Take my hand and run

Just hold my hand

 

The deafening blow of the whistle is loud enough to burst ones ear drum

 

“GET UP!”

 

Limbs every where, the boys scramble to get up, revealing the sore and panting Kim Jongin

 

Groaning and shielding his eyes from the sunlight, the coach hovers over him and watches as his chest slowly rises up, then gently heaves down, in time with his breathing which is quickly calming down.

 

Jongin hugs the football to his chest

 

“Hey playmaker, take a rest okay? You’re not in the correct headspace today, let Kibum come in” Mr Kim orders as he lends a hand to the playmaker of the game

 

Jongin gratefully accepts the hand and straightens himself up “But hyung, I’m fine Himchan-hyung, trust me I just-“

 

“No, I can tell when something is up Jongin. You’re exhausted. Take a rest”

 

“Hyung I need to be out there on the field-“

 

“No buts Jongin. That’s an order. Now go get Kibum and let him reserve you for today”

 

Jongin opens his mouth to rebut but Himchan holds up a hand to silence him

 

“Its either out for today in training or out for the game next week. Your choice”

 

Jongin grits his teeth and nods. Bowing to his coach, he turns around and trudges on back to get Kibum and tell him to reserve him and jump in. Jongin misses the worrying eyes following his every move and makes his way to the locker rooms.

 

Sighing Jongin sits down, his head in the palm of his hands, and slowly breathes in and out.

 

I don’t know how long I can keep this up…

 

-

 

Emerging from the change rooms, Jongin ruffles up his wet hair, picks up his backpack and throws it over his shoulder. Walking out of the room Jongin sighs deeply

 

“You know, if I had a dollar for every time you sighed, I’d probably be rich”

Jongin turns around at the sound of the voice to come face to face with Kyungsoo. The halfback of the game.

 

“What was with you today? You seemed pretty off” Kyungsoo says as he comes to stand side by side with Jongin who’s fumbling with his phone

 

“It’s just a one off. Don’t sweat it” Jongin says ruffling the shorter ones hair

 

Kyungsoo narrows his eyes “Well, it better be because it’s nearly the start of the season. We need our playmaker, especially me you know, being the halfback and all. I basically follow your steps; number 6 and 7 need each other on that field”

 

Jongin nods “I know Kyungsoo. I’m working on it and we’ve been working together for nearly 6 years now, you know me”

 

Kyungsoo smiles “I know, but today you seemed-“

 

“I know I know, I’m working on it. Just, leave it as it is okay?”

 

Kyungsoo sighs “Okay, I will”

 

Jongin smiles a small smile “Well, I better go now. I’ll, see you tomorrow”

 

Kyungsoo waves him goodbye and watches as Jongin walks away, however, not before turning around to give Kyungsoo one last wave.

 

Kyungsoo sighs

 

How long is it going to be until you realize it Jongin? Realize that you can’t always go at things alone forever?

 

-

 

On the field and in the game of rugby league, number 6 and number 7 works closely together. Being the playmaker of the game, number 6 must have a quick mind, must figure and work out all the gaps in which he can play at, must work quick in both defense and attack and must work at his kicking game. Number 7 works with number 6 in coming up with a tactic to score and bring it home for the boys. Number 7 is fast in agility, able to swerve and put on show any defender coming up towards him. Number 6 and 7 are dependent on one another during the game.

 

Number 6; playmaker and five-eighth Kim Jongin, Number 7; halfback Do Kyungsoo. Dependent on one another on the field but off the field, Jongin is a one man team. Fighting his battles alone.

 

In Jongin’s mind, he doesn’t need anyone. In his life People have come and gone, and now the only person who he has always depended on, counted on and needed, was slowly slipping away from him. And that made him build up a defensive wall, not letting anyone in and not letting himself out. Not allowing himself to show any weakness or hurt. In his mind, that was the only way he could protect himself.

 

-

 

“Umma”

 

Jongin whispers as he slowly walks inside, a bright smile on and sitting beside the bed, grabbing his mum’s hand and intertwining their fingers together.

 

Smiling weakly towards her son, she grasps his hand tighter “Jongin, baby, you should be home”

 

Jongin shakes his head “Ani, I should be here, with you. Besides, there’s nothing at home”

 

Jongin’s mum reaches up a hand to his cheek lovingly “I’m sorry, for failing you”

 

Fighting back his tears, Jongin shakes his head again “Don’t umma; you don’t need to be sorry for this. This isn’t in your control. I’m fine, I’ll be okay just, just heal, please heal”

 

His mum shakes her head “Jongin, we both know that it won’t be long until I’m not here anymore”

 

Jongin shuts his eyes tight

 

“Baby, be strong, for me, okay?”

 

Jongin stands up and moves in to hug his mum tight, in a gesture to show her that his here and not going anywhere. He just hopes that somehow, someway, his mum wont go anywhere either. Because he just doesn’t know what else he can do if his mum would leave. He doesn’t want to be alone.

 

-

 

After his mum persuaded him to go home, Jongin finds himself walking through the dark streets of Seoul. It’s eerily quiet but for Jongin, it’s peaceful and calming. He does not want to go home so goes to the one place where he finds comfort in, the footy field.

 

Arriving at the field Jongin is glad that the council has decided to leave the lights on. Taking off his back pack Jongin s it to take out the footy he took from the locker rooms. So Jongin kicks off his black leather shoes and changes into his footy boots. Glad he left his shorts on he just takes off his jacket and rolls his white school long sleeves up.

Kicking the ball, Jongin runs after it and runs some drills.

 

 

“Hey princess, give us a kick!”

 

Turning around, Jongin is surprised to see Kyungsoo grinning at him.

 

“Yo Cinderella, what are you doing here?”

 

Kicking the ball to Kyungsoo, Jongin watches as Kyungsoo catches it with ease.

 

“Decided to take a walk, my house is just up the road from here”

 

Jongin nods in understanding and catches the ball being kicked back at him. “What about you sunshine?”

 

Jongin shrugs “Went for a walk too”

 

“You’ve been walking since school finished?”

 

Jongin shrugs again and kicks the ball back to Kyungsoo

 

“Want to run some drills with me or does Cinderella have a curfew?”

 

Kyungsoo chuckles “What about you Princess? Or does Charming want you back early?”

 

Jongin laughs “, come on, lets play some ball halfback”

 

“Whatever you say playmaker”

 

Jongin found out that night, that he can still run around, free from all the pain and suffering, smile a bright smile. But that’s because of the one he was with. Do Kyungsoo. And yet, Jongin can’t figure out why. Why it is that whenever he is down in the dumps, Kyungsoo is still able to find a way to make him smile and laugh like everything is normal and okay.

 

--

 

After watching Jongin for a while, Kyungoso has come to an easy decision- an easy conclusion. However, the resolution, well, still needs some polishing.

