The Neighbor

[One Shots!] [Apply please!]

This one's for shinyiuhan!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

“We’re free!” exclaimed a petite girl. “We never have to come back here again!” Her pouty lips spread into a wide smile as she twirled. Her long, layered black hair flew around her as she stopped to look at the tall boy next to her.

He chuckled as he looked down into her big, bright eyes. His fingers brushed against her cheek as he swept her fringe from her eyes. “Shall we celebrate later?” he asked huskily as his arm s around her small waist.

“Why wait?” she replied seductively. Her eyes invited him to follow as she ran ahead.

 

“J-ah-ae –, “ she moaned. Her nails ran across his broad back. She let out a whimper as their heated skin touched. Her back arched with each grunt evicted from his throat.

Jae groaned as he hungrily attacked her lips. He gave one last and rolled off her, heaving heavily. “That was the best I’ve had in weeks. Hana, you work wonders,” he muttered as he looked at her. His eyes observed the rapid rise and fall of her chest as she regained her composure.

The flush coloring her pale skin slowly faded as the temperature in the room cooled. She sat up and gathered the silk sheets around her body. “It’s only good when it’s with me, huh?” she asked arrogantly with a smirk. She slowly got up and gathered her clothes.

Her belongings had been strewn about the room in their hurry to sate their ravenous hunger. She carefully clasped her bra and slipped on her blouse.

“Where are my ?” she asked as she searched for the small piece of black lace.

“Dunno. You could just go without them,” he suggested playfully.

“Ha ha, very funny,” she replied sarcastically. She walked over to his desk and picked up the torn garment. “This is why I need to stop doing this. It’s ridiculous! This is the tenth you’ve ruined.”

“Sorry, I’ll take more caution next time,” he said sheepishly. “But it’s not my fault you’re so desirable. Every time I see you I can’t help but want to get you in bed.”

“I’ll see you later,” she muttered as she walked through the door.

 

Hyukjae stood in his yard kicking a hacky sack. He was supposed to hang out with his best friend, but Jae decided that he wanted to relieve some stress before celebrating. The creak of his neighbor’s fence caught his attention.

“Hey Hana, aren’t you a little late? Graduation finished a while ago,” he commented snidely.

Hana paused mid-step and turned to glare at him. “Why don’t you mind your own business? I can come home whenever I damn well please,” she replied coldly.

“You know, at the rate you’re going, you might want to start charging for the service.”

Hana scoffed at his comment and sauntered towards the fence between their yards. She gave him a small innocent smile and reached out for his tie. Violently, she pulled him down to her lips and whispered into his ear. “Go yourself.”

She loosened her grip on his tie and calmly walked towards her house without further regard to him.

 

Hyukjae watched as she disappeared behind her door. He shook his head as he chuckled at her response. Aggravating her was one of his favorite pastimes. They had grown up with each other. She had moved in right before their first year of school. He remembered the first thing she did when he went over to greet her.

“Hi!” chimed a little boy happily. “My name’s Lee Hyukjae, what’s your’s?”

The little girl stared at him as she clutched her doll to her chest. Her large eyes stared at him in wonder.

“Go on honey,” said her mother as she passed by with a box in her arms. “Why don’t you introduce yourself and go play with him?”

She looked up at her mother and back to the boy in defeat. “Shin Hana,” she mumbled into her doll.

“Why are you hugging that thing?” he asked, pointing his finger at her doll.

Hana stared at him quietly as her fingers played with the doll’s hair.

“Can I see it?” he asked. His hand extended towards her, motioning for her to give him the doll. “Wow! It’s like a transformer! Why doesn’t it change into anything?”

His small hands pulled at the doll in expectation. He stopped when one of the arms ripped off. Hana stared at it in horror. When she finally came back to her senses, she pushed him down and ran inside her house.

Hyukjae glanced back towards his house when he heard a crash come from inside. He sighed and decided that it would be best to wait for Jae at the café.

 

When he returned, he saw Hana perched on a tree branch with a sketchbook in hand. He could see the silhouettes of his parents through the living room window. The yelling could be heard from outside the house. He sighed heavily and slumped against the tree trunk.

Silence blanketed the two as both searched for something to say to the other.

“I’m sorry about what I said earlier,” Hyukjae apologized. “It was over the line. I should’ve known better.”

“It’s okay. I know you didn’t mean it. We’ve both been raised better than to mean something like that. Is everything with you okay?” she asked softly.

“Yeah,” replied Hyukjae after a period of silence. “I guess it is.”

“Liar, even if we’re not the best of friends doesn’t mean I don’t know when something’s up. What’s wrong?” she asked from her seat in the tree.

