Chapter 2

Where Are We Now?

 

 

I decided against the coffee and went for a pot of green tea instead. It would be more soothing and relaxing. I switched the small burner on and set the teapot to boil, while my thoughts started drifting. I didn't particularly like the direction they were taking, so I focused on the day's patients and tried to see if I could remember everything on their charts. 

It wasn't long before the water was done boiling and I carried the kettle to Hyun Joong's desk. I set a tea bag in his cup and started to pour. "Tea?" I heard a voice say. I started and looked up to see Hyun Joong standing in the doorway. He didn't do anything. Simply stood there, leaning against the door post. Distracted, I ended up pouring hot water on my hand. "A-a!" I dropped the kettle and clutched my hand. He was at my side in a flash, "Suh Young! Gwenchana?" Then led me to the sink. He let the water run over the burn for a while before taking me by the elbow and sitting me down on the couch in front of his desk. He moved the phone and punched in some numbers, waiting for a few rings before requesting some burn cream and bandages be brought up. He sighed after hanging up. "Ironic isn't it? An accident in a doctor's office, and the materials for treating it are found elsewhere." I gave a small smile in spite of myself.

There was a knock on the door a minute later, and the requested items were delivered. He thanked the sender then shut the door, moving to kneel down in front of me. He moved my hand towards him and inspected the burn. "Not bad," he pronounced. He squirted some of the cream onto his finger and rubbed it gently over the burn. I watched quietly as he blew softly on it before applying the bandage. 

flashback

He blew on her finger and gave it a kiss. "Suh Young, gwenchana? It's just a little cut, right?" He frowned. "Say 'right', Suh Young." "Ahni," she shook her head and pouted. 
"It's not alright. How can I be fine if you're going?" 
"Will you really miss me?" 
She huffed and looked away. "No. I won't. So ka. Go." She sniffed loudly. 
He pulled her close. "Then stay with me. Come with me, and we won't be apart again." 

He smiled up at me. "All better now." Then after a pause, "Suh Young, what happened?" I blinked, puzzled by his question. "Why don't I see you anymore?" 
"I don't under-" 
"You've been avoiding me. Why?" 
I sighed and leaned back into the couch, fixing my eyes on the ceiling. He leaned back on his heels. He was giving me space, but he wasn't letting me go either. I sighed. "Hyun Joong, I have to go." I stood up and opened the door. "Suh Young." 
"Are you going to stop me?" I couldn't look at him. 
There was no answer, so I headed out.