 

The conclusion is this:

 

Kim Jongin is not okay.

 

--

 

“Hey hyung”

 

“Mmm?”

 

“Explain something to me”

 

Kyungsoo puts down the apple juice he was sipping to turn to the happy virus which is his close friend, Park Chanyeol

 

“What’s up Channie?”

 

“Kim Jongin is the playmaker, his good looking, popular and everyone basically admires the kid. Like how everyone admires you, our halfback correct?” Chanyeol eyes his hyung warily

 

Kyungsoo frowns “Yeah…so?”

 

“Then why is he always alone hyung?”

 

Kyungsoo follows Chanyeol’s line of sight and sees who his dongsaeng is watching.

 

Jongin is smiling and waving at the people calling out to him, however, he doesn’t stop, he just keeps walking. With his rugby boots thrown over his shoulder and rugby ball in hand, Jongin mouths something which looks like ‘practice’ to one of his mates JR and walks out of the cafeteria. Kyungsoo knows where his going.

 

“That’s a mystery Chanyeol” Kyungsoo whispers, standing up and gathering his stuff together

 

“And you’re going to figure out this mystery right?” Chanyeol says smiling gently

 

“Hey what’s going on?” Baekhyun calls, coming towards them and sitting beside Chanyeol.

 

“Oh nothing, hyung is just going to figure out this mystery” Chanyeol casually throws his arm around Baekhyun’s shoulder and grins like a happy child

 

Kyungsoo chuckles “That’s right. I’ll see you kids later”

 

Waving to his dongsaeng’s, Kyungsoo saunters out of the cafeteria.

 

 

 

 

“You know princess, you really got to stop running from your charming or else he’ll go insane”

 

Turning around, Jongin grins cheekily “What about you Cinderella? Isn’t your evil stepmother gonna chuck a fit?” Shrugging casually Kyungsoo winks back at the younger “Na, I’m too tank for those chores and ”

 

Jongin laughs and throws the ball to Kyungsoo

 

“Want to go over some plays again?”

 

Kyungsoo beams “Sure Jongin, sure”

 

--

 

Jongin has become used to this habit that’s just now become a routine for him. Every day, during break, he would venture out onto their school’s sport field and Kyungsoo would be there, every single day. They’d make snarky comments to each other before running a few plays. Chatting happily to one another, head locking each other, trying to tackle the other harder than they can tackle you and a few wrestling battles, the two would then walk back into their classes with their shirts clinging to their backs, sweat dripping from their forehead and grass all over their clothes. With a goofy grin, they’d showcase their football and the teacher would nod in understanding, because rugby is seen as their school’s most important asset. It’s what brings each of them together, no matter what the differences, together as a mob to support their team. It’s become like this every day, until it hit next week. And next week, Friday night, is the first game of the season.

 

 

 

Hand on his heart, Jongin breathes deeply. The adrenaline is pumping through his veins, his heart is hammering and his head is spinning.

Tonight, is the first game of the season, and the first game his mother can’t be there to watch.

 

Jongin shuts his eyes tightly. A warm hand is placed on his shoulder and Jongin looks up to the calming eyes of Do Kyungsoo. “Hey Princess”

 

Jongin chuckles “Why do you always do that?”

 

Cocking his head to the side Kyungsoo sits beside him “Do what?”

 

“Make me laugh and smile even thought I feel like absolute crap”

 

Kyungsoo laughs “I dunno a specialty of mine I guess? You can do this Jongin, I know you can and I’ll be right there behind you. Number 6 and 7 depend on each other right? So I got your back. You have mine too?”

 

Standing up and holding out a hand, Kyungsoo smiles softly to the younger one who immediately feels himself calm down

 

“I’ve got your back” Jongin says, accepting the hand

 

“Alright boys, it’s game time!” Their captain Choi Minho screams

 

Their coach comes in to their locker room and huddles everyone in

 

“Alright boys, we can do this. I’ve seen what you can do, what you’re capable of. Now go out there and show em what we got!”

 

Screaming, cheering and shouting, the boys put their hands in

 

Kyungsoo and Jongin lock eyes, and smile at one another

 

“Let’s tear this up” Kyungsoo screams

 

And out they go onto that field

 

 

 

 

There’s a minute left on the clock

 

They are down by a try

 

Stepping the opposite player, Minho quickly offloads the ball to Jongin. Quickly eying the gap, Jongin shoots through. Desperately dodging the player and fending him off, Jongin steps to the side and runs straight. Eying the two defenders coming towards him from both opposite ends and the other one far off to the left, Jongin sees no way out. Until he hears that voice.

 

“JONGIN!”

 

Looking to the side in a quick motion, he sees Kyungsoo out on his left. Beside Jongin on his left is Minhyun. Now Jongin can see a way out.

 

The two defenders are quickly coming towards him; however, another defender to his far left is in a predicament. They don’t know who to tackle or keep an eye on. Its either Jongin or Minhyun. Smiling, Jongin runs straight, successfully swerving one defender. Now there’s two left. Stepping the one on his right, Jongin is hopeful now. The last on his left is unsure as he quickly approaches both Jongin and Minhyun. So Jongin thinks quickly. Showing Minhyun a dummy, the defender runs in to Minhyun and Jongin prays that this long pass will work as he sees the opposite team’s fullback approach him

 

“KYUNGSOO!”

 

Jongin lets the ball go as the defender collides with him

 

Kyungsoo jumps up, catches the ball and runs as fast as he can

 

10

 

“GO KYUNGSOO!” the coach screams

 

9

 

8

 

7

 

The crowd is roaring as Kyungsoo steps another defender who trips from behind him

 

6

 

5

 

4

 

Jongin looks up from the floor and grins

 

3

 

2

 

1

 

BEEEEEP!

 

Scoring their last try, Kyungsoo jumps up, shouting with glee. Jongin quickly leaps up and runs in to join in on the victory huddle. Kyungsoo finds Jongin finally

 

“What did I tell you Jongin, I always got your back” Kyungsoo states

Jongin smiles wide as he engulfs the shorter male into a tight embrace “And I got yours Kyungsoo”

 

--

 

 

The weeks were all the same for Jongin. Rugby, rugby, rugby and rugby. Then in between all those, work, work and work. And of course there was school, school and school. Everything was all the same.

 

But now, it’s different

 

Now in between those

 

There’s Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo

 

However,

 

Jongin is still afraid to open up. Too afraid to let down his defensive walls which he has built up since he was a kid.

 

Can Kyungsoo break his wall?

 

--

 

“Hey! Princess, mind helping me find out where this book is?”

 

Jongin turns around surprised

 

“K-Kyungsoo?!”

 

Kyungsoo laughs mischievously “Who knew our playmaker worked part-time at a library?”

 

Jongin groans “What’s so bad about a library? Too smart for you?”

