- Different World

||| Short Stories - Angst, Sad, Fluffy etc |||

 

 

2019 Seoul, Autumn

Street9 Bar & Resturant


Taeyeon, the "once" famous leader of the most successful kpop girl group, together with her old friend Jung Byung Hee, or more commonly known as G.O, are having dinner with some businessmen in the same industry. Nope, not the kpop industry but the fashion industry.

One might not expect Taeyeon, who is not known for being an fashion icon, unlike her members like Jessica or Tiffany, she is currently a co-owner of a fashion/beauty salon TJ*star. 


It has been almost two years since SNSD disbanded after 10 years of glory and attention from the entire South Korea, or rather the entire World. In the year 2017, the group finally marks the end of SNSD's journey and the girls finally retired themselves from S.M Entertainment. Besides Hyoyeon who stayed with S.M as a dance instructor, the other girls moved on with their own careers. Yoona and Sooyoung became full-time actresses. Sunny moved on to be a stage actress. Yuri is now the owner of a gym. Seohyun pursued further studies in UK. Tiffany and Jessica has their own fashion line, while Taeyeon and her long-time good friend jointly setup TJ*star.


This day, Taeyeon and G.O met up with some businessmen for networking, which is inevitable in the world of business. It's surprising how an socially awkward person like Taeyeon chose to become a businesswoman who needs to mingle and actively involved in entertaining strangers. But thanks to G.O, who is an expert in this area, helped her overcomed her barriers and encouraged her to step out of her own world. Friends for almost 13 years, G.O promised to be by her side until she is ready to do it alone.


"Looking forward to our collaboration. Cheers!" 

The champagne glasses raised high, as G.O cheered with a broad smile.


The door to the VIP room opened when the waitress came in with more wines. Taeyeon casually look out from the door, and someone familiar caught her attention...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Taeyeon, what's wrong?"

G.O noticed her attention was shifted to something outside. "I think I saw someone I know. Excuse me for awhile. I'll be back soon." Taeyeon smiled and politely bowed to her accompanies before she walked out from the VIP room.


Carefully glancing at the tall young man as she walked towards his direction, Taeyeon hoped she didn't get the wrong person. Reaching the wine bar, she tapped on his shoulder gently. "Sehun.. it's really you!" Taeyeon grin brightly. "N-noona... wait, I didn't see wrongly right? It's really you, Taeyeon noona!!" Sehun called out excitedly.


"Deh. It's really me. I didn't change that much for you not to recognize me right?" Taeyeon joked. "No. You still look the same. In fact, you looked more stunning than ever." Sehun complimented. Taeyeon smiled shyly. "Of course. Now I get more than 6 hours of sleep everyday. That was like almost impossible when I was still in your industry." She said.

"Awwh....speaking about that, I now hardly sleep more than 4hours a day." Sehun rolled his eyes with his famous deadpan face. Taeyeon laughed and hit on his arm. "Wow. It's such a great pleasure to see you again. It has been a long time since we last met. How time flies.." Taeyeon sighed. "How come you are here?" She continued shortly. "Alone?" 

"No, the others are here too. The staffs, the other members and some labelmates. They are in the VIP room over there." Sehun points his finger to one of the room across the hall. "There is a celebration going on, so everyone is here." He continued.


The smile on Taeyeon's face diminished. "Everyone is here..." She thought to herself. "Noona?" Sehun noticed the change on her face. "Oh, I see." Taeyeon forced a smile as she recovered from her thoughts. "Look Sehun, my friends are still waiting for me. Let's catch up another time. Noona gotta go. Enjoy yourself k!" She gave a pat on Sehun's shoulder.


"Wait, noona!" Sehun called.

Taeyeon turned around. "Hmm?" she asked. "If convenient, can you drop by for some drinks later? I'm sure the rest will be pleased to see you again." Sehun asked. Taeyeon bit her lips and thought for awhile. She stepped forward and smiled. "I wished I can, but... noona is no longer part of the company now. It's not nice for me to just walk in the celebration like that." Taeyeon explained.

Though he understand, but a slight disappointment still appeared on Sehun's face.

"You are right. I understand."  He said.

 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Returning to her own VIP room, "Met someone you know?" G.O asked. Taeyeon nodded slightly as she took her seat beside him. "Yeah, met someone from S.M." she said. Hearing that, "I see." G.O replied without feeling anything amiss.

Their dinner continued, but Taeyeon could no longer focus ever since she knew the Exo members are just 2 rooms away. It has been two years since she last met them. Yet, everything feels like yesterday.

Especially that moment, that last moment before she stepped out from S.M for good...

 

| FLASHBACK |

2017, Spring


The farewell party has ended. SNSD has offically disband and this is the last party put up for the girls under the name of S.M. From this moment on, the 9 girls has no ties with S.M. They are no longer bounded by any contract, and they no longer belongs to S.M Entertainment. 
 

Taeyeon, who has been yearning for the day to break free from the locks is now freed to do anything. To spend more time with her family, to go for long vacations, and most importantly... to date. But Taeyeon isn't happy at all. Though the days with S.M were tough, S.M still created alot of fond memories since she was a young teen. S.M was like a second family to her. And from this point on, she have to part ways with all her members and her labelmates. Tears came falling down on the 9 girl's face. Holding onto each other in their arms, they cried badly. 


It took the girls almost an hour to finally calm down and start parting ways. Taeyeon's family is here at the party too. They are here to fetch her, just like how they brought young Taeyeon here 13 years ago. But Taeyeon stopped her feet. "Umma, Appa. I still have something undone. Can you wait for in the car first?" Upon saying that, Taeyeon took off and jogged back into the building.


Walking along the familiar aisle, Taeyeon browsed around the practice rooms. The rooms that she spent her many years here, the rooms which are filled with sweat and tears. She knew this is the last time she is looking at these familiar surroundings and her heart cringed.

Finally, she came to her destination. 

Entering the room, she's welcomed by someone familiar.


As if it was arranged, but it wasn't. Taeyeon didn't expect him to be here too. She wanted to take a look at the vocal practice room before she is gone for good. This room, probably the most meaningful spot for Taeyeon since she is a main vocalist. She spent most of her time here practicing alone, with her members, and sometimes with her labelmates...


"I thought you left." He said.

"I almost did." Taeyeon replied. "But I suddenly remember there is still something left undone." 

"Something left undone?" He asked.

Taeyeon nodded. "This place..." she said. "I have too much memories here. I want to take a last look before I go..." 


Taeyeon browsed around the empty room. It's just the two of them, as usual.

It was since Baekhyun and her became close labelmates that they started practicing together. They are fans of each other's voice and talent. Both of them possessed two of the most stable vocal chords in S.M family. And when their voice harmonized, it's like magic. Unfortunately, they didn't have a chance to have a duet throughout the years. Damn S.M? But that's what S.M is all about...never give what fans/idols wanted.

However, it's not always just the two of them. Vocalists like Jonghyun, Onew, Tiffany and Seohyun joins in occassionally. Baekhyun will also bring along s Kyungsoo, Chen and Luhan sometimes. This group of vocal line spent alot of time here, creating beautiful notes and melodies always.

Taeyeon let out a sigh - All these memories will go down to history once she stepped out of this place.


"Is that all that is keeping you from leaving?" Baekhyun asked.

Taeyeon turned to look at him.

"Nothing else?" He added.


Taeyeon blink her eyes and looked at the young man standing in front of her.

It has always been like this. The both of them.

They are two individuals who loves each other's accompany. The time they spent are always fun and exclusive. Exclusive, because both of them are ingenious dorks. Their humors are at the same level, that's why they never get tired of each other's weird acts and unusual jokes. 

Sometimes, they get along so well that they seem to be more than just sunbae-dongsaeng, or even more than friends. Yet they are not best friends like Taeyeon & Tiffany, Baekhyun & Chanyeol. They knew their affection for each other is special, but none of them ever explicitly brought that topic up. Things left hanging like that for many years. They talked, they laughed, they never forget to nudge each other on the phone even when one of them is in overseas for schedules.

It feels like nothing needs to be changed. Everything looks fine the way it was until... the annoucement of SNSD disbanding.


"How about you?" Taeyeon asked back. "Do you have anything to say to me?"

Baekhyun looked down in silence.

"Nothing?" Taeyeon asked again.


"Will we get to meet again?" Baekhyun lifted his head and asked.

Taeyeon gave a small smile.

