9

Crystal Guardians

C H A P T E R  N I N E

A W A K E  A N D  A S L E E P


 

 

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me..” Himchan muttered on his breath after they hiked up a rocky mountain, went through a dark forest, and now six Guardians accompanied by a flying creature standing in front of a dark chilly cave. The feline eyed man turned around, giving a ‘are-you-serious-‘ look to others. “Youngjae. You’re the one who came up with this idea. You go first.” Daehyun pushed Youngjae to the front line, making him to lead the way inside the Ursa’s Lair.

“Fine, fine..” The brain of the group didn’t even think twice, with a long stride he walked inside the cave. “Why do we always encounter things inside a cave?” He mumbled as the others followed behind him, already armed with their own weapons. They walk in silence, only sounds of water droplets dripping from the top of the cave, sounds of their footsteps, water puddles which they stepped on while walking, the walls of the cave are cold, the chill made their spines stiff, and they felt their goosebumps are risen.

The more they go deeper, the more cold and dark it is.

Youngjae the tablet’s light, and he light the path for a while, looking around the rock surroundings. A thing that he wished he didn’t see.

A skeleton hanging on the side, with the chest pierced with a large piece of horn.

Before Youngjae could scream from the sight, Himchan quickly covered his mouth and all the eyes widened at the creepy situation. Even Zelo already clutching to Jongup who’s clutching to Yongguk. “It’s alright, there’s nothing to be scared of. The Ursa can smell your fears.” Yongguk softly said, almost like a whisper to them. “Light the way, Kupo~ I’ll be on your side~” Mog managed to speak as soft like Yongguk did and flew his way next to Youngjae.

Jongup stiffened as he felt something passed over him.

“Z-Ze.. I felt something..” He whispered as they continue their move, whispering to the tall boy next to him. “It’s just your feeling, Jongup. The cold chills are playing with your mind.” Zelo plastered a faint smile on his pale face, trying to remove the fear from Jongup’s face.

A cold wind brushed Daehyun’s neck, making him flinched at the sudden contact. “Ah!” He exclaimed, but the others quickly stopped, hushing Daehyun for his loud noise.

And there’s a groan heard form the further path in front of them.

Youngjae stopped, turning off his light, calming down his breath and steadying his heart beat. He turned around, squinting his eyes as he saw the other Guardians also stopped on their tracks, holding their weapon tightly. Sounds of quick steps echoing, clearly it’s not human’s.

Look at all of you, Guardians. Surprise ahead.

As they thought the monster are far enough, Youngjae turned around to where he face the dark path, but he felt a warm breath in front of him. He clicked the lights on and flashed in front of him, which is..

An Ursa in front of him.

Youngjae hitched on his breath, earning the monster groans in front of him. All of the Guardians quickly moved to the side as the monster charged everything in front of itself, thank goodness of their quick reflexes, they managed to dodge the monster without getting caught. Youngjae’s heartbeat went faster each time they walk further away from the monster behind. Yongguk grabbed the latter’s wrist, looking straight to Youngjae’s eyes. “Calm down. Your heartbeat can be heard by the monster.” He whispered, and Youngjae replied with a nod. They continue their walk, ignoring the groaning beast. But then, Himchan unluckily stepped on a dried twig.

Crack.

The monster whipped its head to where the sound of the twig is. There’s no more ‘keep calm’ again, “Run!” Zelo exclaimed as they quickly pushed their leg muscles to the top speed, running away from the monster who’s now chasing them. Youngjae glanced at the tablet as they run, leading their way out from the madness here. The light from his tablet went off, and Mog quickly light up the way with his staff, helping the Guardians out.

Jongup glanced behind, the monster taking up the speed, trying to eat them alive. He loaded his bullets and shot it right on the head. Still, it won’t enough to kill a big monster like Ursa. “Left guys!” Youngjae shouted, and they turned around the corner at the left. Sounds of rocky walls being crumbled down as the monster’s body hit it, making them panic even more. With a little amount of light, they hardly see what’s in front of them. Zelo knocked to a branch which wildly grow on the sides, Yongguk and Daehyun stumbled on some rocks, almost making them slow down.