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes “No flop, I’m too smart for it”

 

Jongin shakes his head and finishes stacking his book

 

“What book are you looking for douche?’

 

“That history book Mr Wu wanted us to look at”

 

“You mean you still haven’t looked at it?”

 

“What can I say, don’t really have a thing for reading”

 

Jongin scoffs, “I got mine in my bag at the back. Hold on, I’ll go grab it”

 

Kyungsoo smiles gratefully

“So, what are you doing after work?”

 

Jongin shrugs “Dunno”

 

“Wanna hang out after?”

 

Jongin looks at Kyungsoo “Footy? We had a 4 hour training sesh last night”

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head laughing “Hell no. Like, grab a feed or catch a movie or something”

 

Arching an eyebrow Jongin chuckles “What about that book?”

 

“Tch, I’ll read the given pages later. What do you say?”

 

Thinking about it for a moment, Jongin doesn’t see the bad in going out with a mate “Sure, sounds good”.

 

--

 

Jongin is now caught in a predicament. His unsure of how he got into this situation. Into this mess of feelings.

 

Sighing Jongin lies back on the grass, staring at the football in his hands

 

Ever since he entered high school, he knew of Do Kyungsoo. They were in the same class since the beginning, although, Kyungsoo is older than Jongin by 2 days- weird huh? He knew of Do Kyungsoo yet, didn’t know him, however, he didn’t feel the need too. The only words they ever said to each other was ‘thank you’ whenever one of them handed out sheets in class or a polite ‘hello’ in the hallways whenever they passed one another. Then came the second year of high school where both Kyungsoo and Jongin tried out for the football team, and they passed with flying colors. Kyungsoo was quick and agile whereas Jongin was smart in his tactics and skilled with the ball, knowing just when to kick it at the right time and when to pass the ball in the last minute for a successful offload.

 

So Jongin became playmaker, number 6 and halfback Do Kyungsoo at number 7. The two knew from the start that they have to get to know one another on the field; they must know each other’s plays at the back of their hand. If Jongin comes up with something fancy and decided to do a no look pass or a quick flick in the very last minute, Kyungsoo should be able to read it and be there when it goes down. If Kyungsoo makes a break and is flying down the field, Jongin should straight away be his support.

 

In those years of playing together, Jongin and Kyungsoo was able to know each other on the field, they were able to read each other’s plays and they became good mates, always backing each other on the field.

 

However, off the field, Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin remained strangers.

 

All those years of knowing one another, their relationship remained strictly on field. And off field, their relationship, well, was barely a relationship. They were on good terms with one another and remained polite to the other. However, they were never close.

Relationship remaining strictly on field.

 

Now, Jongin just doesn’t understand what is going on.

 

After all those years, they never even tried to know the other. Now, Kyungsoo is spending so much time with Jongin, in school and out of school, even off the football field. And Jongin just doesn’t understand. Why, after all those years, why now? Why is Kyungsoo trying so hard? For him?

 

“You don’t even know me” Jongin whispers

 

“Who doesn’t even know you?”

 

Jongin quickly sits up

 

And nevertheless, Kyungsoo is standing in front of him.

 

Jongin blinks nervously “N-no one I was just, thinking aloud”

 

Kyungsoo sits beside Jongin

 

“Our semi-finals are coming up soon” Kyungsoo says after a moment of comfortable silence. “Yeah, I know” Jongin responds fiddling with the footy in his hands. “You know, the past few months, we’ve been spending more time with each other” Kyungsoo says. Jongin chuckles “As if I haven’t already realized that Kyung”

 

Kyungsoo smiles “And yet” turning to the side he makes eye contact with Jongin, and locks it. Jongin can feel his face heat up under the scrutiny stare of Kyungsoo “I still don’t know you Kim Jongin”

 

Jongin quickly breaks the eye contact “why would you need too? After this year we’ll be going our separate ways, and it’s not like you’d remember me” the words hurt, and saying them aloud cuts like a knife through Jongin’s heart. A siren is going off in his head. He knows what his feeling and he needs to break it as soon as possible before it’s too late.

 

“What makes you think that?’ Kyungsoo whispers confused

 

Jongin scoffs, “Ties are made, but they are broken easily. After our time together is done, we’ll be leaving school and I-“ Jongin can feel himself breaking so scrambles frantically to get up “And I will never see you again. Because that’s life. People come and go. And I-I’m just one of those people in your life that you don’t need” Picking up his footy Jongin turns around to leave

 

“Wait Jongin-“

 

Kyungsoo stands up. Jongin doesn’t turn around.

 

“Don’t worry Kyungsoo; I’ll have your back on that field, like always. But like before, our relationship remains strictly on that field. As number 6 and number 7”

 

Jongin fights the urge to turn back around, fights the desire for wanting to see Kyungsoo’s wide bright smile which somehow always brings a bit of light to Jongin’s life. And walks away.

 

--

 

“Great training session today boys, we have never been more ready for a game than never before. Our semi’s is tomorrow so make sure you get a lot of rest.” “Yes coach!” the team says in unison. The coach smiles and turns around to pick up his duffel bag as the boys head back to the shed. He spots one person still on the field, stretching.

 

“Jongin, haven’t you had enough? You were great today, as usual” the coach says smiling. Jongin smiles back gratefully “No, I’d like to practice for a least another hour”. Himchan nods in understanding “I know what’s going on. The principle called me in. listen-“

 

Jongin straightens up “I don’t need anything; I don’t need an apology or pity. I’m fine. I know reality; I’m strong enough to face it. Now out there-“Jongin gestures to the wide open field “Out there is my therapy. Football helps, you help and so does the team. Doing something I love, something which resembles my father’s spirit and my mother’s heart and passion for always supporting me, helps me get through this. I’m okay coach”

 

Himchan’s known Jongin all these years. He knows how strong he is. So nods. “But, if you ever need anything, I’ll be here. I’ll let you get on with it” Jongin bows to his coach and watches as he walks off the field.

 

“Yo number 6”

 

Jongin’s heart flips

 

“Kyungsoo”

 

Kyungsoo drops his bag to the side

 

“Mind running some plays? I want to be sure of it so when it comes to tomorrow night, I’m game” Kyungsoo smiles and Jongin curses life all together.

 

“Sure”

 

Ever since that talk at the park, Jongin and Kyungsoo haven’t been meeting up inside of school or outside of school. Their lunch time breaks are now spent separately again, Kyungsoo with Baekhyun and Chanyeol and Jongin being alone on the field as usual or napping in the library. Their relationship has again, become strictly on field. So when Kyungsoo comes and asks Jongin for another run through, Jongin can’t say no.

 

Because number 6 and number 7 are dependent on one another.

 

--

 

It’s the night of the semifinals.

 

The crowd is roaring.