"Well, for me... I still can catch you on the TV." She jokingly commmented.

"But...."


"We aren't gonna meet again, aren't we?" Baekhyun interrupted.

Taeyeon bit her lips.

"Baekhyun ah... from now on, I'm not an idol anymore. Noona needs to get back to a normal life. It's not going to be easy and it will take me some time. But I will work hard to become a normal person." She said. "You too. You need to work hard to stay at your point. You need to work even harder to go beyond from where you are now... as an idol." She added.


"That means what?" Baekhyun asked.

"That means we belong to two different world now. Even if you don't mind, I know S.M will not be on your side. Even if you don't care, your busy schedule will not allow you to do what you want. Things are totally different now. We can't meet as and when we want to, like we did in this enclosed building. We can't meet outside either. You will get yourself into trouble..."


Taeyeon's words brings in a long silence.

Baekhyun, who may seem to be just a dorky person most of the time, or a lost harmless puppy in the eyes of his fans, but Baekhyun is more than just that. He has strong-headed side which most outsiders don't see. 

Baekhyun stepped forward.


"So you mean just like that?" He asked with a strong tone.

"Are we going to be strangers from now on?" 

Baekhyun's face turned into a serious stern look.


Taeyeon noticed the change on his face. She knew this side of Baekhyun, which is very much like herself. Persistent, stubborn and strong-headed. But Baekhyun is so much better at concealing this side of him from the others compared to herself. Only those who understands him, those who he trusted and opened up to totally, knows that side of him.

Taeyeon stepped forward. Without giving any signs, she lifted her feet and bring her arms around Baekhyun. Baekhyun was caught in surprise. Feeling her body around him, his hands loosen causing his cellphone to slip and fell onto the ground. The air in the room becomes still. It was dead silence. The tumble sound of the fallen object became the only noise. 

They had never been so close before. Although Taeyeon has the habit of getting touchy with people she is closed to, she seldom does it to Baekhyun. Same for Baekhyun. He never take initiative to get close to her physically, unlike s Sehun and Chanyeol, who can do skinship with Taeyeon like nobody's business.

Now that his hands are empty, Baekhyun slowly raised his arms and placed them around Taeyeon... for the very first time.

Their first hug... that was.

 

The both of them, in the empty room..... stayed like that for as long as they can remember.

Until Taeyeon gently pulled herself away from Baekhyun.

"I gotta go. My parents are waiting for me." 

 

"So this is it?" Baekhyun asked as he stared blankly at her.

"So are we going to say hi if we happen to meet outside?"

Baekhyun asked with his droppy eyes.

 

"We won't meet..." Taeyeon forced a small smile.

"I won't be attending any of your fansigns nor waiting for you at the airport like your fans do. So we won't get to meet." She forced a joke.

Baekhyun's lips arched down. 

 

"Don't be like this. You don't look good with your face like this."

Taeyeon pouted as she used her fingers to bring up his arched-down lips, forming a smile.


"This is what I like best from you. Your smile. You know you have the best smile in the world, right!!"

Taeyeon feigned a big grin on her face, while Baekhyun sticked on to that smile forcefully.



"Thanks for smiling for me. Thanks for letting me leave with this smile."

"Bye, Byun Baekhyun...."

 

| FLASHBACK ends |



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Taeyeon?"

G.O waved his hands infront of her. The movements awakened Taeyeon from her thoughts. "Hey, what's with the daze? It's time to go."  G.O said. Taeyeon looked around and found everyone already walked out of the room. "Oh, mianhae. I think I'm little tipsy and tired." She said. 

"Welcome to business world. It's all about network and drinks. It's about time you learn how to hold your drinks." G.O advised with a laugh. Taeyeon smiled and nudged her buddy a little. Both of them stepped out from the VIP room and noises from the other end of the hall caught their attention. 
 

"Ah, the ex-labelmates you were talking about. Looks like they leaving too. Do you want to go over and say hi. I can wait for you here." G.O asked. Watching the familiar crowd from far, Taeyeon shook her head. "Don't have to. I already did just now. Let's go." Taeyeon walked past G.O and head towards the exit. G.O shrugged his shoulders and just followed her behind.

 

Just a few steps ahead...

