first

Please Don't...

 

One second.

Three seconds.

Five seconds.

Eight seconds.

Ten.

Within those ten seconds, not once did Woo Jiho follow these three simple and easy steps.

Step 1: Stop
Step 2: Express
Step 3: Reconcile

He was ignorant, completely oblivious to the scene unfolding in front of him. Why didn’t I know this sooner? It’s all my fault... Relentlessly blaming himself, he never learned the meaning behind “reflection”. Jiho only needed a splash of cold water on his face and time. He needed the time to think things through; rather than reflecting upon his wrongdoings, Jiho brushed past it, ignoring the matter that could lead to the end of everything.

Time was the key. It was the key to his relationship problems but he proudly threw away that precious item – the one thing everyone struggles to keep.

The first step – stop. During his quarrel with Jung Haneul, his now ex-girlfriend from two years ago, not once did he stop. What did I mean by stop? It simply meant to halt all the arguments, all the fights, the shouting, and the throwing of solid objects.

Ignore It. That was the first step in Jiho’s relationship guide book.

Step 1: Ignore It

Let it happen. Let it go. Whatever it takes, don’t let it come to a complete stop. Be a man with a distinctive pride. If you ever let your woman control you, you might as well throw your superiority out the window. You’re the man and you control your woman. They want you to do the household chores, ignore them. Let it go. Let them do it. They want you to cook, why should you? In fact, they should be the one cooking. Women are supposed to be in the kitchen. Tell them to go make you a sandwich. Now. Be a man and ignore their stupid pleas.

You are the one in control.

“Jiho-yah, can you come with me to the supermarket? We ran out of cucumbers and I’ve been dying to get rid of these heavy eye bags underneath my eyes. I’ve been having sleepless nights and I can’t afford to lose anymore beauty sleep. These dark circles are ugly. So can you drive me there? I promise it won’t take long. Thank you, I love you, honey!”

Jiho seethed in rage. He was dressed in his sweats and wife beater, lying comfortably on his back on the bed, reading a magazine about the newest release of men preferences and etcetera. He didn’t want to leave his current position and that was what he did. Jiho continued on flipping through the magazine, completing ignoring his girlfriend’s one simple request. He was lazy and she did not complain – yet.

“Jiho-yah, are you the- Oh, you’re here.” Haneul walked into his room. Seeing him not doing anything extraordinary, Haneul smiled at her boyfriend. She walked up to Jiho and sat on the edge of his bed, pouting at his lazy posture and began poking arm that held the magazine in place. “Can you drive me to the market, please? I need to buy something real quick.”

Jiho didn’t realize that it was urgent for his girlfriend, not that it mattered to him anyway. He wasn’t the one in need of something from the supermarket. If he did need something, Haneul would be there to buy it for him. After all, she knew him the best, better than himself in his perspective.

“Jagi, I’m tired.” Jiho flipped through the same magazine once again, not even taking a glance up at Haneul. “Just take some money from my wallet –keep it below thirty bucks– and walk there. It’s not that far from where we live anyway.”

“But Jiho baby, I want you to come with me. The least you can do is to go with your girlfriend so she won’t feel alone on the way there.” Haneul pouted cutely, hoping her cutesy act could change her boyfriend’s stubborn mind.

“I’m lazy.”

A few whines here and there later, Haneul stood up from the foot of the bed and crossed her arm. “Fine, be that way meanie. I don’t get why I even dated a lazy like you.” She grunted before leaving his property. Jiho shrugged in annoyance, finally free from hearing his lovely girlfriend complain at how useless he was; not that he was in his point of view. He was just tired and needed a break.

“That’s right, baby, you love me and you know it.” He sing-shouted while he was still lying down in his comfortable position.

Jiho was still in his room when he heard an irritated scream past the door. The door slammed shut with a loud thud and Jiho did not flinch. He was used to it.

Jung Haneul was just in her moment.

Jiho didn’t stop to realize what he had done. He practically chased his girlfriend out the door without even having to move a muscle. If flipping pages after pages of a magazine could lead to an irreversible couple fight, then that means every couple in the world would end up arguing until no ends.

Now that the results came to this, Jiho stopped and looked back at his mistakes. If only I went with her even if I didn’t want to. If only she didn’t slam that door and walked out of it. If only she came back and told me she wasn’t mad at me. If only she dragged me with her. If only she did something to make me go with her. He regretted that day. It was the prequel to their tragic love story. All of which happened because of Woo Jiho.

He ignored her pleas.

Step 2: Pretend you didn’t know.

Don’t do anything. That’s what you should do. If there’s a party or a reunion that your woman forced you to go, don’t go. Remember, you are the one in control. You are the man in this relationship. You are the one wearing the pants. Don’t ever let your woman dominate you and control your lifestyle. Pretend you don’t know what they’re talking about. Pretend you’re asleep or that you’re sick. Just pretend. Even if that means lying to your woman, do it. They’ll end up falling for your act anyway – they are inferior to you. You are the man.