 

And at the back, the boys’ hearts are pumping.

 

The coach is giving their team one last pep talk.

 

But all Jongin can hear is his own heartbeat. His never been so unsure of himself in his life. In all his games, his mother’s been by his side. Now, she can’t be and she isn’t. But he can always feel her in his heart and he knows she’s thinking of him and waiting for the news back at the hospital.

 

Jongin feels a strong arm being slipped around his waist and his heart just hammers.

 

He can sense that it’s Kyungsoo and his thankful for him always being there.

 

But he must stick to reality.

 

Ties are made, and ties are broken.

 

No, no time to think about all this . Clear your head Jongin. Clear your head.

 

“Alright, now I believe in you boys and you boys need to believe in yourselves. Have each other’s backs on that field. We can do this now bring it home for us and we’ll be into the grand final which is in two weeks! All those years, we’ve always come short, now it’s our time and I haven’t seen you boys so ready than you are now. It’s our time! Now let’s go rip it up!” Himchan screams

 

The boys all cheer and Kyungsoo’s arm tightens around Jongin’s waist

 

“I’ve got your back, we all do. When you turn around, I’ll be there” Kyungsoo whispers hotly into his ear, making Jongin shiver inwardly. Kyungsoo breaks away from Jongin to smile that same smile which always puts Jongin at ease

 

“Let’s rip it up” Kyungsoo says holding his fist out

 

Jongin calms down and grins back, locking his fist in with Kyungsoo’s

 

“Let’s do it”

 

--

 

It’s a successful win. Their team won by 12 points. Jongin is glad that it is a Saturday now because his had a hell of a week. Amongst all that training, and then all the exams, finally with his mother, it’s all been draining on him.

 

And then there’s Kyungsoo.

 

Jongin can feel himself becoming dependent on kyungsoo. Not just on field, but off. And it scares him. His defensive walls are slowly crumbling, however, his trying so hard to keep it up.

 

Ties are made and ties are broken.

 

That’s become a mantra for him.

 

His become so used to Kyungsoo’s company that his feeling even more lonely. Ever since declaring that their relationship is remaining strictly on field, Jongin is lonely. Hell, he misses Do Kyungsoo.

 

 The school years coming to an end, the grand final looming and final exams approaching. The weight of it is becoming too much.

 

But, Jongin is hanging in there. With his therapy being his footy, he releases everything he has onto that field. All the pain, anger, confusion, hurt, stress, is released onto that field.

 

However, the problem of what to do about Do Kyungsoo is still there.

 

--

 

“Eomoni”

 

Jongin has never seen his mother so weak before in his life. And his heart tears.  

 

“Jongin-ah, come here, let your mother have a good look at you” she whispers brokenly

 

Jongin stays brave and walks towards his mother, reaching for her hand and holding it tightly, showing her that his there. His mother smiles so beautifully. “My gorgeous son” she whispers “You know I haven’t got long now”

 

Jongin shakes his head “Stop umma. Yes I know, but, can we please focus on the here and now? I just, want to be here and now”

 

His mother smiles “Now baby, what do you have planned for today? It’s a Saturday, going to see a friend or anything?” Jongin chuckles “All I need is you umma so I’m fine” his mother frowns “Jongin-“

 

“Umma” he says in a warning tone

 

She giggles softly “Yes yes, you’re a grown boy and can look after yourself I understand”

 

Jongin sits down on her bed beside his mother

 

“Are you excited for your grand final?” she questions

 

Jongin’s smile widens “Yes, I can’t wait. I’m nervous though but yes, excited”

 

She squeezes his hand in reassurance “I’m so proud of you, I know you will pull through, like you always do. I’ll be there, watching you” she reaches up and places her free hand on the spot on his chest where his heart is “I’ll always be here”

 

Jongin nods and squeezes her hand back “I know. I know you will be”

 

“Mrs Kim-“

 

Jongin turns around and his eyes widen in surprise

 

“Ah Kyungsoo-ah your working today?”

 

Kyungsoo locks eyes with Jongin

 

“Jongin”

 

“K-Kyungsoo”

 

Jongin’s heart is now running a flipping marathon

 

Jongin’s mother looks from Jongin, to Kyungsoo, to Kyungsoo to Jongin

 

“Jongin, is your son, Mrs Kim?” Jongin’s hand tightens around his mothers who nods “Yes, his the one I’ve been talking about. You know each other?”

 

Kyungsoo smiles gently “Yes we go to the same school and I also play on the team with him”

 

She blinks and giggles “Omo, aigoo how did I not remember? Silly me, yes your Do Kyungsoo”

 

Jongin is quiet

 

He has no idea what to say

 

“I’m just leaving now and I wanted to say bye” Kyungsoo says bowing

 

“Ahh thank you Kyungsoo. Oh wait, Jongin, why don’t you leave with Kyungsoo?”

 

Jongin looks at his mother who only smiles gracefully towards him. Jongin nods slowly “Arasso, but I’ll be back-“

 

“Tomorrow morning. Do something today. Go out, have fun, live. I’ll be here” Jongin doesn’t want to but complies.

 

Leaning in he leaves a lingering kiss on his mother’s forehead “I love you” he says

 

“And I love you” she squeezes his hand just before he lets go

 

“Kyungsoo-ah, you’ll look after Jongin right”

 

Kyungsoo grins “Of course I will. I’ll see you Mrs Kim”

 

And with that, the two leave the hospital.

 

And Jongin breaks off into a run.

 

“W-wait! JONGIN!” quickly gathering himself, Kyungsoo runs as fast as he can after Jongin.

 

--

 

“Will you just wait?” Grabbing his arm and turning him around, they finally come to a stop. A stop at their park.

 

“What is with you-“Kyungsoo begins to say

 

“What do you want from me?!” Jongin harshly cuts off

 

Kyungsoo blinks, but doesn’t let go of Jongin’s arm, only tightening his hold on Jongin’s arm.

 

“I’ve got nothing left to give!” Jongin screams

 

Kyungsoo blinks again

 

“I don’t want flipping anything from you Jongin! All I want is for you to stop tackling things alone! You aren’t ing superman! Let someone help you, let me help you-“

 

“You know what; you want to know more about me? FINE!” pulling his arm free from Kyungsoo’s grip, Jongin takes a step back

 

“When I was young my father past away, his car was smashed by a drunk driver. Ever since then it’s always been me and my mum. Our family is scattered around China, Japan, the US, but none here. I moved here when I was 6, a clean slate. I left my friends and family behind in the US. But I met new ones here. However, they too left. My mum is the only one I’ve been dependent on. People have come and gone in my life and my mum was the only one left for me and now I-

 

Jongin cuts off as tears begin rolling down his face

 

“I put up a defensive wall to protect myself from being hurt. After witnessing my dad’s passing, my grandfather whom was like a father to me also passed. Leaving the ones I love behind with my mother I made new friends who also left me. Then my gran passed and my uncle who I saw as an older brother passed. And I just- I needed to protect myself from being hurt. That’s why I’m always alone because being alone is what I’ve always needed, Because now my mother who’s been fighting cancer for 4 years is now leaving me, the one person I’ve been dependent on is leaving me and I can’t. I can’t.”

