[ Sixteen ]

Age Doesn't Matter

A few weeks later, it was finally graduation prom. No matter how much make up Yuri tried to help Taeyeon put on, Taeyeon still looked as dead as she was a few weeks ago when Baekhyun rejected her.

 

‘’Taeyeon, sit up straight yeah? I can’t do your eyeliner.’’ Yuri spoke softly.

 

‘’What’s the point…no one is going to care about how I look anyway.’’

 

Yuri slammed the eyeliner on the desk, and this caused Taeyeon to look up.

 

“Kim Taeyeon! Stop this right now, once and for all. I’ve had enough of seeing you upset like this every day. So what if Byun Baekhyun rejected you? That’s just his loss. He’s not worth it. You are so beautiful and charming, you can get even better guys than that kid.’’

 

Taeyeon slowly teared up. ‘’Yes…he’s a kid. I’m a noona. Does age really matter that much when it comes to someone you like? Or maybe he doesn’t even care about this age issue. He just simply…doesn’t like me.’’ She burst out crying and headed to the washroom, fiddling with her prom dress that Baekhyun picked out. Yuri sighed. She walked to the washroom, listening to Taeyeon’s cries.

 

‘’Tae…I didn’t mean it that way.’’ No response. Yuri sighed again. ‘’I’ll leave you alone for a while, let me know if you need anything okay? But not too long, we have to leave soon.’’

 

Yuri left the room, and Taeyeon continued to cry harder when she heard Yuri left.

 

Why does this feel so painful? Taeyeon clutched her heart.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘’That’s really nice of you but I’m not feeling too well tonight, so I’ll stay here. Maybe you can ask Jessica.’’ Taeyeon forced a smile and watched the poor guy leave. Taeyeon sighed.

 

Yuri saw the scene and came over after a round of dancing. ‘’Tae, that was the fifth guy you’ve rejected tonight. It’s just a dance, and it’s OUR graduation prom! Come on, have some fun.’’

 

Taeyeon took a sip of her champagne. ‘’I just…don’t feel like it, Yul.’’ She stood up. ‘’I think I’m going to head home and rest, you have fun tonight yeah?’’ Taeyeon took Yuri with her and walked to Youngbae, their other classmate who was dancing with his friends in the middle of the room.

 

‘’Youngbae, please take care of Yuri tonight. Have fun and make sure she gets home safe.’’ Taeyeon smiled and put Yuri’s hand into Youngbae’s, turned around and left the ballroom.

 

‘’Is she alright?’’ Youngbae asked.

 

‘’No. But someday, she will be.’’ Yuri sighed. ‘’Let’s just enjoy tonight, Bae.’’

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

SUMMER

Summer holidays have officially started, and Taeyeon finally agreed to go on a lunch date with Yuri after staying at home alone for almost forever.

 

‘’I can’t believe you’re actually coming out with me!’’ Yuri smiled as Taeyeon opened her front door.

 

Taeyeon forced a smile. ‘’I can’t believe I actually agreed to come out. Sure feels weird.’’

 

‘’You’re going to become a zombie soon if you don’t leave the house. Let’s go, I’m starving!’’ Yuri smiled and dragged Taeyeon away before her best friend started to have second thoughts.

 

The girls headed to a nearby café for lunch and Yuri left Taeyeon to order whilst she headed for the washroom, but bumped into someone on the way.

 

‘’Ow.’’ Yuri rubbed her shoulder.

 

‘’I’m sorry, are you alright?’’

 

Yuri looked up upon hearing the familiar voice. ‘’Baekhyun?’’

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widened. ‘’Oh…Yuri noona. Are you here alone…?’’ He asked carefully.

 

Although Yuri was happy to see one of his favourite dongsaengs, she was reminded of her company outside, her best friend who had been so depressed because of the boy standing in front of her.

 

She cleared . ‘’Why? What if I wasn’t alone? Are you scared of seeing a certain someone?’’ she challenged him.

 

Baekhyun gulped. ‘’Uh…I didn’t mean it that way. I was just-‘’

 

‘’Look, Baekhyun. I might as well just tell you what I want you to know now. You should know how Taeyeon has been acting ever since the day you told her she was just a noona to you. Do you know how depressed she has been? I really don’t understand. Are you saying Taeyeon isn’t good enough for you, or does age really matter that much to you? What do you mean by she’s just a noona to you, huh?’’

 

Baekhyun kept silent, listening to Yuri’s words.

 

‘’I haven’t seen her act like her normal self since that day, and today is the first day that I’ve been able to hang out with her properly. She’s been staying at home too long that her mom called me to take her out. I haven’t seen her like this before, do you get what I mean?’’

 

Baekhyun nodded slowly, holding in his tears.

 

She sighed. ‘’We’re in that café having lunch; I hope you won’t let her see you. I don’t want her to go back to her depressed self again.’’ Yuri was about to walk away when she stopped next to him and patted his shoulder.

 

‘’Age shouldn’t matter, Baekhyun. Love has no boundaries. I believe she’s not just a noona to you. Don’t lie to Taeyeon again, and don’t lie to yourself.’’ And Yuri walked away, leaving Baekhyun alone, deep in his thoughts.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Baekhyun spent the next two weeks considering what Yuri said to him, and finally, it was time for Baekhyun to leave Korea with his family.

 

‘’Baekhyun, we’re leaving in 10 minutes. Are you done?’’ A voice woke Baekhyun up from daydreaming.

 

‘’Um yeah! I’ll be down there in 5 minutes, mom.’’

 

Baekhyun fiddled with his fingers for a while, and finally took his phone out to type a message.

 

To: Taeyeon Noona

 

Sorry, Kim Taeyeon. Take care.

 

From: Baekhyun

 

Baekhyun sighed as he pressed the ‘’send’’ button. He tossed the phone into his backpack and began to carry his luggage down the stairs.