"Yaa ouch~" 

Taeyeon let out a pain softly when a drunkard knocked onto her, spilling his drinks onto her dress. "Are you okay?" G.O went up and asked as he helped to clean her dress with a napkin he grabbed from the wine bar. "Yeah, I'm fine. I guess I need to visit the washroom to clean up abit." Taeyeon said with a small frown on her face. "Sure, I'll just wait for you outside." G.O replied.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Finally done cleaning up her dress, Taeyeon looked up into the mirror.

Seeing herself in the reflection, thoughts came rushing in.

 

"Was I avoiding?" 

"But why should I?"

"It has been two years. We haven't meet nor talk for two years. Why can't I just drop by and say hi?"

"We are still friends no matter what... it's not a big deal."


Taeyeon laughed slightly at her own foolishness, before she put back on a smile and walked out of the washroom.

 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Stepping out from the washroom, Taeyeon found the main hall empty.

Looks like most of the crowd has left. Specifically, the S.M party.

Taeyeon walks on after a quick browse.

 

It was just another few steps before she noticed someone approaching the same direction with her.

Dressed smartly in a casual suit, with a pair of fitting jeans. 

It wasn't someone unfamiliar.


Taeyeon stopped her feet and stared.

That person stopped his feet as well. He turned his head to her too.

Soon, they found themselves looking at each other.

 

"So are we going to say hi if we happen to meet outside?"

Those words flashed across his mind. It was 2 years ago when he asked this question. And the answer he got was..... they will never meet again.

And it seems like God has been abiding to her answer, they hadn't seen each other since the day she left S.M.

 

Uncertain if she still remembers him, Baekhyun breaks a soft smile on his face

Taeyeon saw it. 

After seconds of hesitation, Taeyeon decided to put on her best smile and walks towards her long-lost friend.

 

"It has been a long time." Taeyeon greets him.

Baekhyun returned a slight nod.

"Deh, it has been a long time." he greets back with a smile.

 

"How are you getting??" They asked at the same time.

Both of them break into a small laughter.

That smile, Taeyeon admitted she missed it alot.

Their laughter, they both remembered it clearly like it just happened yesterday.

 

"Erm... I thought we never gonna meet again." Baekhyun said in a mature tone as he stuffed both hands into his pocket. 

"Yeah, me too." Taeyeon bit her lips and looked down.

"Sehun told us..." Baekhyun said. "He said he bumped into you at the main hall just now. But none of us believed him." 


Taeyeon crooked her brows with a small grin. "Why?? Why didn't you believe him?" 

Baekhyun sighed jokingly.

"Don't you know how evil our maknae has grown to be? He likes troll his hyungs alot. And he likes to brat.....so...." he laughed.

Taeyeon nodded in agreement and joined in the laughter.


"Then, why didn't you come?" Baekhyun asked.

Taeyeon kept her laughter, "Uhmm?"

"Sehun said he invited you to join us but you rejected. I mean... provided he is not lying." he asked as he scratched his head.

 

Taeyeon smirked a little. "I wished I could, but it's not that convenient. I mean......"

Baekhyun cuts in her words.

"You mean because we are in two different world now. So it's best not to meet in this kinda situation. Is that what you wanna say?"


Taeyeon tilted her head in surprised.

It's as if Baekhyun can read her mind. 

He said every single word she wanted to say.

He remembered every single word she told him two years ago.

But ...


Though they knew they aren't gonna meet, Taeyeon thought Baekhyun will contact her through phone, but all these while he didn't.

Since the day she left S.M, she has been waiting for his call. Unknowingly.

But there wasn't any news from him. Not even a text.

Many times, she wanted to dial his number... but she ended up staring at her cellphone and do nothing.

 

It was 6 months after she left S.M, Taeyeon believed she was completely forgotten by him.

No news. No call. No text. Nothing.

But she never blame him.

She told herself she's probably just one of those people in his life who came by and left..... and that's just life.

 

It has been two years since he last saw her.

It was in S.M vocal practice room. The place where they shared alot of memories.

That last moment, he remembered how she formed that forced smile on his face.

The way she wanted... Baekhyun obliged and allow her to remember him the best way... with his best smile.

 

But what Taeyeon didn't see were traces of tears that came down on his face after she left.

A man with strong ego, Baekhyun has never cried over such matters before.