 

Taking a breath a broken sob leaves his lips

 

“I can’t ing do it anymore. I’m kidding myself I can’t be alone because the loneliness is eating me up inside out and then you bloody come along so congrats my defensive wall is crumbling but I need it to stay up and I’m so confused and-“

 

“JONGIN! SHUT UP!” Kyungsoo screams successfully stopping Jongin who takes a long deep breath, however, the sobs are still escaping. He hasn’t noticed until now that Kyungsoo is also crying.

 

Sniffling Kyungsoo shakes his head

 

“You idiot. You big fat idiot. Just come here” pulling Jongin’s arm he wraps the younger one up in a warm, comforting hug. Jongin allows himself to cry out loud for the first time in ages in Kyungsoo’s arms. “You aren’t alone idiot. I’m here. And I am not going anywhere. I’m right here Jongin”

 

Jongin sniffles and only cries harder.

 

--

 

Sitting together on the grass, the two are in a comfortable silence.

 

“Why now?” Jongin whispers after a bit

 

Kyungsoo looks up “Hmm?”

 

“Why now? I mean, after all these years that we’ve known each other, why did you only start reaching out to me now?” Jongin enquires, turning to look at Kyungsoo with curiosity and a mix of confusion clear in his deep brown eyes

 

“Want to know what my new year’s resolution was?” Kyungsoo says

 

Jongin frowns “What does this have too-

 

“It was to get to know you. Jongin, all these years I’ve wanted to reach out to you, but you always seemed so distant, so far away. So I decided to it up and reach you. I didn’t care how long it’d take, hell if I had to follow you to university I would”

 

Jongin laughs “Why though? Why me?”

 

“Idiot, you still haven’t realized it huh?”

 

Jongin looks back at Kyungsoo confused “Realized what?”

 

Kyungsoo laughs under his breath “Well, if you can’t realize it by the end of this year, then I’ll tell you”

 

“What? That’s so stupid you got me all curious for no reason!” Jongin whines

 

“Well, figure it out then”

 

Jongin rolls his eyes “Game on Cinderella”

 

Kyungsoo scoffs “You’re on Princess”

 

--

 

Jongin’s walls have crumbled all thanks to Do Kyungsoo. Jongin is now interacting a lot more with other people and his starting to become good friends with Baekhyun and Chanyeol who Jongin swears have a thing for each other but whatever, it’s not his business.

 

It’s a week before the grand finale, and Jongin is notified that his mother won’t make it through the night.

--

 

“Umma”

 

“Don’t cry Jongin. I want to see my baby’s smile. Promise me something, that you won’t be alone. Open yourself up Jongin, you’re a ray of sunshine that can brighten anyone’s day” caressing her son’s face “You’ve always brightened up my day”

 

Jongin takes a sharp intake of breath and nods “I will look after myself umma. I promise”

 

She smiles “and Kyungsoo. I know that look in your eyes Jongin”

 

Jongin chuckles “Well, it’s a mother’s intuition as always”

 

She shows a weak smile. Her breathing is turning slower and the machine’s indicating that her heart rate is also slowing. “Baby, I’m going to meet your father soon” Jongin fights the tears hard and keeps on his smile for his mother “We’ll both be watching over you. And we’ll always be here for you. Always Jongin”

 

Jongin gulps and tightens his hand around his mother’s “Eomoni, I love you, so much. I love you so much eomoni”

 

“And I love you. So much my baby boy, Kim Jongin. I love you”

 

Her eyes flutter, and slowly, her eyes close. Jongin hears her take her last breath. And hears the long beeping sound of the machine, indicating that her heart has stopped beating.

 

Jongin’s heart is pumping and he lets the tears roll down relentlessly as he bows his head and kisses his mum’s hand

 

“I love you so much. So much”

 

And he cries, and cries.

 

--

 

As he walks out of the hospital, he runs right into a familiar body.

 

“Jongin! I just got the news, Doctor Huang called me and-“

 

His words are cut off as Jongin hugs the older male tightly

 

“Jongin, I’m so sorry” Kyungsoo whispers hugging him back just as tight

 

Jongin breaths out slowly “It’s okay”

 

Kyungsoo pulls back to look at Jongin “Want me to stay the night? It’s Saturday tomorrow so” Jongin nods gratefully “Please”

 

--

Kyungsoo watches as Jongin lays out a mattress on the floor “I can make my own bed you know” Kyungsoo says smiling softly as he surveys Jongin’s bedroom. He comes to a stop at a picture of a young Jongin beside his parents and Kyungsoo eyes it affectionately

 

“Huh? I’m making my own bed” Jongin says surprised

 

Kyungsoo looks at the younger one “You mean, you’re sleeping on the floor?”

 

“Yeah and you’re sleeping on my bed”

 

Kyungsoo looks mortified “Woah, no way! That’s your bed, I’m taking the floor”

 

Jongin looks twice as mortified “What? No way, you’re the guest, you’re taking my bed”

 

“Oh my goodness why don’t we both just sleep on your bed then!”

 

Kyungsoo realizes too late what his just said

 

Cue the pumping heart beats and cheeks flushing with heat

 

Kyungsoo takes a step back “A-ah, I’ll just, sleep on the floor-“

 

“Let’s both sleep on the bed. Argument over” Jongin says sternly. Kyungsoo blinks as Jongin walks towards him, moving around him to turn off the light in his room, the only light coming from the moonlight shining in and illuminating the room from outside, with the trees shadows dancing in Jongin’s room.

 

“Come on then” Jongin whispers closely from beside Kyungsoo

 

Kyungsoo watches blankly as Jongin’s figure moves towards his bed, sliding in. Kyungsoo gulps well aren’t I smart? Kyungsoo slowly and unsurely, makes his way towards Jongin’s bed and idly shuffles in, immediately turning around with his back to Jongin and facing Jongin’s cupboard. He hears the bed shift and Jongin’s chuckle from behind him

 

“So shy now Cinderella, you suggested this you know” he says smugly

 

Kyungsoo sulks in the dark “It just came out” he mumbles

 

Jongin stares at Kyungsoo’s back

 

Again he hears Jongin shuffling and nearly falls off the bed as Jongin wraps both his arms around Kyungsoo’s waist, pulling him towards his chest. “Is this okay?” he hears Jongin whisper huskily. Being in Jongin’s bed, in Jongin’s house, in Jongin’s clothes and in Jongin’s arms, is making Kyungsoo delusional. Kyungsoo gulps “its fine. Let’s get some sleep. It’s been rough today”

 

Jongin nods “Y-you think you, the team and coach could come to my mum’s funeral? Aunty Jieun and uncle Shinhyuk have already organized things together, their flying in tomorrow and its held on the following day. Umma wanted her funeral to be as quick as possible and didn’t want a fuss. She also didn’t want anything big but I-I want you guys to be there” there’s a silence in the air as Jongin tightens his arms around Kyungsoo “Especially you”

Kyungsoo nods “Of course. We’ll all be there. Now let’s rest okay?”