They arrived at a big space, dividing the escape route into 5 different tunnels. Youngjae swiped furiously on the screen, trying to find a map in this place. Usually it doesn’t took a minute or two, but this time, blame the signals. “Youngjae hurry up!” Himchan shouted, but he’s ready with his weapon. Yongguk looked around, snapped his head to the way they took before because he heard a monster groan coming closer. “Youngjae!” Daehyun exclaimed in panic, Jongup reloaded his bullets again, prepare to fire the monster’s head. “Oh gosh! Be patient oh my Etro..” Youngjae mumbled as he tapped his fingers quickly. The monster’s head appears from the corner with its mouth opening wide as it approaching them.

“Second tunnel from the left! Come on!” Youngjae called, followed by the others from behind. Zelo managed to cast a fireball before catching up with the others, burning the head of the monster. “Zelo!” Jongup shouted, waiting for his younger brother. “Let’s go.” Zelo said, running behind the other four Guardians; leaving the shrieking monster behind. As everyone know, ‘one die, another will born.’ , another monster came from the side, chasing the Guardians.

“No no no no no..” Youngjae glanced at the map as he saw a red dot coming closer to them, signaling another monster is coming right at their backs. They run with all their might, their heavy pants lingering around the air. Their face lit up as they saw a light in front of him, a way out. “Keep running, boys!” Mog cheered as he flew towards the exit as he tug Youngjae’s collar because he’s slowing down. “Oh my Etro! My legs are burning!” The brain exclaimed.

They crawled up to the small exit tunnel, one by one came up to the surface, breathing hard as they inhales a big fresh forest air. “Jongup come up!” Himchan extended his hand, trying to reach Jongup’s hand. Behind him, Zelo tripped on a tree root, making him fall to the front. The monster grabbed Zelo’s ankle, dragging him closer to the beast. “Jongup!” Zelo shouted for help, and Jongup quickly shot bullets to the monster’s hand, releasing the grip on Zelo’s ankle. He pulled Zelo’s armor and pushed him to the exit tunnel. “Go!” Jongup shouted, reloading the bullets and shot the monster rapidly with his gunblade, making the monster staggered to the back. He slowly walked backways, defending Zelo as he crawled up. As he shot the bullets, the monster shot a sharp black liquid to Jongup’s leg. It burns his armor, exposing the flesh and slowly burning his skin.

“Jongup, hurry!” Himchan extended his hand again, and Jongup quickly grabs. He pulled the younger out from the cave and Zelo swung his staff towards the small tunnel, making the ground shaking and closed the tunnel with soil. All of them sighed heavily with relief, some of them dropped to the ground and trying to steadying their breaths. “Zelo, you’re okay?” Jongup asked, hiding his injured leg while placing his gunblade back to his waist. “I’m fine.. My ankle hurts a bit though.. But I’m fine..” Zelo muttered on his shaky breath as he looked around to the others. Youngjae sighed and brushed his hair to the back, “Let’s get going, guys..” He softly said, turning around to walk towards the Crystal. “Brave decision, Jongup.” Yongguk pulled Jongup up from the ground, patting his back. He replied with a weak smile and nodded, following his fellow Guardians.

Jongup silently winced whenever he moved his right leg, slowly his leg feels numb. He took a glance at his leg, shocked by the sight of it. His veins went black, seems like that liquid is a venom or something, he thought. Ignoring the creepy look on his leg and pain, he continues to walk behind with a slow pace as he regain his stamina back. Hopefully the venom won’t kill him.

 

- - -

 

After a pretty long walk, they reached into the centre of the forest, creating a circular field while the moon shining right above them. “Oh my..” Youngjae dropped to his knees, and his tablet falls from his hands. His eyes glistening at the magnificent sight in front of him, his lips tugged into a smile. Daehyun’s mouth gaped as he saw what’s in front of him, placing his axe to his back and sighed in relief. Yongguk chuckled and pulled Himchan on his shoulder, who’s grinning like a kid. “We made it.” The leader muttered to Himchan, replied by a quick nod. Zelo waved his staff, happy that they just got in time to reach the place where they searched for years. How about Jongup?