“Woo Jiho.” The young lad was drinking from a 2 litre bottle of Mr. Pepper, followed by munching on a bag of potato chips. He was watching some stupid show that was broadcasting on the television and sat comfortably on the love seat in their apartment. Jiho looked away from the television for two seconds, quickly turning his head so he could make rapid eye contact with his girlfriend.

“Yeah?”

Haneul was serious this time; if she ever ends up using Jiho’s full name, then that means she is mad like a dead cow. “Woo Jiho, how many times did I tell you that we’re meeting my parents today? Why are you still dressed in your boxers and a wife beater in the middle of winter? Come on, go and take a shower and get changed. We still have an hour and a half left before we have to meet my parents at the restaurant! Go shower now and oh, wear the tuxedo I bought for you a couple of days ago! Hurry up!”

Jiho was annoyed. Sure he’s met his girlfriend’s parents before, not just once but many times (more than six but less than twenty). Why is it so important that they have to dress all fancy and meet them again? What was the special occasion? It wasn’t like they were going to get married and they are meeting the parents for approval or anything similar to that. Jiho was sure that Haneul’s parents loved and adored him. They even told Jiho that their daughter had finally found the perfect man.

“You never told me.” Hoping that would get him out of the event, even if that meant he had to lie, he would definitely risk it. And Jiho did just that.

He pretended he didn’t know.

Jiho sat on their love seat, a couch for two, and stared immensely at his now lonely white wall. Before their relationship had come to an end, he and Haneul were snuggling up onto one another and enjoying each and every millisecond for they were together and nothing could split them apart. They would gaze at each other lovingly and then reminisce about how they met, their embarrassing moments, and the photos that they captured (both natural and posing ones) which have been hung onto their empty-looking wall. It used to be filled with photo frames of themselves. Now that they have ended their two year relationship, the warmth that used to radiate around the room have left nothing but coldness to Jiho. He was back to being an empty shell. He was all alone now, a single and broken man who is –once more– an independent man.

Step 3: Let It GO

Remember that YOU are the MAN. If she wants to leave, let her go. Never go begging in front of her doorsteps for her to come back to you – it’s stupid. You have a reputation and pride to maintain, got it? If she wants to leave, then let her leave. In the end, she’ll end up crying in front of you, her tears streaming down her face. She will be on her knees begging you please to just take her back. Don’t be a sissy and ask her for forgiveness because she is the one who will ask for mercy. You are the one in charge. You are the one who controls what happens in your life. You are superior. You do not let a woman screw you over. If she wants to leave, don’t try and stop her. She’ll come running back to you and beg you to take her back. Let it go that way.  Be a man.

“I’ve had enough of this, Woo Jiho. I can’t take your any longer. We used to be happy but then I got to know who you really are over these two years. You weren’t the Woo Jiho I met two years ago. You’re no longer the Woo Jiho I love. Maybe… just maybe we were never meant to be in love. Good things always come to an end anyway. I have once loved you with all my heart. But now… I feel nothing for you. Whenever I’m with you, my heart doesn’t beat as fast as it used to. When we are so intimate, I don’t feel the butterflies that I once felt for you. I can’t take it any longer. I can’t be with someone that I no longer have feelings for. I don’t want to hurt you but it is best we take a break from each other.”

Jiho flipped through the photo album that both he and Haneul have decorated. Each and every single page was filled with their love, their passion, and memories that only he and Haneul knew of. Every picture they captured had a story behind it. A close up photo of two hands intertwined - they were on their first date after Jiho had asked her out. Jiho’s palm was feeling sweaty even though it was autumn, with the changing colour of the leaves falling from the trees. Their first date was so cliché, it was at a park. The two were just strolling down the empty trails watching kids play at the playground when all of a sudden Jiho entwined his right hand with Haneul’s left hand. It was a perfect fit – like a missing puzzle piece that has been found and placed where it should have been in the first place.

Then there was a Polaroid shot of the sunset on a beach. Jiho, like any other affectionate boyfriends, took Haneul out on a walk at a beach. They have been dating for almost three months when Jiho surprised Haneul by taking her all the way to a beach out in the country. It was beautiful – both the date and scenery. Haneul couldn’t stop herself from turning light pink to crimson red, blushing at every sweet and unforgettable thing Jiho did to her. He back hugged her, resting his encircled arms around her waist and whispering sweet nothings into her ear. He snuggled his face into the crook of her left neck, gently pushing her long, wavy hair to the right side. The fragrance that her hair radiated off of her had him addicted to the shampoo she used – strawberry flavoured. The scent on Haneul lingered on Jiho, making him crave for more of Haneul because she was too good to be true – she was a keeper. Haneul was like Jiho’s drug; he cannot survive without her. At the end of their journey, they snuggled closely together, wrapping their arms around each other on the sand and enjoying the sunset. Jiho and Haneul stayed like that for hours, even when the night stars have made its grand appearance on stage.

Nothing could have separated the lovebirds.

Why did I mess up? Why didn’t I fix it? Why did I let her go?

He regretted ignoring her, pretending in front of her, and letting her walk out that door to their apartment. He was one step too late.

Now, nothing could fix these broken pieces of glass together.

They were shattered.