Yongguk's (not so) Talent

Getting Stronger With You By My Side

“*yawn* what time is it now, anyway?” I asked myself as I woke up. There was no clock in the room to tell the time.The room was still dark because of the curtains. I rubbed my eyes and stretched my body. As I stopped rubbing my eyes, I saw a tall black figure standing in front of my bed. It looked like a guy but my eyes were still fuzzy that time so I rubbed it again and again.

“Hey, stop rubbing your eyes. It’s not good,” said a sweet voice and I could felt that someone just grabbed my hands from rubbing my eyes. I looked at the figure and still could not see the face. “Who are you? I-I can’t see anything,” I said. “Ah, it is dark in here. Let me opened the curtains.”

As the black figure opened the curtain, the lights entered the room and make the room so bright. I quickly closed my eyes as I was dazzled by the sunlight. “Are you okay, girl?” a guy asked. “Y-ye... I’m fine. Just dazzled by that sunlight,” I told him. When I opened my eyes, I could see the face of the guy.  He was smiling sweetly at me and bowed to me. “Good morning! I guess you had a nice sleep last night, huh? By the way, I’m Yoo Youngjae,” he introduced himself to me. “Ah! Annyeong...” I bowed my head to him. Wait...how did he know my name? I was about to ask him but then someone knocked the door.

“Come in!” I shouted. “Yah, you already awake? That was early. It’s still 7.00 am, you know?” said Yongguk as he entered the room while holding something. “ Y-yongguk-ssi? What are you doing in here?” as I covered myself with the blanket trying to hide my morning face. “I just want to send you some breakfast. It’s not good when you learn with an empty stomach. You know that, right?”

“Learn?? What do you mean by??” my eyes were wide opened and I was really confused about what had happening. “Wait, he didn’t tell you? Since you said that you are worried about your schooling, Youngjae will teach you everything that he knows. He’s a good teacher,” as he patted Youngjae’s back. “Aishh, you make me blushed. I’m not that great but I’ll help her with everything that I could,” said Youngjae with a red face and he rubs his neck while looking at the floor. Then, Yongguk walked towards me with something on his hands. “So, here you go,” said Yongguk as he gave a container to me. “Open it. I hope you like it,” he said while sitting beside me.

When I opened the container, the smell of the food had made me and Youngjae felt very hungry. I could hear Youngjae’s stomach grumbling. “Youngjae-aa... You haven’t had your breakfast?” asked Yongguk with a curiosity showing on his face. “Ah, I did have my breakfast but the smells had make me feel hungry again. Haha,” Youngjae laughed like he was making a joke to Yongguk. I knew that he was hungry that time. His tummy kept grumbling as he looked at the food.

“Youngjae-aah! This is for her. Not you...” said Yongguk. I felt pity when seeing Youngjae like that. So I decided to give it to him. “Here, I guess you can have it, Youngjae. I’ll wait for the nurse to give me breakfast,” I told him as I held the container to Youngjae. Yongguk just took the container from me and said, “No-uhh... He can’t have this. I make this for you and you HAVE to eat it.”

I just kept silent because I didn’t know how to answer him. If I did, we may lead to an argument just because of a breakfast. “Ah, don’t feel bad about it. He just wants you to eat his cooking. If you don’t eat it, all his hard work is just a waste of a time,” said Youngjae as he scrubbed my head.

“Hey, don’t worry about it. I won’t let Youngjae die of hunger, you know? I still got my mercy anyway,” said Yongguk. He took out his wallet and gave some money to Youngjae. “Here you go. Go buy some food for your own now,” he told Youngjae. Youngjae just took the money and went out to the canteen. After that, Yongguk gave the container back to me. “Now, eat it while it’s still hot,” as he helped me to open the container. “Mmm... This smells good,” I said. The aroma was so good and I could feel it in my taste bud although I haven’t had my bite. “Wait till you taste it though,” he smiled and I could see his face was looking forward for me to taste his cooking. I had the fried rice that he made and it taste was SOOOOOOOO....awful.

“G-gukk!?” then I started to cough as the food went deeper into my mouth. “Y-yahh! W-what happened to you?” he asked worriedly and gave me plain water. I quickly drank it to wash the awful taste from my mouth. “Auu, how much salt did you put in there? It’s too salty,” I told him with my frowning head. “R-really? Mian haeyo” he apologized with a disappointment in his face.

I felt bad for saying like that in front of him especially when he done his best for it. So, I tried to comfort him. “Yah, don’t be like that. Everyone will make a mistake once a while. Or maybe more than that..., “I said as I patted his back. I really didn’t know what to say. I’m not a good lecturer or a counsellor. Well, at least I can give him a little bit of an advise.

“Well, I think you’re right...but I guess I’ll never be a good cook,” he said with a long sighed as he covered his face with his hand. “Mmm, you’ll never be good if you tend to give up easily, Bang Yongguk,” I told him.”You just need some experience and practises of course. Like when you learning a dance move for a new music video!” I said with a smile. That time, Yongguk was just looking at me and gave a smiled.

“Yeahh... Guess you’re right. Thanks for the advice,” as he flashed a gummy smiled at me. “So, I guess that you have to wait for the breakfast from the nurse?” he teased me. “Aosshhh! My tummy!! C-can’t bear the pain!!” and I hold my stomach like it was in a real pain. “W-wae!? ____!! What happened to you!?” he asked with a panic expression on his face when he saw me in pain.

“I th-ink...it’s...it’s because of..b-because of........I’m hungry,” I said with a smile on my face and looked at Yongguk. “Yahh!! You got me scared there!” and scrubbed my head and messed my hair. “I-I’m just joking! Aee!!” as I tried to stop him from messing up my hair again.

“Aishhh... What are you two doing?” asked Youngjae while eating ice-cream. “Ah, when did you come?” I asked while brushing my hair with my fingers. “Just while ago. When Yongguk scrubbing your hair,” he smirked. “J-jah! Don’t get me wrong. We’re just playing around,” said Yongguk hesitantly. “Haha, yea yea... I believe you. Here’s some food for you, _____,” as he gave me a boiled-egg sandwich. “I know that Yongguk is not a good cook. So, I brought some for you just for an emergency,” he teased Yongguk. I can saw that Yongguk’s face turned red like a traffic light red signed colour. I chuckled to myself and said,”No, he’s not. I already have a bite and it was FANTASTIC!”

“Really!?” he was in shocked to hear it and was about to try a bite. I gave the food to him and he started to dig up. “G-gukk!?! Pfffftttttt!!! Yahhhhh! Why is it too salty!?” and he was searching for plain water. We just burst into laughter when seeing Youngjae being pranked.  For the first time in my life, this is the best breakfast that I ever had.