Chapter 2

My Forged Wedding (hiatus)

 

Sohyun: According to the map... it should be this way.
I walked from the market to Uncle's house. I was expecting a residential neighborhood, but I was walking towards Gangnam shopping district. They call it a shopping district, but it's nothing like what I'm used to. It's high end and fashionable place. Do they even have residences here?
 
Sohyun: Long Island... named after the isalnd in New York?
I arrived at the address I'd been looking for. But it wasn't a house, but a sports bar called Long Island. He can't possibly live here. Do I have the wrong address? I looked around, but I didn't see any residences nearby. As I was looking lost, someone spoke behind me.
??: You're not going inside?
Sohyun: Huh?
I turned around and the man was standing behind me. He looked at me with a friendly and approachable smile.
??: Aren't you going in? The bar should be open now.
Sohyun: Yea, but I think I'm at the wrong place.
??: I see. Where did you want to go?
Sohyun: I came to see Bang Minsoo. But I think I have the wrong address.
??: You're looking for CAP? He's probably inside.
Sohyun: CAP? You know my uncle?
??: Uncle? He seems young to have a niece your age.
Sohyun: Oh, he's not really my uncle...
??: Doesn't matter. We'll talk inside. C'mon in!
The man cheerfully opened the door for me. I entered the bar, pushed along by his enthusiasm.
 
Wow. What a fancy bar. There's a huge TV meaning it's a sports bar, alright. I'd never gone to bars like this so naturally I looked around in awe. The man who led me in yelled towards the back of the bar.
??: Hey, CAP. Ther's someone here to see you!
??: Someone?
A man stuck his head out from the counter, and beamed brightly as soon as he saw me.
??: Are you... Sohyun?
Sohyun: Uncle Minsoo?
CAP: I knew it was you, Sohyun! It's nice to see you!
??: Oh, you know each other?
CAP: She's my distant relative! She came from Busan.
??: Oh, that's what she meant by 'uncle.'
CAP: You must be tired. Why don't you have a seat.
At Uncle's urging, I sat down at the counter. Uncle was dressed awfully casual. He was wearing a hat, a shirt and sneakers. This is Uncle Minsoo... I don't remember him like this.
CAP: DId you buy what I asked you to?
Sohyun: Oh, yes. Here.
CAP: Thanks. We ran out of these. I owe you big time.
Sohyun: Is this bar... your company, Uncle?
CAP: No. My company is different from this.
Uncle explained as he put the items I bought on the shelves. 
CAP: I have my employees run the company and this bar is my hobby.
Sohyun: A sports bar?
CAP: Isn't fun to watch sports with lots of people? So I thought, why not open a sports bar?
??: He says lots of people, but it's only a few regulars.
CAP: It doesn't matter. I'm running this bar as a hobby.
Sohyun: .......
Uncle looked and acted like a slacker. I couldn't imagine him running a company. Is he really the president of his own company?  Well, there are many different kind of leaders.... I suddenly felt a little uneasy. In the middle of a bar was a large TV screen. A news report began...
Announcer: In today's news, the booming tech company purchased a major overseas software company. Here's a clip from the press conference by the CEO. 
The screen switched to a video footage. In front of a large crowd of media was... Uncle CAP.
CAP: Thanks for joining us today. I am the Chief Executive Officer of xxx, Bang Minsoo. I'm here today to announce the agreement to purchase. 
NO WAY, THAT'S HIM!
Sohyun: Ha ha. I look good on TV.
He looked respectable in a suit. It's so different from how he looks now.
??: CAP, you look like the president of that company.
CAP: Not just look like. I AM the president!
I can't believe he's the president. You really CA"N"T judge a book by its cover.
CAP: So, Sohyun. I heard you haven't found employement yet.
Sohyun: Yes, that's true. I've been looking for work since I graduated from college.
??: By the way Yoo Changhyun but you can call me Ricky. I'm a comedian.
Ricky grabbed my hand and started shaking it roughly. No wonder he's so friendly. He's a comedian.
CAP: You didn't expect to meet a comedianas soon as you got to Seoul, did you?
Sohyun: No, never in my wildest imagination.
CAP: Anyway, sorry for the short notice.. but there are a few people I'd like you to meet, Sohyun.
Sohyun: Huh?
I looked in the direction Uncle was pointing and saw two men walking into the bar. They have certain air to them... they look successful. Is this a job interview? Uncle gets things moving really quickly!
1st man: Hello. I'm Lee Chanhee but you can call me Chunji.
He was wearing a nice suit and handed me his business card. The card had the name of a large law firm.
Sohyun: You're a lawyer, um Chunji?
Chunji: It's a pleasure meeting you. 
He bowed politely.
2nd man: I guess it's my turn now.
The man who was wearing a white shirt stepped forward.
2nd man: I'm Ahn Daniel but you can call me Niel. I work in the entertainment industry. Sorry, but I'm out of cards today. I've been working in this field for years and I've built quite a name for myself.
CAP: Well, I've introduced you to them. And the others..
3rd man: Sorry I'm late!
The door swung open and someone walked in briskly. Uncled glared at him
CAP: You're late, L.Joe. I told you to be on time.
 
L.Joe: I had to help a weird girl at the market. SO I couldn't get my things done and..
Sohyun: You're the man from earlier!
L.Joe: Huh?
The man looked at my face and his jaw dropped in suprise.
L.Joe: You're the one from the market.
CAP: Oh, you two have met?
L.Joe: CAP, is this the..
CAP: Yea, she's my distant relative.
L.Joe: You gotta be kidding me, he said with a sigh.
L.Joe: What's your name?
Sohyun: I'm Sohyun from Busan and...
L.Joe: I'm L.Joe, that's it.
CAP: There's one more I'd like you to meet.
The door opened slowly and a man entered in.
CAP: Oh, there you are Changjo.
Changjo: Yea.
Ricky: We've been waiting for you.
Changjo: Whatever.
CAP: Sorry, Sohyun. He's a little shy around strangers. He's Choi Jonghyun but you can call him Changjo. That's everyone and they're all my friends ever since we were kids. We're baseball players and play time to time.
Sohyun: Wait, I thought this was a job interview.
CAP: Nope... I'll find you a job. But in return, I have a favor to ask you.
Sohyun: A favor? What's the favor?
CAP: It's, um... I can't tell you unless you accept. He said looking uneasy.
Sohyun: I can't accept something I don't know anything about!
I stood face to face with Uncle, neither of us saying a word. Uncle spoke first.
CAP: Sohyun... I wouldn't ask you to do anything weird, alright? It's a hard task but I believe you can do it and I've known him since we were kids. We need your help, Sohyun.
Sohyun: My help?
I looked at the other five. They were standing there with hopeful looks in their eyes.
Sohyun: If I accept you'll help me with my job problems, right?
CAP: Of course.
Sohyun: If that's the case, then I accept.
The six of them cheered.
CAP: I want you to help L.Joe by......