In Time

In Time

 Tears streaked his blotched cheeks, his bottom lip quivered, and he couldn't have been more than five years old. She wondered why he secluded himself in a dingy corner, away from the others who were clearly enjoying their little recess. She took a step towards him and retracted briskly at his flinch and scowl. 

Chaerin rolled up her sleeves and pulled her hair into a quick bun. She always did like a challenge.

 Well, he was stunned.

 He hadn't expected the Children's Services Center's troublesome child to be so subdued. The boy was interacting with another child, a large, silly smile plastered onto his face. Such a sudden change would have remained shrouded in mystery had he not spotted the child totter his way over to a young woman. Seemingly shy, the boy produced his toy in front of her, offering it to her. She laughed and merrily accepted his gift and he skittered off.
 
Yongguk stared at the woman in amazement, eyes wide and mouth agape. Her gaze landed on his form and certainly dorky bewilderment, leaving him slightly embarrassed. Caught red-handed, he decided to approach her and interrogate this tamer of wild children.
Within a few feet's distance, his mind finally registered her image, her features - his senior in the music/entertainment industry. Oh. Abashed, he bowed his head multiple times, greetings caught in his throat. She returned his sentiments in a more graceful manner as if she were used to juniors presenting themselves so.
Her eyes snapped back to the little boy.

"Do you also volunteer?" Words smoothly flowed out from her.

"Y-yes," He stuttered ruefully. "I help out as much as I can. It's been great, actually." The deep, husky voice that erupted from him reeled Chaerin's thought and focus back to him. She had only ever heard a voice like that come from Choi Seunghyun, and his was far more rich than this young man's tone. It wasn't distasteful, she found herself thinking.
 
"I wish I could be around more often. My schedule isn't as flexible as it used to be." She whispered, her nimble fingers dancing on the top of the weathered table.
"How did you get the boy to play? To smile? We've tried everything and nothing worked..."
 
A small smile found its way onto her face and she glanced at him, grateful his eyes peered at said child. He was a handsome, youthful man that could surely woo any person with his masculine facial features and husky voice. She had noticed him before, his group promotions active during her own team's activities. The guy looked ferocious, however, he was not so different than herself - the big softie.
 
"The power of being a woman - you get equipped with things that come in handy for situations as these. You should try it sometime." She snorted upon his appalled reaction. "Wait, before getting into specifics, I would like to know his name. That's something he didn't inform me of."
 
Yongguk grinned. "Now, I asked you a question first. It would be rude to evade."
Her eyes flashed him a challenge. "I am your senior. It would be disrespectful to shove my question aside."
His eyes crinkled, sparkling with joy. "And I am your senior by age."
She sputtered. "Must you be so stubborn?" Chaerin inquired with a huff. 
 
"The unfortunate power of being a man."
 
Her nostrils flared in retort.
 
"Minwoo. Lee Minwoo."
 
"Thank you." She bit out, grudgingly.
 
"So, how did you do it?" He reiterated, patiently.
 
"Maternal instincts kicked it. Children need their mothers. So all I did was shower him with the tidbits of affection a mother bestows upon her child."
 
"What did you do for him?"
 
"Hm. Wouldn't you like to know?" Delight dripped from her tone.
 
Gums peeked out as he flashed her a smile. She pressed a chaste kiss onto his cheek, gratified at his jolted appearance.
 
"A freebie, since my time is up. One of the few motherly tendencies I doted him with. The others are a bit more pricey. I wouldn't count on your luck to figure them out." She waved in farewell, proceeding to hug the child goodbye. Gradually his skin flushed, but he managed to continue smiling like the dorky character he was.
 
He always did like a challenge.