 

……

 

The bell rings and Miss Choi leaves the classroom. Before the next teacher arrives Kyuhyun turns to stare, in a weird way, at Hyukjae who’s sitting behind him.

 

“What?” Hyukjae asks.

 

Kyuhyun narrows his eyes. “It’s you right?”

 

“… It’s me what?” Hyukjae’s not aware his voice’s got louder. Stare of Kyuhyun makes him feel really creepy.

 

“Mia. You did something to her.” Kyuhyun lowers his voice. But he keeps staring.

 

Hyukjae’s heart starts pounding. For some time he’s speechless. How… How on earth…

 

How can his friend think of him like this? Hyukjae grips the edge of his desk. “No! How could you… This is not funny Kyuhyun!”

 

Kyuhyun doesn’t flinch. He presses on and leans in closer, not wavering his stare.

 

……

 

The tension’s mounting up.

 

All of a sudden Kyuhyun’s expression softens. His face cracks a smirk. “Just kidding Hyukjae. I didn’t mean…” He’s cut off when the teacher enters the classroom.

 

Behind them, Donghae’s silently watching. When Kyuhyun turns to face the front again, their eyes meet. And they exchange a smile.

 

……

 

Recess.

 

Somewhere, the death agent takes out his notebook, getting ready for his next task.

 

No. This I can tell you. The name after Bob Ma, is not Mia Park.

 

The death agent doesn’t know. He’s not the only one who’s reading the names. And upon seeing that name down the list, shock, anxious, nervous and relieved all at the same time, the other one has to grip the fence to steady himself.

 

……

 

The bell rings, concluding the first school day.

 

In a corner of the campus, Sungmin’s sitting on a bench, reading.

 

“Want an ice-cream?” A voice behind Sungmin asks.

 

Before Sungmin can turn to look, an ice cream pops up in front of his eyes. Gladly he takes the ice cream and begins tearing off the packaging, setting the book he’s originally reading beside him.

 

Donghae walks over to sit next to Sungmin. Curious about the book he picks it up. The title reads Death Agents.

 

Raising his eyebrows Donghae asks. “Death Agents? Where did you find this?”

 

“You know the vintage bookstore at the very end of the alley nearby?” Sungmin answers, eyes fixed on the ice cream.

 

“That creepy one called ‘Everything Ends Here’?” Donghae starts flipping through the book.

 

“Right. That one. The book’s pretty creepy too. Looks like it’s the diary of a death agent.” Though he says the book’s creepy, Sungmin, obsessed with horror stories, obviously enjoys reading.

 

Hearing that Donghae turns back to the book’s first page. My name is Choi Siwon. This is my diary…

 

Choi Siwon…

 

……

 

“Donghae!”

 

Donghae’s startled when Sungmin not so gently pushes his shoulder. “Har? What?”

 

“You seem very interested. Do you really believe that there are death agents among us?” Eyes blinking with excitement, Sungmin’s very happy that he’s found someone to discuss the topic.

 

“……” Before Donghae can respond, he sees Kyuhyun running towards them.

 

“Hey come over! Hyukjae’s got himself in trouble!”

 

The next second all three of them are running.

 

……

 

When they arrive, door of the principal’s room is opened and Hyukjae steps out. His uniform is torn and covered with dirt. One side of his face is bruised and bloodstain can still be seen at the corner of his mouth.

 

Immediately Donghae rushes towards Hyukjae. “Are you alright?” He puts an arm around Hyukjae’s shoulder.

 

Hyukjae doesn’t look up. His lips are pressed together.

 

The next instant somebody else comes out of the principal’s room. He doesn’t look much better than Hyukjae. This person walks to stand in front of them. “You’ll pay for this!” Without another word he strides away.

 

Defiantly Hyukjae raises his head, and watches this person go away.

 

“Did you lose you mind? Why did you mess with Jiro?” Sungmin’s tone carries traces of accusation. He’s very concerned.

 

Jiro’s the high school bully. Rumors say that he has ties with some gangsters outside. Nobody dares to cross his lines. Now it’s clear to all four of them that Hyukjae’s life in school (maybe even outside school) will be turned upside down.

 

Hyukjae doesn’t think he did anything wrong. A lot of times you suffer because you’re doing the right thing. When he saw Jiro bully Ryeowook, he just couldn’t make himself turn a blind eye and walk away.

 

“Coz it’s the right thing to do.” That’s Hyukjae’s answer to Sungmin’s question. Slowly he moves forward, hands in his pockets, reminding himself he’s doing the right thing.

 

He did the right thing messing with Jiro. He’s also doing the right thing pursuing his dream, even though to a certain extent he’s messing with his father.

 

And he’s sure, seeing him like this, his father will scold him hard.

 

……

 

Above him the sun’s idly shining, as its shift of the day is almost over. Twilight showers golden dust onto everything around him. In front of him he sees the long shadow of his own, as the sun sinks further down.

 

He has a companion. There’s another shadow.

 

Upon reaching a crossing he turns right. He’s not in the mood to talk, so he just continues his way without saying goodbye to his companion. Just as the sense of guilt crosses his head, his notices that the other’s still following him.

 

“Donghae I’m alright. You don’t have to accompany me.” Hyukjae turns to face his friend.

 

“I’ll walk you home.” Donghae insists.

 

The two of them lock eyes with each other. After some time Hyukjae knows there’s no way to make Donghae change his mind. Therefore he resumes his steps.

 

They arrive at Hyukjae’s house uneventfully. Before Hyukjae enters he smiles at Donghae, awkwardly because it hurts. “Come on. Don’t tell me you’re worried that Jiro would do something to me.”

 

That awkward smile on Hyukjae elicits one on Donghae’s face as well. “No. I just want to walk you home.”

 

They pat each other on the shoulder. “See you tomorrow.”

 

“See you tomorrow.”

 

Donghae stands there until Hyukjae disappears behind the door.

 

Of course Donghae worries.

 

……

 

 

Later that evening, after the sun is completely set, the death agent wanders in the streets. Well it’s not accurate to say that he’s wandering. He’s gathering ideas for his task ahead.

 

Gangsters. Not a bad idea.

 

Tonight he’s not in white. He doesn’t plan to strike tonight. In his casual wear he stops and looks up at a window, behind which he knows is the room of his next target.

 

The death agent looks around. This is a busy street. Problems with gangsters here are worsening. But the city has not fallen into a state where gangsters dare to kill in a busy street yet. Instead gangsters ambush.

 

That means he’d need to lure his target to some deserted corner in the city. But where?

 

Maybe that alley...?

 

And how?

 

……

 

The death agent sighs. Actually he can make this whole thing much easier. Just like last time. Go in and kill. Clean and simple.

 

Problem 1. It’s not fun.

 

Problem 2. If too many people die of indescribable heart attack, human beings would start to investigate, suspect and maybe one day figure out the existence of his kind.

 

No further idea pops up in his head. The death agent checks the time, and decides to close business for the day. Now he knows the background of his next target, as well as the area his next target lives. Time to go home.

 

He turns and prepares to cross the street. That’s the moment he sees someone he recognizes, standing across the street, watching him with arms crossed.

 

Instantly the death agent knows. His upcoming task would be difficult.

 

 

----------------------------------

A/N: Sorry to be late! Summer is great! How are you enjoying? Did anyone of you go to SS5?

A/N2: I like this story more and more!!! ^^