“My parents have been fighting a lot lately. I think my dad has a mistress. Sometimes I see him drive off in the middle of the night and stay out for a couple hours.”

Hana slid off her branch and sat beside him. “It gets better,” she said softly.

Hyukjae looked at her curiously. They had never had a civilized conversation until now. “Why are you trying to help me?” he asked. The distant look in her eyes drew in his curiosity. The slightly hurt tone in her voice captured his heart. He felt a sudden wave of regret as he realized that she was not as strong as she appeared to others. This girl before him had had her fair share of heartache.

“Because that’s how my parents were at one point. It gets better eventually.”

 

That was how the next few nights passed. They would sit under their tree and talk. Sometimes they talked about their future plans; what they were doing for college; when they wanted to get married. Sometimes it was about trivial matters like their favorite ice cream or the things they hated the most.

Hyukjae felt like he had gotten to know more about Hana in the past week than he had ever learned about her in all his years as her neighbor. She liked drawing and painting. Her compositions were amazing. She could play guitar and drums. She hated eating vegetables. Her attitude was incredibly insufferable whenever she didn’t get enough sleep. Dancing was definitely something she didn’t take to. Every so often, they would meet up for a midnight jog. Whenever she was nervous, she would always munch on something.

One night, she never joined him under the tree. Hyukjae was at a loss. She hadn’t said anything about missing their date. He heard a familiar laughter come from down the street. Hana was stumbling along with Jae. His arm hung lazily around her shoulders as his face nuzzled into the crook of her neck. Without acknowledging him, the two of them made their way into her house.

Jealousy and anger bubbled inside Hyukjae as the door shut. He felt betrayed. He was angry with himself that he felt betrayed. Hana had gone from the girl he always picked on to the girl he couldn’t live without. What made it worse was that she went against his strongest moral. He couldn’t stand it when girls gave themselves so easily to men. He believed that girls should save themselves for marriage.

Hyukjae sprinted along the sidewalk as he tried to rid himself of his anger and frustration. What should he do? He clearly felt his heart grasping for Hana’s hidden warmth while his head told him to stay away from her. She was the exact opposite of what he looked for in a woman. Which is why she’s perfect for you.

His feet had carried him to his favorite thinking spot in all of Seoul. He fell onto a bench and buried his face in his hands. Never had he felt so torn in his life. Usually, his head and his heart agreed on his decisions. He was at a loss.

Jae went to her whenever he needed to fulfill his ual needs. Hyukjae felt he would be betraying his best friend if he pursued her. Those two had been close since the beginning of time. He couldn’t deny that he felt a tinge of jealousy towards his friend. Jae had the looks and he most definitely had the girls. He had known Jae all his life; the two were practically brothers. It didn’t feel right to steal her away from him.

The devil on his shoulder bid him to move forward and steal her. So what if Jae always wanted to her? There were plenty of other women in the world. Hyukjae had been generous all his life; it was time to do something for selfish for a change.

 

As he headed towards his house, he caught a glimpse of Jae leaving Hana’s house.

“Oi! Hyukjae!” he called.

Hyukjae turned towards his friend and walked closer. Jae had gotten completely trashed from the party he went to earlier. From the looks of it, all of his clothing seemed oddly intact.

“You know,” he slurred, “you and Hana should really get together. It’s like you’re made for each other.”

Hyukjae stared at Jae in shock. Disbelief filled his head as he tried to make sense of what had just been said.

“She said she didn’t want to do anything with me anymore. Something about wanting to respect your beliefs.”

“Dude, you know I can’t do that. It doesn’t feel right to steal her away from you.” Hyukjae said sadly.

Jae leaned against the fence and allowed his putrid breath to reach Hyukjae’s nose. “She was never mine. Friends with benefits. That’s what we decided on. She only did it so she could get your attention.”

He could do nothing but stare with his mouth agape. Hyukjae watched as Jae stumbled down the sidewalk towards his house. It wasn’t until a good ten minutes later that the words they had exchanged set in.

Excitedly, Hyukjae jumped the fence and ran to her door. Nervous tension built inside his gut as he reached forward to push the doorbell.

Hana opened the door and looked at him in surprise. “Hyukjae…” she said absent-mindedly.

He felt her freeze as he wrapped his arms around her small frame. “Shin Hana, will you be my girlfriend?”

 

----------------------------------

How was it? I know it doesn't really focus all that much on the inner struggle. I wrote one that focused on his inner struggles throughout the whole one shot, but I found that it got a bit monotonous. Well I hope you enjoyed it. ^^ Comment/subscribe/APPLY! =P I can always use some more prompts people =D

~Emylie<3