Lesson 6: Yes and No

Come Along with Me [Learn Korean]
Please log in to read the full chapter

As most of you already know, 네 means yes and 아니요 means no.

In English "Yes" and "No" are used different from how Korean people use it.

ex:

Person 1: Do you like coffee?

Person 2: No, I don't like coffee.

Person 1: Do you like tea?

Person 2: Yes, I like tea.

 

In Korean, 네 is expressed to show your "agrement" to what other people said, and 아니요 is used to show your "disagreement" or "denial" to what another person had said.

ex:

Person 1: You don't like cofee? (커피 안 좋아요?)

Person 2: Yes, I don't like coffee. (네, 커피 안 좋아요.)

 

네 means a multiple amount of things. 

That's right/ I agree/ sounds good/ What you said is right.

 

Along with 네 having multiple amount of definitions, so does 아니요.

That's not right/ I disagree/ What you said is incorrect

 

Do you still not get the concept of 네 and 아니요? If you do, then let me help break it down. 

In English, when someone asks if you like something, and you do, you usually would say "Yea, I like ______." This also goes for Korean. It sounds confusing, yes, but later it will get more clear if you keep using it and hearing it be used in context. However if someone asks you "You don't like _____?" but you actually do like it, you then say "No I like ______." When you say "no," you're not saying you don't like it, you're disagreeing to what the other person said. Remember how I said that "no" means a lot of things? In this case, "no" is being used as "What you said is incorrect." 

 

Person 1: You don't like coffee? (커피 안 좋아요?)

Responses:

No I don't - 네, 커피 안 좋아요 (translation: Yes, I don't like coffee)

Yes I do - 아니요, 커피 좋아요.(translation: No, I like cofee)

 

Person 1: 커피 좋아요?

Responses

Yes I do - 네,커피 좋아

No I don't - 아니요, 커피 안 좋아요. 

 

네 is used in conversations a lot. 네 is basically a filler word. 네 can be heard even in sentences that don't require yes or no.

Don't understand? What's a filler word?

A filler word is what it sounds like. A filler word. It really is just put there to make the conver

Please log in to read the full chapter