In the Library

Because Love Needs Sacrifice

Kim Heechul was glancing again at the brown-haired man seated across the room. The man was happily playing with his phone and clearly oblivious to the long stares Heechul had been giving him for the past two and half hours. Heechul sighed heavily and turned to inspect his nails instead. ‘What a fool.’ He scolded himself inwardly.

 

The school’s drama club president boredly looking around the library and couldn’t help a scowl from adorning his beautiful face. Kim Heechul wasn’t the type of student one would find hanging around a library, not at all. But here he was, for the past month he’d been spending his recess time between classes sitting in the school’s library and pretending to read a book about accounting.

 

He sighed again and thought about the brown-haired man who was now frowning cutely over a thick book while scribbling down on his notebook every now and then. Park Jungsoo—that was his name—was a third year student majoring in Business Management Department. Heechul cursed his luck for not meeting this man earlier seeing that they were of the same age. Only that Hechul was majoring in Fine Art Department, but that wasn’t enough of a reason for Heechul to not notice the charming man for all these three long years.

 

They happened to meet around four weeks ago when Heechul was forced to go to the library for one of his literary classes. A particulary loud and unique laugh caught his attention and that’s when he saw a brown-haired man laughing hard while covering his mouth to (futilely) suppress the sound of his laughter. A smile—yes, seriously, not a smirk like he did most of the time—crept to Heechul’s face and he finally found himself voluntarily went to the library again on the next day. Surely enough, the brown head was there sitting on the same table as before and Heechul dared himself to sit in front of him.

 

“Hi.” Heechul smiled confidently making the brown head looked up and promptly a confused smile was drawn on his face. Heechul’s heart skipped a beat as he caught a glimpse of a deep dimple in the corner of the man’s mouth. “What faculty are you in?”

 

“Economy.” A soft voice reached his ears and he smiled inwardly seeing that he actually had a way to get closer to this man.

 

“Accounting?”

 

“Nope. Business Management.”

 

“But you do get accounting classes, right?” Heechul wasn’t giving up on his attempt to hold their conversation longer.

 

“Only one, actually. So what—“

 

“I’m Kim Heechul from the Fine Art Department. I’ve been wanting to learn some accounting, so can you teach me?”

 

“But I don’t exactly master it or anything. I just…”

 

“It’s ok. You can just tell me which book you read during your accounting class or something like that. What’s your name, again?”

 

“I’m Park Jungsoo.”

 

Heechul would never forget the hesitant look on the man’s eyes that time. He felt a bit guilty for being so insistent and maybe a little intimidating towards the man but he couldn’t help the feeling of wanting to be close to this man he barely knew.

 

A loud cheerful ringtone brought Heechul back from his reminiscence and soon he heard the soft voice he always longed to hear every night he was about to sleep.

 

“Finished your classes?” Jungsoo spoke to the receiver with a glint in his eyes. Heechul closed the book he’d been holding and quietly stood up to approach the subject of his attention. “I’m in the library.” There was a giggle that sounded like the sweetest music to Heechul’s ears. “Alright then, I’ll wait for you here.” Jungsoo put his phone back on the table with a wide smile.

 

“Your lover?” Heechul asked as he sat in front of him.

 

“Oh…” again that hesitance but Heechul didn’t stop himself from voicing his bothering thoughts.

 

“She must be a very lucky girl.” He tried to be casual but fully aware of the bitterness in his own voice.

 

“It’s a he but I’m the lucky one to have him.” This time Jungsoo smiled warmly and Heechul didn’t know if he should be happy that they went for the same side or be brokenhearted knowing he had no chance to be with him.

 

He stared at the gentle man in front of him then Jungsoo looked up and their eyes locked for few seconds before the latter broke their gaze. Heechul’s heart clenched painfully as he surrendered to the thought that he’d been suppressing all this time. He’d fallen for this man. It’s ridiculous even for himself but in his defense, he just couldn’t control how and when to fall in love. And especially not to whom.

 

“Have you finished reading that book?” Jungsoo looked at him but avoided any eye contact.

 

“I guess so.” Heechul answered lazily.

 

“Why do you want to learn accounting, anyways?” this time Jungsoo straightly looked into his eyes, catching him off guard both with the question and those captivating dark orbs Heechul would never get tired to gaze at.

 

“My sister opened a café and I want to help her a little.” Heechul patted himself mentally for giving such compatible answer without stuttering in such situation.

 

“A café?!” Jungsoo exclaimed and Heechul had to stop himself from reaching out to caress the beaming face in front of him. “What kind of café and where?”

 

“It’s—“

 

“Jungsoo hyung!” a husky voice called and two heads simultaneously turned to see a handsome tall man nearing their table. He was about to hug the smiling older man but quickly bowed as he saw the other man’s face. “Oh, Heechul sunbaenim.”

 

“You know each other?” Jungsoo was throwing glances between the two men while Heechul frowned trying to remember if he knew the unfamiliar face.

 

“We’re in the same department and I know him coz I had to get his signature during orientation period. So he probably wouldn’t recognize me.” The youngest quickly explained to which the elders just nodded.

 

“Well, this is Kim Youngwoon.” Jungsoo quickly introduced him. Heechul just nodded while Youngwoon bowed again.

 

“Shall we go now, hyung?” he put his strong-looking hand on Jungsoo’s shoulder making Heechul scowled involuntarily.

 

“Are you going too?” Jungsoo asked when he’s already in standing position and Youngwoon moved his hand to his lower back.

 

“No, I’ll stay.” Heechul looked up, disdain in his eyes though his mouth attempted a forced smile. “See you again tomorrow?”

 

“I guess so.” A dimpled smile made Heechul’s heart fluttered but soon clenched in pain as his eyes were following the couple went out of library with Youngwoon’s arm around Jungsoo’s waist.

 

***

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I'll be back to updating my old chaptered fics after finishing this one.