Chapter 2

Solo Collection Shots

 

 

The sound of frustrated screams still came from the room, and it was getting hard to concentrate. Not for the tenth time did Hyun Joong wish he'd just left her in the street. Someone would have called an ambulance, and he wouldn't have this headache to deal with. What in the world had possessed him to take her anyways? But then he flashed back to the incident and thought of the second bullet. He knew he'd hit his target. There'd been no doubt. But that other bullet? Whoever had shot it might still be after her, and for some reason, it bothered him. 

 

Crash. 

 

That would be the plate he'd brought her dinner on. Ugh. He ground his teeth and pushed back from the table he'd been organizing papers on. He stalked over towards her room but not before pausing to retrieve a few bottles of soju from the cupboard. Normally it was used to take the edge off whatever pain he might be feeling, but it seemed like a good investment to use up a bottle or two for this. 

 

The screaming stopped before he reached the room, and he almost turned back. Almost. Best to make sure. And so he yanked the door open and strode in. 

 

The first thing he saw was food and bits of plate strewn all over the floor. Then an overturned mug and tray over by the bedside table. His eyes took in the state of the room then flicked over to the bed, where she lay curled up beneath the blanket. She regarded him and then the soju in his hand with hooded eyes. 

 

Hyun Joong stooped to pick up the mug then set it and the soju on the nightstand. Her eyes narrowed as he uncorked a bottle and emptied its contents into the mug. "What now?" she growled. He didn't answer, only continued pouring. When it was full, he turned and held it out to her. "Drink." 
The thought of refusing came to mind, but then his eyes hardened. 
Scowling, she pushed herself up into a sitting position and grabbed the mug. She took a few sips then tried to hand it back. Hyun Joong just crossed his arms and continued to stare at her coldly. Eventually, the cup was drained, and this time he took it back. Her eyes widened as he started to pour a second glass. "What are you doing?" And again the command came. "Drink." 
When it got to the fourth cup, she was asking for it on her own. 

 

"Yah, paliii," she slapped the mattress. She grabbed for the cup and downed the contents in three gulps. "Doh," she wagged a finger at him. "Are you aware this is my . . . sixth glass? Are you trying to drown me?" Hyun Joong only continued to look at her, that serious expression on his face. He studied her for a few seconds before handing her another glassful. 

 

 

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .  

 

 

The soju was almost gone, and still she hadn't knocked out. Hyun Joong looked at her, a hint of amazement on his face. How long could this girl go? She'd been swaying quietly, cradling an almost empty cup and wearing this silly look on her face. It was as if she couldn't decide whether to smile or cry. "Yah. Do you know how much I've gone through this week?!" She ticked it off on her fingers. "First Yon Mi was late with the designs, so I had to keep Mr. Kim from panicking. And then it turns out Yon Mi didn't even put any thought into what she was doing and so Mr. Kim ended up hating the designs anyway - " Hyun Joong smirked and settled back against the nightstand. It was interesting hearing this person talk about such trivial things. He could see nothing at all stressful about what she was talking about, but then maybe he was the wrong person to talk to about that. " - and after I redid them I learned Sookan gave hers to him while I was busy. Ah chincha! She's always trying to outdo me and take my customers. Are you happy, Sookan?? Well you can have him! And good luck trying to satisfy him!" 
She'd been rambling for some time now, getting more and more engrossed in telling her story. And with that last statement, the cup had gone flying towards the adjacent wall. There was a moment of silence, in which Hyun Joong wondered if she was finally finished, however it didn't last long. Her hands were still now, resting in her lap, her eyes trained on them. "And then Jung Min got shot," her voice caught. The tears trailed silently down her face as she wrapped her arms around herself and shivered. 
"I'm drunk," she suddenly said in between sobs. And then still crying, she crawled under the blanket and shut her eyes. 
She fell asleep minutes later. 

 

Hyun Joong stayed a little longer to make sure she was really asleep before quietly exiting the room. He locked the door behind him then looked at his watch and shook his head. He'd wasted too much time listening. Aish this girl. 

 

Maybe he'd go buy more soju tomorrow.