He was right behind them, holding his weight on a tree next to him, leaning his shoulder there. He smiled weakly to Mog as the creature turned around to see him, assuring that he’ll join the group’s rejoice later. He looked the blue crystal from far, “Safe and sound..” He mumbled. His breaths are heavy, his right side of his body feels like burning and numb. He turned around and lifted his arm-brace, the venom quickly spread inside his body and now it’s reaching his right arm. He pulled down his arm-brace and walked to them.

The Crystal glowing blue in front of them, glittering as the moon shines through the transparent Crystal. It shaped like a female floated in the air, accompanied by the Sphere orbs around her. She looks young, and resembles Lightning most.

“Youngjae. Call the Academia.” Yongguk said and Youngjae quickly tapped his tablet and dialing Academia. As soon they connected, Youngjae blabbered about how they found the Crystal and the status of it. “She’s fine.. She’s completely fine..” Youngjae said, his hand slowly reaching the blue crystal. It feels cold and beautiful and the same time. “Hold on—“ Youngjae’s words was cut as the Crystal suddenly bursting out a blue light, making all of them squinting their eyes.

“Youngjae?” The person from Academia called, and they slowly opened their eyes.

“You won’t believe this, Silv.” Youngjae muttered, as he approached a young female in front of him. “H-Hello?” He shyly called the female, but she looked at Mog. She smiled widely and quickly hugged the floating Mog. Surprised, Youngjae moved to the side and tilted his head in confusion. “Mog!” She exclaimed. “Lady Naya!” Mog hugged her and twirled around. So, her name is Naya.

Naya turned her body to face Youngjae and the others, she pulled back from Mog’s hug. “Umm.. Hi.” She waved her hand to them, who’s still in shock. The Crystal just came back to life. “Reporting. The Crystal’s name is Naya. She looks like Lightning.” Youngjae reported to the Academia. He walked closer to her and slightly bowed his head. “I’m Youngjae, and these are the Crystal Guardians. I suppose you know about us.” He flashes his warm smile to her. Naya nodded and returned his smile, she waved her hand to the others behind.

“That’s Yongguk, our Leader.” Yongguk smiled, nodding his head as he placed his blade inside the case right on his back

“Himchan, the Sentinel.” Himchan grinned, and gave Naya a quick wink. “Nice to meet you, Naya.” He said.

“Daehyun, the Medic. He’s a food monster as well..” Youngjae whispered the last sentence, sadly, Daehyun caught his words. Daehyun slightly smiles to Naya then he darted his eyes away from her.

“Zelo, youngest and the Synergist.” Zelo waved his hands to Naya, smiling widely. Naya chuckled at Zelo’s child-like behavior. She was amazed by how young Zelo is, but already become a Guardian.

“And that’s—“

Thud.

Jongup falls to the ground, unconscious. The venom already spread inside his body, and he can’t hold the pain any longer.

“Jongup!” Zelo quickly approach the fallen Guardian, holding him on his shoulder. He gasped seeing his veins on the right side of his body turned into black. “Daehyun! Help!” Zelo called, Daehyun rushed over to the side, trying to get the venom out from Jongup’s body. Naya’s eyes widened in shock and coming close to the group, hoping that Jongup is still alive. She can’t do anything right now after awaken from years of ‘eternal sleep’. Yongguk snatched the tablet from Youngjae’s hand, “Academia. This is Yongguk and we need an emergency medical help. Send an aircraft here, we got one injured badly right now.” He said. “Alright. We scanned your location, we’ll be there in 10 minutes or so. Hang on.” Silv, from Academia answered. “A medic-carrier is sent to your location.” Yongguk nodded, “Thank you.” He disconnect the talk from Academia and walks to Jongup.

“Jongup. Hang on, okay?” Yongguk said, brushing his fingers through Jongup’s brown hair. He weakly nodded, his breath becomes really heavy as he tried to inhale as much as oxygen he could. His sight is blurred by the venom inside. Is this the end for him?

 

 


LAKSDJLAJDLKAS HEY.

After another 'semi-hiatus' I managed to update again!

subscribe, comment, or any feedbacks will be fine as well.

ask on the tumblr too if you guys want c:

ask-guardians