In the Cafe

Because Love Needs Sacrifice

 

Heechul looked around the large student hall and blew out some air upwards making his bang flew momentarily. The preparation was almost complete; properties and sound systems were all in proper places and ready to be used. All he needed to do now was calling for a brief meeting with all of the student representatives before they started the final rehearsal. He looked around and called Hangeng, one of the class chairmen, then ordered him to gather all of the class representatives in the dressing room for a briefing.

 

On his way to the dressing room, he caught a glimpse of Youngwoon walking to a deserted room. Frowning, the lanky man decided to follow the younger and see what he's up to.

 

"It's risky, you know."

 

Heechul heard a soft voice which he was sure didn't belong to the bulky man and slowed his steps to sneak beside the slightly opened door.

 

"I don't care. I miss you so much..." came Youngwoon's hushed voice then soon there were gasps and wet sounds. Heechul strongly wished it was not what he thought it was but when he peeked inside the dimly lit room, his hands clenched into fists involuntarily. He quickly left that place and got out of the student hall to get some fresh air.

 

"Heechul-ah." A familiar voice called and Heechul's eyes widened as he saw the brown head approaching him with a wide smile. "I"m glad I meet you here. I didn't know anyone from the Art Department but Youngwoon insisted that I must watch his final rehearsal since tomorrow I can't come coz I have classes. Do you, by any chance, know where he is now? I've been trying to call him but his phone seems to be out of battery or something coz he never turns off his phone when we have—“

 

"Let's go to my sister's cafe." Heechul quickly cut him off and dragged him away from the hall. He couldn't let Jungsoo meet that bastard, at least not now.

 

"W-why? Youngwoon will be looking for me and... ah!” Jungsoo finally stopped blabbering as the younger’s nails dig deeper into his hand. Heechul realized he was holding him too tight so he hurriedly released his grip and smiled apologetically.

 

“Sorry. There will be a new product in the café and I want to taste it.” Heechul said in much calmer voice now. “Ahh I’m so hungry now.” He added more cheerfully not wanting Jungsoo to see any trace of lie in his words.

 

Jungsoo pondered for a while. Youngwoon would definitely worry about him not coming as he’d promised and maybe a little mad too, since he’d been preparing for his showcase tomorrow and really wanted Jungsoo to watch him singing on the stage. But well, he’s the one who didn’t pick up his phone so Jungsoo would have a reason at least to defend himself. Moreover, it’s Heechul who asked him to go out; Youngwoon seemed to respect this particular senior of his and actually pretty loose in letting Heechul spent much time with him in the library. So he finally took a deep breath and followed Heechul with a small smile until they arrived in the café.

 

“Woahh it looked cool!” Jungsoo exclaimed as he saw the interior design of the café from the glass door and windows surrounding it.

 

“HEENIM!” a loud shriek was heard then soon Heechul was wrapped in a tight hug by a woman and was dragged to sit on a table in the back corner. “What brings you here? You didn’t even come on the grand opening day but now… oh, you take your boyfriend?” a smirk adorned her face as she finally noticed Jungsoo’s presence.

 

“No, I’m not—“

 

“Shut up, noona!”

 

Jungsoo was flustered while Heechul retorted in annoyance though he couldn’t hide a blush that crept to his face.

 

“What are you doing here, though? Don’t you have the rehearsal for tomorrow’s event?”

 

“I want to try that poop bread you talked about, noona, so bring us some, please?” Heechul beamed with his puppy eyes in hope that his sister would leave them sooner.

 

“Hmm alright then.” She finally left after giving her another smirk and a wink to her brother.

 

“Well, that was my noona.” Heechul stated awkwardly as he didn’t know what to do next.

 

“She’s cool and you two seem very close.” Jungsoo smiled showing his deep dimple that took Heechul’s breath away. “So you want to work here after you graduate?”

 

“Eh?”

 

“You said you want to learn accounting to help your sister.” Jungsoo tilted his head and Heechul had to restrain himself from pinching his cheeks. How could be a man his age looked so cute like that?

 

“Oh… yeah, maybe.” Maybe not. He added inwardly and was about to ask something when his phone vibrated and a loud ringtone sounded in the room. He quickly picked it up without seeing the caller and soon facepalmed as he listened to what the other was saying. “Just carry on with the schedule. We’ll have the briefing after rehearsal. Yes, I know. Good. Ok.”

 

“Should we go back now?” Jungsoo asked when Heechul had put his phone down on the table. “You have to do some rehearsal too, don’t you?”

 

“No, it’s ok.”

 

“But Youngwoon said—“ this time Jungsoo was cut by the sound of his own ringtone. “Youngwoon-ah.” Heechul scowled as he heard him talk to the receiver. “I’m with Heechul, he took me to his sister’s café and… but your phone was off so I… ok, I’m sorry. Fine, we’ll meet there.”

 

“How long have you been with him?”

 

“I’ve known him since kindergarten.” Jungsoo looked down avoiding Heechul’s gaze.

 

“And you love him so much?”

 

“Yes, very much.” Jungsoo answered truthfully. He looked up as he heard Heechul sighed and caught sadness in younger’s eyes.

 

“But does he, though? Does he love you that much?” Like I do. I know I do. Heechul thought bitterly.

 

“He loves me more.” Came a very confident answer. That wasn’t a lie, Jungsoo knew that for sure.

 

Ignoring his bleeding heart, Heechul forced a smile to the determined person in front of him. “Well, if you say so.”

 

He’d thought about telling Jungsoo the truth but seeing how the man was so sure of their love, Heechul didn’t have the heart to break the news himself. If it would make him happier a little longer, Heechul wouldn’t be the one to bring tears into those beautiful eyes. But he was sure Jungsoo would find out sooner or later. And he hoped it was later or never. Who knows that Youngwoon might really love Jungsoo and would leave that other guy. Or so he thought.

 

-The End-

 

_____________________________________________________________________________

 

Should we end it like this? Well for now I'll just mark it complete. But as a friendly reminder, I'm not a big fan of KangTeuk. *smirks*