 

“Kyungsoo”

 

“Yeah”

 

“I can still play next week. I know I can.”

 

“Of course you can”

 

“Kyungsoo”

 

“Yeah”

 

“Thank you”

 

Kyungsoo can feel his heart tighten “Good night Jongin”

 

“Good night”

 

 

-

 

It’s the grand finale. And Jongin is pretty sure he is just about to faint. They’re lucky they were able to get it as their home game, with the opposing team coming to their field. That’s just one lucky advantage. The stadium is full. And Jongin is pretty sure his going to vomit his breakfast out soon.

 

Kyungsoo’s been at Jongin’s place practically every day, now; they’re practically joined at the hip.

 

Jongin is psyching himself up when Kyungsoo plops down next to him

 

“Excited?”

 

“Yeah”

 

“Nervous?”

 

“Yeah”

 

“We’re gonna rip up though”

 

Jongin laughs despite the nerves “Hell yeah were gonna rip up”

 

“I got your back” Kyungsoo reinforces

 

“And I’ve got yours”

 

“Alright lads come on in” Himchan calls the team together

 

“Now I, I really honestly don’t know what to say but that I’m proud of you all. Every single one of yous. We’ve put in the hard yards and were here now. Now let’s go out there and prove to every single one of the people out there and the bastards that looked down on us that we are capable of bringing home the trophy and that we can kick is that clear?!”

 

The boys roar

 

“Now let’s go out there and tear up!” Himchan yells

 

Before they run out, Jongin pulls out his mother’s necklace from his pocket and kisses it. “This one’s for you mum”

 

--

 

It’s one hell of a game

 

Their scores are tied and the clock is running

 

And the ball is with Kyungsoo

 

He lets out a big breath and eyes the gap in between the two opposition players. He goes for it and just by an inch, manages to avoid the two players. But before he runs through, he eyes Jongin and they understand the look. Play X.

 

Jongin just runs straight.

 

The defenders don’t pay attention to him and so watch Kyungsoo who is zipping through. In between Kyungsoo and Jongin is Eunhyuk. He understands the direction in which Kyungsoo is running. Kyungsoo runs right to where he is and he runs towards Kyungsoo. The defenders come in.

 

Kyungsoo shows the ball and dummy’s it as Eunhyuk runs right behind him, like an X. and the two defenders tackle Eunhyuk. Quickly seeing it as the right time, Kyungsoo offloads a long ball to Jongin.

 

Catching the ball, Jongin runs for his life.

 

A defender is quickly coming up from his right

 

Jongin sees the line

 

As he reaches it, the defender collides into him.

 

3

 

2

 

1

The blow of the whistle

 

Everyone stares at the touch judge. The ball is placed just on the line. He waves the white flag and blows his whistle.

 

The crowd roars

 

And the boys bring home the title

 

--

 

 

 

Its graduation day

 

The year’s finally coming to a close

 

Yet, Jongin is hiding out on the football field

 

I’ve never let anyone in. I’ve always shutted people out. Then all of a sudden Kyungsoo comes and it crumbles. How am I supposed to figure out why his always wanted to get to know me? Ahh this graduation gown is really ticking me off now-

 

“Thought I’d find you here” Jongin looks up from fiddling with his gown to see Kyungsoo standing there. With the sunlight’s rays shining down on him, Kyungsoo resembles an angel.

 

“Hey you” Jongin says in a low tone

 

Kyungsoo smiles and shuffles over to stand in front of Jongin. Now Jongin notices that Kyungsoo’s hiding something behind him.

 

“What are you hiding?” Jongin asks cocking his head to the side to see what it is. “Hey!” Kyungsoo pushes him back playfully. Jongin laughs. “Look we need to get back in but- here”

 

Kyungsoo holds out a blank envelope. Jongin reaches out for it. Kyungsoo yanks it back. Jongin frowns confused.

 

“You have to promise me that you won’t open it yet. Open it after graduation, alone and then- and then meet me at our park. Okay?” Kyungsoo slowly holds it out again. Jongin nods “I promise, and I’ll keep my word” reaching out for the envelope, he lightly takes it out of Kyungsoo’s hand and slips it into his graduation gown pocket.

 

“You know you’re about to find out the answer pretty early” Kyungsoo says as he turns around and begins walking back to the school hall

 

Jongin stands back confused before quickly running to catch up to the elder “Answer to what?”

 

Kyungsoo laughs mysteriously “You’ll figure it out for yourself. Now let’s go graduate”

 

Finally graduating, Jongin met Kyungsoo’s parents and little brother Jongdae for the first time. It’s like they all have a hidden or inside joke or secret because they all were looking at Jongin knowingly and it freaked him out like no tomorrow

 

Now they’re walking home, well, Kyungsoo is walking Jongin to his place.

 

It’s a comfortable silence

 

“What a year hey” Kyungsoo says after a moment

 

Jongin hums in agreement

 

“We won the grand finale, we graduated, and we got to know each other”

 

Jongin smiles

 

Kyungsoo’s favorite color is red. He loves to cook, preferably bake. Besides playing footy he loves to sing. He has a young brother who is 10 and looks up to him like a role model. When he was 7 he broke his arm playing his first footy game but that just made him want to play rugby some more because it was exhilarating. His father trained him and his mother taught him how to cook and ways to clean to make things easier when both his parents are at work and it’s just him and Jongdae. His dad is also a rugby coach, but for young kids and his mother works as a nurse. Kyungsoo is really smart, intuitive and imaginative. When his in concentration he frowns and nibbles on his lip anxiously. When his happy his eyes light up so he smiles with his eyes. He has a big heart and his laughter is contagious. After getting to know Kyungsoo, you just want to hold onto him and never let go.

 

“So, we’re here”

 

Standing at Jongin’s door step, Kyungsoo’s smile turns happy happy to anxious.

 

“Remember, to meet me back at the park okay? Umm, I’ll be there at 7 and I’ll wait till 10. If you don’t come then its okay I understand”

 

Jongin nods slowly, not understanding why he wouldn’t go but hey it must be in that envelope

 

“Okay. Well then I’ll see you later?” Jongin says smiling

 

Kyungsoo smiles back “Yeah. Okay”

 

He watches as Kyungsoo walks off, but not before turning back around to wave at Jongin one last time and smile.

 

Jongin waves back happily

 

He enters his home just in time as the phone rings

 

“Yes? Ah ne Ms Jung what’s wrong?”

 

Jongin sits down and listens

 

“You want me to come in today? Um”

 

Looking at the clock it’s only 2:45. He still has time before 7 and of course 10 so he doesn’t see the harm in going in to work today.

 

“Sure I’ll be there. Okay, yes, goodbye”

 

Hanging up the phone Jongin rushes to get ready, pulling on a pair of navy skinny jeans and a plain black top. Grabbing his ID card and name tag as well as his back pack, he quickly slips in the envelope to his jean pocket and makes his way out.

 

Must read it before 7 and ultimately 10.

 

--

 

The clock strikes 9. Jongin is tired out of his brains. The library was packed and the amount of errands, book stacking, checking out books, wheeling around books, customer service and la la la was ridiculous.

 

“Jongin I know you’re really tired but if you could please close up? I have to pick up my baby boy from my sister’s as my husband’s still working” Mrs Jung says sorrowfully

 

Jongin looks up with tired eyes but smiles nonetheless “Sure, its fine. Kiss little baby Seunghyun for me and say hi to Doojoon for me too” Mrs Jung smiles gratefully, a 26 year old librarian, she’s like Jongin’s noona and he cares for her a lot. Never having an older sister, he was blessed with one in Jieun Jung.

 

“Thank you Jonginnie! I will see you tomorrow” hugging Jongin, she grabs her things together and smiles before she disappears

 

Jongin looks around the quiet library and sits down, sighing.

 

Wow, what a day

 

He gets up and makes a last minute check-up on everything, making sure everything is in order for tomorrow. Humming to himself, Jongin gets back to work.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Finally putting away the last check-in book, an envelope falls out of Jongin’s pocket. Staring blankly at it for a while, Jongin finally remembers. Amongst all the chaos in the library, Jongin forgot about the envelope handed to him by Kyungsoo.

 

Retrieving the envelope and sitting down on the floor, Jongin opens it to take out a letter, in Kyungsoo’s neat handwriting, addressed to him---

 

 

 

To Jongin,

I know we don’t know each other besides the fact that we go to the same school, are in the same class and are in the same footy team. I know you as number 6 and you know me as number 7. I know this is probably weird seeing as were still in our junior year and we don’t know anything about each other but I, I really like you. I really, really like you Kim Jongin. I don’t know how and I don’t know what, and I also don’t know why I’m feeling this way. Your quiet, we hardly talk besides when we need too and that’s during footy. But when I hear your deep velvety voice, it makes me nervous, I shiver and my heart beat increases tenfold. I don’t even know if I’ll have the confidence to give this to you because I’m a coward. But I just can’t stop thinking about you. And the fact that you’re always alone. It hurts me to see you alone. To see you smiling, yet, not really smiling. Your polite to everyone, acknowledge everyone, yet, you have this kind of defensive wall that keeps everyone out. I want in. I want in to your heart Jongin. You’re probably going to see me as a creep and stay away from me and I don’t blame you. I can’t handle what I’m feeling. You’re something special Kim Jongin. I don’t know what it is, but you’re special. One of a kind. I want to get to know you Kim Jongin. So…this is my confession letter. Be mine?

 

Do Kyungsoo

 

 

 

 

Hey Jongin, it’s me, Kyungsoo

I still can’t believe that tomorrow’s our graduation. I can’t believe how much we’ve grown (especially you in height!) and I’m still buzzing over our grand final win!

 

So wow, a lot has changed, even my hand writing, it’s gone bigger!

But what haven’t changed are my feelings for you. Yes I know, I’m a coward, I wasn’t able to give you this. Not even just slip it in your locker. I was afraid. Afraid that you’d never look at me again, afraid you’d just pull away from me more and afraid that I’d never be given the chance to get to know you.

 

And I was given that chance. To know you, the Kim Jongin that loves dancing as well as footy, hates the colour yellow because it reminds you of bees and the pain you had as a kid when one stung you but loves the color light blue because it’s the color of the sky. You have no idea how to cook anything and I learnt my lesson by watching my beautiful kitchen nearly burn down, yet, the hug that you gave me while apologizing profusely while showing me your little puppy dog eyes completely melted me and I didn’t give a damn about the kitchen. You love action movies and completely admire Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, your favorite movie is IP man and there’s this little bear by your bedside that you always have to have by you when you sleep because it was given to you by an important person, your father.

 

You opened up your heart to me and you don’t understand how happy that makes me. All those years of longing, I was finally able to live in reality instead of dreams and come face to face with you. You’ve even let in my family!

 

Jongin you make me so happy and I only hope that I can do the same to you. I can’t read your mind, but, I really need an answer for this.

 

Jongin I no longer like you, neither do I have a crush on you.

 

I’ve fallen in love with you and I’ve fallen hard. When I said my feelings haven’t changed, they’ve only deepened.

 

I Do Kyungsoo am madly in love with you Kim Jongin

 

If you don’t come to me, I understand, I’ll take it as a no and I’ll let you go because if I can’t make you happy so be it. I just hope that you’ll find the right one for you, someone that can make you happy like you make me. I won’t be mad at you, neither will I hate you, but I will let you go.

 

So Kim Jongin, I will be waiting, but of course you have a time limit.

 

Let me know your answer

 

Do Kyungsoo

 

 

 

 

Jongin’s heart is running a marathon

 

His hands are sweating

 

His stomach has butterflies swarming around

 

His chest is heaving and he practically just can’t breathe

 

His had feelings for me…all these years, and I haven’t noticed! I-I can’t believe that- Do Kyungsoo likes me. No, loves me. He freaking loves me!

 

Scrambling to get to his feet, Jongin folds up the letter and messily shoves it into his pants pocket. Skimming the shelves he quickly runs to the front desk and gathers his back pack together, slinging it onto his back. Making a dash, he yanks the library’s keys out of the first desk drawer and takes one last look at the clock-

 

And his heart plummets

 

! 9:54!

 

In a mad rush, Jongin flings himself out the door, shutting it and locking it behind him then shoves the keys into his safe pocket, he makes a mad run towards the park

 

, , , please still be there! Kyungsoo don’t let go yet!

 

--

 

One last look at the clock

 

And his heart plummets

 

Playing with his watch, Kyungsoo looks up and around the empty field. The memories of him and Jongin.

 

9:58

 

He can already feel the tears welling up in his eyes.  His heart is slowly ripping and tearing into shreds.

 

Slowly taking a deep breath, he looks at his watch again

 

10.00

 

His not coming. His not.

 

Taking in a final shaky breath, he lets the tears fall as he shakes and crumbles.

