After The Rain Comes The Storm

After The Rain

 

I walked around the railway station because it was very boring at home as everyone was doing something on their own. It was a very normal day for me up until I entered the railway station entrance because as soon as I walked in everyone smiled and greeted me as if there was a good aura surrounding me. I felt that there was something unusual that was going to happen because generally everyone except the railway workers would not greet my siblings and me when we came to visit. I was walking aimlessly when someone called my name. “Sica!” the familiar called me from behind. I turned around and waved to the owner of the familiar voice “Hello Mr. Kim!” I smiled at him as he walked closer. “Why do you look very excited?” I asked him as he looked so much happier than he usually is, “Haven’t you heard the news?” he asked me back “What news?” I was obviously in the dark about something. “I see you haven’t” he said in a matter-of-fact tone, He rummaged the sling bag that he had and pulled out something. “Here, read this and you will know what’s going on” he said as he gave me the folded newspaper. “Okay, I will” I took the news paper from his wrinkled hands. He was about to walk pass me when he turned and told me that it was better if I read it while sitting down. I thanked him and quickly searched for the nearest bench.

I found a bench a few meters from where I was standing. I sat down and began to untie the strings that were tying the newspaper together. I was about to unfold the newspaper when I felt someone was standing in front of me. I looked up and saw a smiling boy looking down at me “Hello, Hae!” his smile grew wider and he just nodded curtly. “What are you doing?” he asked as he sat beside me. I lifted the newspaper I was holding so it was at an eye level “I was about to read the newspaper” I continued to unfold it. The first line I read as soon as I unfolded it was “NOT GUILTY” and my father’s picture was on the front page. I began reading what it was about because I hoped my father could be free from prison and that we can be the happy family we used to be. I was so immersed in reading the article that I felt my heart beat faster after every sentence I read. As I read further, tears started to weld and my breath began to shorten. After I finished reading, the tears I held back streamed down my cheeks and my right hand automatically came to my mouth. “Are you alright?” Donghae who was still beside me asked but I was so speechless to answer him. I turned towards him and smiled widely with tears running down my cheeks. “My father….. he…. he’s free” I hugged him because I was so happy. After some time, I broke the hug and stood up. “Where are you going?” he looked confused but I did not answer him because my feet had actually leaded me towards the exit of the railway station.

On the way home, all that I could think was about the good news and how happy mother would be when I tell her this. I ran with all my might and did not even stop. I did not have time to catch my breath because of the overwhelming feeling. “Mother!” I called as soon as I went into the house but no one replied. I called for mother again but this time my siblings, Krystal and Yunho oppa came out from their room with messed up hair. “What’s with the noise?” Krystal rubbed her eyes and yawned, evidence that she just woke up from a nap. “Where’s mother?” I asked them and they just pointed at her room. I walked quickly to mother’s room and knocked on the door as soon as I was in front of it. Her voice that sounded distant called me in. I was shocked when I opened the door. I was welcomed into a very messy room when usually her room was always clean and organized. It looked as if a storm just hit the room. My mother was sitting on her favorite chair where she usually writes her stories. I walked to her slowly and when I was near enough, I hear the sobbing of my mother. “Mother, why are you crying?” I was surprised by the state she’s in. She handed a brown envelope with shaky hands. I opened the letter and stated reading it. I read it over and over again but the only sentence that I understand is ‘I’m sorry my dear family, I cannot go and see you in this state but I will surely come back to you. Please wait for me patiently and never lose hope.’ I was shocked with the turn of event. Without wasting time, I wrapped my arms around my usually strong mother’s shoulders and comforted her by telling her that everything was alright and that father would keep his promise. It broke my heart that my dad isn’t going back to us now but I have to stay strong for my mother, Krystal, Yunho oppa and my father.

 

 

#

 

 

After a few months of waiting, father still did not come to their house in the countryside. The only thing that would tell them that he was still alright and alive was a letter that included a sum of money that he sent to them every month. The children were sad that he had not comeback but they try to lessen the sadness by going on adventures at the railway station, the only place that they forget their problems for a while.