#6 Arbitrary

halcyon

I am your shadow, your reflection; I hold upon myself what you hold in you. When your emotions change so do mine, and I don’t know when this all started but your feelings have been mine for as long as I can remember. I am changing, ever-changing, fluctuating and moulding to fit you as best as I can. I am arbitrary, and I am flexible.

 

You are a sad person, and your thoughts comprise worries and doubts. You are an angry person, and your dreams are ugly with harsh black splatters. You are a greedy person, and your desires are always getting bigger and bigger. You are an unforgiving person, and your silence is filled with thick cold vengeance. You are an unhappy person.

I am arbitrary, and I am never happy either.

 

Whatever you do I mimic, whatever you feel I mirror. And you know this is hurting me but I can’t do anything about it and you don’t want to. You are selfish, and sometimes I am selfish too.

But I am arbitrary, and I do not matter.

 

(In this light then these words are not mine, these thoughts do not come from me and the helplessness I feel must not be real.

What is?

For I am arbitrary,

 

and I do not know myself.)

 

Challenge #6 | 05/03/2015

Also inspired in part by Sylvia Plath's 'Mirror' and the invisible lives in 'The Remains of the Day'