 

I told him I’d give up. So now…I guess I have too. No matte how hard it is I have too. For his sake. There goes everything we have

 

Had

 

Taking one last look at the park, he turns to leave

 

“KYUNGSOO!”

 

Kyungsoo looks up and the word shock is an understatement. Through his overflowing tears he can see Jongin running up to him.

 

Jongin drops his bag onto the grass and his huffing and puffing like he ran a marathon, quite like Kyungsoo’s own heart.

 

“You-“

 

Pausing Jongin takes the letter out of his pocket and opens it up to show it to him. Kyungsoo’s breath hitches and his stomach churns. “Is this true? All of it? I’m not hallucinating right? It’s true?”

 

Unsteadily, Kyungsoo nods

 

“I-I should go”

 

“No woah don’t” reaching out for Kyungsoo, Jongin’s heart stops as Kyungsoo flinches away. “You haven’t let me say what I want to say. Please stop crying”

 

Kyungsoo nods but can’t help it as the tears just keep running

 

Jongin sighs

 

“I’m not good at this. But I’m just going to take it and run with it”

 

Making eye contact with Kyungsoo, he continues

 

“I never let anyone inside these walls. Yet, I let you into my heart. I could’ve easily just pushed you away, but I couldn’t. I had this yearning for you and I couldn’t get rid of it. Holding you in my arms, I’ve never felt more at home”

 

Kyungsoo just continues to cry and Jongin can feel his own tears coming along

 

“Do Kyungsoo, I’ve always noticed you. Your smile, your laughter, your voice, and I was lucky enough to work with you on that field or else I never would’ve had the courage to talk to you like I can when we’re playing together and training together. I kept it strictly rugby because I was afraid of letting people in and then having to let them go. I’ve let you in. and I don’t want to let you go”

 

Slowly and carefully, Jongin takes small steps towards the quivering Kyungsoo

 

Kyungsoo finally notices that Jongin did practically run a marathon. His glistening with sweat and his dark brown fringe is sticking to his forehead. Jongin’s also crying. So Kyungsoo cries some more.

 

“Kyungsoo”

 

Finally closing the gap, he places his palm on the side of Kyungsoo’s face and lightly, like a feather, brushes and wills the tears away

 

“You’re so beautiful. And I’m so lucky” running his hand down to cup Kyungsoo’s chin. Staring into his eyes, Jongin finds that his home, sees truth in Kyungsoo and finds nothing but love, affection and care. And there is no way in hell that he is letting that go.

 

“I love you Do Kyungsoo. I love you”

 

Kyungsoo and Jongin cry together as slowly, Jongin leans in. stopping just a millimeter away from Kyungsoo’s lips, he whispers a soft caress “I love you” and Kyungsoo’s eyes flutter closed as Jongin connects their lips together into a slow passionate first kiss for the both of them.

 

--

 

 

“Morning you”

 

“Morning baby” Jongin whispers

 

Its morning’s like these that Jongin cherishes and loves the most. Waking up to Kyungsoo in his arms, Kyungsoo’s warmth and Kyungsoo’s bright loving smile. Yep, Jongin just about has it all.

 

“My mother says I have mail and sent it back to your place. Is that okay?” Kyungsoo asks while tracing patterns along Jongin’s bare chest

Their confession was months ago, and now, it’s a new year. Jongin is still working at the library and Kyungsoo at the hospital.

 

“Of course its okay, you’re here 24/7 anyway” Jongin whispers chuckling

 

“Well that’s because you won’t let me leave douche” Kyungsoo replies

 

“Why would I when something like last night could happen again hm?”

 

“Ooh ”

 

“You know you love it”

 

“Oh really”

 

“Mhm”

 

Kyungsoo giggles as Jongin peppers his face with soft butterfly kisses

 

“I’m going to take a shower yeah? Can you check if the mail got here?” Kyungsoo asks while sitting up

 

“Sure baby, go ahead”

 

Giving Jongin another kiss, Kyungsoo leaves for the shower

 

And cue Jongin rolling around in his bed and fan-boying like a little kid.

 

Coughing awkwardly and sitting up, Jongin chucks on a shirt and makes his way to the front door. Stepping out he retrieves the mails from the mail box and heads on back inside, placing it on the coffee table.

 

Ruffling his hair he makes his way to the kitchen to put the kettle on. Taking out two mugs he prepares some coffee. Whistling to himself he walks to the fridge to search for some eggs and bacon, pulling out some bread as well for toast.

 

“Jongin! Was the mail there?”

 

“Coffee table baby!”

 

“Thanks honey!”

 

The use of the word ‘honey’ makes Jongin go all fluffy inside. So he giggles a not so manly giggle.

 

“AAAHHH JONGIN!”

 

“WHAT WHAT!”

 

Jongin quickly turns off the stove and the kettle and runs towards the sound of Kyungsoo’s voice. Kyungsoo’s by the coffee table and holding two envelopes. Jongin frowns.

 

“What is it? You gave me a heart attack”

 

“Jongin, you applied for Seoul University?”

 

Jongin nods “Yeah, I thought I told you?”

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head

 

“Did the letter come in?’

 

Kyungsoo nods his head

 

“What was your letter?” Jongin asks

 

“A letter from Seoul University”

 

Now it’s Jongin’s turn to be baffled

 

“You applied there too?”

 

Kyungsoo nods

 

Jongin makes his way to Kyungsoo as Kyungsoo hands him his envelope.

 

“In 3 we’ll open” Kyungsoo compromises

 

“Sure”

 

“Okay, 1, 2, 3”

 

Kyungsoo and Jongin rip the envelopes at the same time

 

They both scream

 

Jongin tackles Kyungsoo to the floor and they cuddle, laugh and hold each other for a long time. So they’re moving on to university together.

 

“I’m glad you didn’t give up on me. You’re my angel Kyungsoo. My beautiful angel”

 

--

 

Number 6 and 7 on that football field did not know each other besides on that field. They knew each other’s plays, understood each other’s signals. Yet, they didn’t know each other. And now, they do. Number 6 is Jongin and number 7 is Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo and Jongin love each other. It’s crazy how life works. From the start, even before they knew each other, they both aspired to go to the same university, to study in the performing arts, Kyungsoo singing and Jongin dancing.

 

Of course the road’s going to be tough, nothing is ever easy. But they’re going to be each other’s pillars. Throughout your life, of course people come and go, you’re going to have your own experiences and life is going to be a tough . But it’s up to you, whether you get back up, or let it run over you. You choose to fight back and face the world, face your problems head on, or you run away. But through your life, when there is darkness, there is always light at the end of that tunnel, and you can make it through if you hold on.

 

Ties are made and ties are cut. But there is always that person or people who will always be there. Whether it is your best friend, your family, a teacher even or your lover.

 

For Jongin, that person is Kyungsoo and for Kyungsoo, that person is Jongin.

 

- THE END -