By Chance

What Once Was Lost...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           Eunhyuk popped the trunk as he and Donghae carried the last of the cleaning supplies they’d just purchased out of the store.  “Is that really all we needed?  I was hoping this trip would keep us out of the house a little longer.”

           Donghae sadly shook his head, “That’s it.  But who says we should go back so soon?”

           “Yesung’s not stupid; he knows it doesn’t take that long at the store.”

           “We could still stop for lunch quick,” he suggested.  “He wouldn’t begrudge us that.  There hasn’t been anything decent in the house for two weeks!”

           “I wish Mr. Cho would quit scaring off all the best cooks,” Eunhyuk complained, his stomach rumbling.  “Okay, pick someplace quick then, my dear.”

           Donghae pretended to debate where to go but in reality he knew exactly what he wanted to eat.  “How about that little noodle shop down the street?”

           “The one with the shrimp cooking that looks like a kid?”

           “Yeah, Wookie.”

           “Sure.  I never thought much of that place until he hired that guy but I ended up eating two bowls the last time I was there.”

           “I don’t remember that,” said Donghae, closing the trunk.

           “Oh, aaaah…um…”

           Donghae’s mouth dropped open.  “You went without me?”

           “Well…I wasn’t planning to.”

           “And you didn’t bring me home any?”

            “I forgot my wallet at home and only had a little cash on me,” he defended himself.

           “You ate two bowls!”

           Eunhyuk looked sheepish as he got into the car.  “I’ll buy today.”

           “Damn right you will,” Donghae grumbled as he buckled his seatbelt. 

 

 

           Ryeowook was aware that his boss’s son, Seunghyun, was gradually growing more and more peeved with him as time went by.  Ever since his arrival at the popular noodle shop, it had become painfully obvious just how lazy the youth was and his father was becoming steadily more displeased with him.  To be honest, Ryeowook had nothing against the boy himself.  His only concern was to work hard to pay off his debt and keep a roof over his head, which was thankfully a room above the shop itself which he rented and had deducted from his paycheck.  He could never afford to rent a regular apartment, pay his bills, and still have money for food otherwise, so he worked hard to maintain his boss’s approval, not realizing his plans would end up blowing up in his face.

            Even Ryeowook had been told that business had increased since he started working at the noodle shop and he felt a sense of pride, it had been a long time since he felt important to anyone.  This afternoon was especially busy, being one of the first warm days of spring, and people were out and about.  Each time a table vacated, a new group of customers sat down to take their place, so he was relieved when a pair of workers from the mansion just outside of town came in that he’d recently befriended in the last couple months, Donghae and Eunhyuk.  Although he could tell that they goofed around a bit too much, they also managed to make him laugh, which wasn’t an everyday occurrence. 

           The duo called out his name as they entered and he looked up from the counter and waved at them.  “The usual today?”

           Donghae held up a hand with four fingers in the air.

           “Four?”

           They nodded in unison.

           “You meeting someone today?”

           “We’re hungry!  Hurry up and feed us!” Eunhyuk demanded as their waitress took their drink order.

            Ryeowook smiled in amusement and started preparing their food, chopping up some more vegetables to cook with their dishes.  When he was ready with their food, he helped the waitress carry out their bowls and waited a moment for their approval.

           “Mmmmm!  Oh, this—” Donghae said, unable to finish speaking as he ate another bite.

           “This is so good!  I could eat this every day,” Eunhyuk said.

           “You’d eventually get sick of it,” Ryeowook quietly grumbled.  “It’s almost all I eat.”

           “I’d be double my weight if I ate this daily, how do you stay so thin?” Donghae asked.

           “High metabolism,” he lied, since no one believed that he struggled to maintain his figure and had to watch portion sizes.

           “You’re just like Hyukie than,” Donghae complained. 

           “I’m not that thin!  Look at this muscle,” he said, rolling up his sleeve.

            To prove his point, Donghae did likewise and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter