Coming Out

The Many Incidents of Eric and Hyesung's Relationship

 

(Can it really be considered ‘coming out’ when apparently everyone and their mothers already knew?)

Eric gulped, hands twitching and fidgeting where they rested on his thighs. Next to him, Hyesung was no better off, eyes flicking from Eric to the people in front of them, then back to Eric. His hands were tangled together, fingers intertwined and resting casually on top of his crossed legs. He may look like the picture of perfect calm to anyone else, but Eric knew better.

Since Hyesung was clearly too out of it to start, Eric took the initiative and cleared his throat. He inhaled deeply, reminding himself that they needed to do this, that it was for the best. And whatever the outcome is going to be, they’ll be prepared for it.

“Mom, dad, sisters,” Eric began, “And Pilgyo’s family.”

The group of people in front of them stopped whispering amongst each other and turned towards the two sitting together. Eric swallowed his back his saliva and willed himself to breathe once again, he can do this, no worries.

“I—no, we,” he put a hand on Hyesung’s shoulder, “have something to tell you all.”

Concern and curiosity started to flit through their family members’ expressions. Soft murmurs started between them again, before quieting down when Eric cleared his throat once more to demand their utmost attention.

“It’s—argh,” Eric momentarily lost his nerve, looking away from their family’s prying eyes. He felt a hand squeeze his kneecap, and he turned to find Hyesung looking at him with slight concern and a small encouraging smile playing on his lips. Eric squeezed Hyesung’s shoulder in return, and with newfound resolve, began again. “It’s not really that sudden. And if you can’t accept our decision, then I hope you can find it within yourselves understand why.”

Their family’s faces grew more concerned, not even bothering to turn and whisper amongst themselves anymore, focusing their attention only on the pair in front of them. Eric felt his palm sweat even more than it had since the start of the evening.

“Mom, dad, and the rest,” Eric took a deep breath, “We’re—Pilgyo and I—”

“We’re dating.” Hyeusng finished, simply and straight-to-the-point. “Junghyuk and I have been dating for nearly six months now. We thought we ought to tell you.”

Eric exhaled, glad that he wasn’t the one to actually break the news on them, and waited. Waited for any kind of reaction, be it explosive rage, disbelieving cries, or stunned silences. Whatever they got, it wouldn’t change the fact that they were dating, nor will it change their minds about dating each other. They promised to themselves and each other that coming out will change nothing to their relationship.

But the only response they ever got was Hyesung’s brother’s blunt: “That’s it?”

Eyes going wide, Eric and Hyesung looked at each other for a split second before snapping their heads towards their families. They all looked relieved and perhaps even a little nonchalant, it was as if they just told them Hyesung bought a new toaster instead of coming out about their relationship.

“Oh honey, don’t scare me like that, I thought it was serious…” Eric’s mother sighed.

“Yeah, you had us all worried for a second,” Eric’s sister chastised.

Eric and Hyesung looked back towards each other, confusion and shock evident in their faces. They began to exchange words telepathically, their stare unwavering as their faces showed each and every expression they wanted to convey. ‘What the hell just happened?’ ‘Don’t ask me! I thought they were going to explode on us!’ ‘Well I don’t know either! Why don’t you ask?’ ‘Me? Why don’t you go ask!’ ‘Hey, I did all the talking!’ ‘Well, I was the one who broke the news!’ ‘Argh, fine!’ Finding himself unable to win their mental argument—wanting so dearly to wipe that smug look off Hyesung’s face—Eric faced their families once again and approached the topic cautiously.

“Er, did you all by any chance, already know from the start?” Eric asked carefully, his eyes gauging their expressions.

“I honestly assumed you’ve been dating for years,” Hyesung’s father replied.

“Same here,” Eric’s father nodded, “We weren’t really okay with it per se, but somehow the idea…grew on us?”

“What your father is trying to say,” Eric’s mother interjected, “Is that we’ve already accepted it, and if that you were to ever tell us, we’ll support you however we can.”

Both Eric and Hyesung blinked owlishly, surprise written all over their faces.

“I’ll always accept my Pilgyo for whatever decision he makes,” Hyesung’s mother added, “If he wanted to date a man, then so be it. I’m actually very glad he chose Eric.”

“Though six months?” Hyesung’s dad raised his brows in slight surprised, “We all thought you’ve dated for longer.”

“Yeah, and I thought you were going to say that you’ve decided to elope so you can get legally married,” Eric’s other sister teased.

“E-elope?” Hyesung sputtered, voice cracking and face coloring into a bright cherry red.

“Oh a wedding would be so adorable!” Eric’s mother gushed, “I’d like to see my little boy in a suit and walking down the isle!”

“Mom!” Eric exclaimed, embarrassment painting his features.

“Oh, then I guess I’d like to see my Pilgyo in a dress! He’d be so adorable in a wedding dress!” Hyesung’s mother cooed.

“Mother!” Hyesung yelled out in horror.

“Oh yeah I think he’ll look good in a dress,” Hyesung’s brother nodded, “His figure’s not bulky like Junghyuk-hyung’s is, and I think he’s pretty enough to fit a dress.”

Hyesung threw a dirty glare to his brother’s direction. He was definitely not helping the situation.

“But what country should we have it in?” Eric’s father mumbled thoughtfully, hand coming up to scratch his chin.

“Dad, not you too!”

“Oh I think the USA is easiest,” Eric’s mom, apparently paying no heed to her child’s protests, answered, “It may not necessarily be the closest or the cheapest, but I think they have good enough wedding venues and we’re more familiar with the territory.”

“If we’re having a wedding, can my daughter be the flower-girl?” Eric’s sister piped up, “She’s been dying to be a flower-girl when one of her friends became one, she kept asking me when her uncle Eric is getting married already.”

As their families continued to plan for their non-existent wedding, Eric could only laugh in relief and amusement as he watched while Hyesung resorted to hide his burning face in his palms.

“Well I didn’t expect this,” Eric chuckled, talking lowly so only Hyesung heard him, not that their families would pay them any mind with how they were planning for their wedding.

“Neither did I.” Hyesung’s answer was short and clipped, still not looking up.

“You think our friends will react like this?” Eric mused.

“Honestly, what are the chances that they don’t already know?”

Eric laughed, leaning back against the chair as he watched their family mingle together. To tell the truth, he was relieved and content, relieved that the people that has been with them practically all their lives accepted them, and content that he can bask in this happy, family-like atmosphere accepted his and Hyesung’s relationship. It gave him a strange happiness to see their families mingling together as well as he and Hyesung (sometimes) did.

“So, you in a dress, huh?” Eric teased.

Hyesung finally looked up, cheeks still red with embarrassment but his eyes were fixed in a murderous glare. “Don’t even joke about that.”


First installation, rather...humorous I guess? Next installation to go!