Even when he left his friends and pursued his dream as an idol, he never felt such unbearable pain before.

 

As she wanted....

They became people from two different world.

Many times he wondered if he should contact her, or maybe dropped her a message, but Taeyeon's words always reminded him.


"Baekhyun ah... from now on, I'm not an idol anymore. Noona needs to get back to a normal life. It's not going to be easy and it will take me some time. But I will work hard to become a normal person."


Baekhyun didn't want to interrupt nor disrupt her life. And so, for many times he gave up the thought.

 

"You too. You need to work hard to stay at your point. You need to work even harder to go beyond from where you are now... as an idol." 

And because of those words, Baekhyun worked hard.

He was already hardworking, but he worked even harder so he can go beyond where he already is. Like she said.

 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

"It wasn't that bad right?"

Baekhyun broke the silence.  

"To meet like this after two years." he added.

 

Baekhyun is indeed right.

It wasn't as bad as Taeyeon thought it would be.

She thought it's going to be extremely awkward since they didn't contact each other for two years and things would have changed alot since then.

However, she seems wrong.


To once again see his warm smile, to once again hear his husky voice, Taeyeon feels like nothing much has changed afterall. Except that she is no longer in the Kpop industry, nothing else changed. She is still Taeyeon. He is still the old Baekhyun... except that he has became more mature from the way he talked.



"Baekhyun ah!!!"

A voice from far interrupted the couple.

It was S.M Manager.


"Time to go. The rest are waiting for you!!" The manager shouted across the hall.

Baekhyun nodded at his manager and turned to Taeyeon who is looking at the same direction too.


"Don't keep your managers waiting. They are not a nice bunch of people when you make them impatient." Taeyeon jokingly commented.

Baekhyun heard and laughed.

"Noona, you are still the same." he said. "Still.... funny and straightforward." 
 

"Of course I'm still the same. How much can a person change in two years?" Taeyeon smirked naughtily.

"Quick go. Don't keep your members waiting. They must be tired too." she added.

Baekhyun nodded and flashed a warm smile at Taeyeon.

"Noona, can we....."

 

"Taeyeon..."

Another approaching voice interrupted them and cuts Baekhyun's words.

It was G.O, who has been waiting outside for Taeyeon for too long.


Both of them looked to where the voice was coming from, and Baekhyun quickly took back his words.

"I guess I need to get going too." Taeyeon said.

Baekhyun bit his lips and took in a small breath as his heart cringed.
 

"Yeah, better don't keep your boyfriend waiting. He might not be happy that you are talking to another guy now." Baekhyun tried to joke about it.

Taeyeon widened her eyes.

"Boyfriend? Him? Byunghee oppa?? Hahaa... no way. He's just a good buddy." Taeyeon clarified. 


"Anyway, it's really great to see you again." She added. 

"Bye Baekhyun...." 

Upon saying that, Taeyeon turned around and walked away.


"Noona...!" 

Baekhyun stepped forward.

Taeyeon stopped and turned back.


"Can we meet again??"

He finally plucked up his courage and finished his sentence, despite the whole world seems to be waiting for them.


After a few seconds of consideration, Taeyeon walked towards Baekhyun as she took a card out from her purse.

"Take this... " She offered the business card to him.

Baekhyun raised his hand and took it.


"TJ*Star..." He read it and Taeyeon nodded.

"Bring your girlfriend to visit my salon when you have time." she said.

"Don't worry. My mouth is tight. I promise I won't tell the media." she added with a smile.


Baekhyun touched his neck awkwardly.

"Girlfriend? But I....haven't got one yet."  


Taeyeon widened her smile.

"Really? Then keep it until you get yourself a girlfriend..." 

"Or...... if you want to get your manicure done. You can come too." She added.
 

"Me?" Baekhyun's eyes widened.

It took a few seconds for Baekhyun to realise what Taeyeon meant, before he flashed a huge smile on his face. 


"I think I got it...." 


"Good. See you then. Baekhyun."

 

- End -

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry for not updating for a long time. 

I was on a last minute vacation. =)

I hope this chapter is not too crappy... cause it took me quite long to find new inspiration.

Well, I really hope each story is as original as possible... so it has some difficulty.


Please comment... please give me ideas. Else, I might not have the drive to update anymore :(
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~