Gnome Friend

QMi Ficlets

 

One day Zhou Mi is walking home when he almost trips over something. He turns and notices a small garden gnome lying innocently on the sidewalk. Curious, he picks it up, inspects it. It's rather dirty and it has a small crack on it's backside. Zhou Mi looks around but he's not really around any houses, so he figures it's okay for him to take the gnome home.

Once home, he sets the gnome down on the table. Niqiu yaps at his feet so Zhou Mi scoops him up and brings him into the kitchen. He feeds the small dog, then gets a towel wet, determined to clean off the gnome. But when he goes back to the table, he can't find it. Zhou Mi is pretty sure he set it down here but he just can't find the little guy. Suddenly Niqiu lets out a high pitched bark.

Zhou Mi rushes into the kitchen and sees the gnome sitting on the counter. He shakes his head, figures he must have carried it in to the kitchen when he fed Niqiu. He gently handles the gnome as he wipes the dirt off of it. He studies the gnome's face closer.

“You know, you look really familiar,” he says to the gnome. The gnome doesn't move or say anything. Zhou Mi shrugs and Niqiu continues to bark at the gnome.

Over the next few days, Zhou Mi keeps finding the gnome in strange places. He doesn't remember putting the gnome there but he's probably just sleep deprived. Except one night, he awakes with a jolt. It's thunder storming outside and when a flash of lightening lights up his room, he notices something in his room.

Another flash and Zhou Mi can clearly see the gnome sitting on the ground, staring at him. It's rather unnerving, so he takes the gnome back to the kitchen. When he gets back to his bedroom, he hesitates, then locks the door.

Niqiu keeps barking whenever he sees the gnome and Zhou Mi has to admit it's getting sort of creepy. But something inside him won't let him throw the little guy out. Instead he tries putting it out on his front stoop. The next day, the gnome is sitting on the couch and Zhou Mi swears its face is almost cross. He decides to keep it in the house.

That weekend, Kyuhyun comes home and Zhou Mi envelopes him in a hug, pressing kisses all over the younger man's face. “I missed you so much!” Zhou Mi exclaims and half spins Kyuhyun around in his arms. Suddenly, Niqiu barks at Kyuhyun. “It's just Kyuhyun, you silly thing,” Zhou Mi scolds and Kyuhyun laughs.

“Oh let me show you what I found!” Only when Zhou Mi tries to find the gnome, it's no where in sight. “What are you looking for?” Kyuhyun asks. “Hm, just this garden gnome I found while you were gone,” Zhou Mi says and shakes his head. “I guess I just misplaced it. I'm sure it will turn up.” Kyuhyun smiles mischievously before practically dragging Zhou Mi off to the bedroom.

Only Zhou Mi never sees the gnome again, and Niqiu sometimes still barks when Kyuhyun comes home. Kyuhyun just smirks, like he knows a secret that he'll never tell.