Even Monitors Detect Feelings

Luhan's Project: Go Nam Yoon

All I remembered was that I was crossing the street, my eyes on my apartment building, and then everything went black as if someone suddenly turned the lights off. 

Then, a golden-haired boy was leaning towards me, and from the smell of medicine, the whiteness of the walls, the not-bouncy bed, the machinese beeping around me, I could tell I was in the hospital.

Oh, please don’t make this one of those dramas where I get amnesia and have to remember every single little thing in my life. I could barely remember lessons from school yesterday.

“AH! You’re awake! So you’re a pranker, huh?” The golden-haired boy leaned back, putting his hands on his hips as I just blinked in confusion at him. I had never seen him before in my life, yet why was he already talking back to me like that?

Who was this guy?!

“You’re not answering, huh? Two can play at that game!” the boy exclaimed loudly, smirking as he just stood there. Silence. I raised an eyebrow with a look that said you’ve got to be kidding me, right? 

Aside from his golden-brown hair, he had doe-like eyes. They were round, and large, especially his pupils. They looked almost...cute in another's perspective. He had a narrow build, but from the way his t-shirt is hugging his torso, as well as his jeans hugging his legs, he had a toned body. 

I realized we were playing a childish game called the Silent Game. Ugh, I had had enough of this.

“Who are you and what are you doing here?” I asked boldly—well, more like mumbled it. Even if I was in a life or death situation, I couldn’t raise my voice, especially to a stranger. The boy pumped his fist in the air in victory.

 

 

“Yay! I win! And for the record, you old lady, I saved your life. So, you’re welcome.” He responded in a haughty voice, blowing the bangs off his forehead arrogantly as he dusted off his shoulder. I narrowed my eyes at him in suspicion.

 

 

“Just call my aunt so I can go home,” I mumbled again, my eyes not leaving the boy for a second. He could be a murderer for all I knew.

“Excuse me? Excuse me? I am not leaving you until my dongsaengs come pick me up and bring me my album and donuts!” the boy whined, crossing his arms together. Something in me kicked in as I heard how he talked to me.

“You need your dongsaengs to bring you back home? Doesn’t that sound pathetic and childish?” I snapped harshly, not caring that he could dominate me due to the needles that were hooked up into my arm. The boy laughed loudly, shaking his head.

“Well, if it wasn’t for you, I could’ve spent a day with them! What about you? Who are you going to spend the day with when I’m gone?” The boy smirked again successfully as I found myself tongue tied. I didn’t know what to respond with, since he had completely baffled me—I ended up just blinking at him, unable to come up with an answer. I sighed and looked away in exhaustion. I didn’t have time for this. I needed to get home. But first, I needed answers.

“How did I get here?” I looked back at him, nodding at him seriously, because I was tired of not knowing how the heck did I end up here as he shrugged, sinking into the armchair beside my bed.

“You were almost hit by a car, I was there and I pushed you out of the way. You hit your head pretty hard though,” the boy leaned in, touching me lightly on the forehead. I shuddered and jerked away from his cold touch, then cautiously looked back at him as he leaned away, like nothing had happened. “And then I had to bring you here. Do you know how hard it is to play Angry Birds and assure someone you saved is alive?” He asked me as if it was a perfectly normal question. I just blinked at him again. If he was a lunatic, I think I had gone crazy too.

I looked away again, not speaking. This was the longest I had spoken to someone ever since I spoke with my aunt.

“I saved your life, but you don’t even thank me. And I know it’s common courtesy to know your savior’s name, as they know yours. Go Namyoon.” I turned my head towards him in alarm as he smiled, snapping his fingers together.

“Bingo.”

I rolled my eyes and looked away again. Who cares if he knows my name?

“I care. But you don’t know mine. I’m Luhan.” My eyes widened as he smiled at me. Luhan? What kind of name is that?

“It’s Chinese. I’m Chinese, but I came here to Korea to visit my dongsaengs,” he explained, nodding wisely as my eyes widened even further. How the heck can he read my thoughts

“Luhan hyung! Luhan hyung, please open the door!” I heard a male voice call out as Luhan jumped to his feet, bounding towards the door and opening it.

“Dongsaeng! You’re here! Did you get my donuts and album?” I heard him ask immediately as I let out a bit of laughter. He really knew the order of his priorities.

“It’s with Baekhyun. Where’s the girl you saved?” I heard another male voice that was even deeper as I sighed, dreading the interrogation that would follow.

“She’s over there, on the bed. She isn’t pretty though. Yay! Glazed donuts! My favorite!” 

“I’m really sorry you’re in this condition. Baekhyun has already called your aunt,” the boy named Chanyeol told me as I nodded absentmindedly, looking over at the machine that was measuring my heart rate.

“It’s good Luhan was there to save you. I hope you’re okay though,” Chanyeol said immediately as I nodded again, not giving him enough answers. He sat on the armchair Luhan had sat on, pulling it closer to the bed.

For some reason, I liked it when Luhan sat on it. He made it look comfortable. When Chanyeol sat there, he seemed to be complaining of how stiff the chair was.

“Are you really alright? Are you hurt like, emotion—”

“Hyung! Her aunt’s coming. She sounded worried, but I told her – Uhm, I don’t know your name,” Baekhyun confessed shyly, blushing as he rubbed the back of his neck. I forced out a small smile that I hoped to assure him.

This is why I hated being around people. I had to pretend that everything was all right, and it seemed like I had to please everyone I meet. And honestly, reading about a fictional character’s struggles was much easier than this.

“Her name is Go Namyoon. What kind of girl has a name like Namyoon? Isn’t that a boy’s name?” I heard Luhan complain as I glanced to my right to see him stuffing his mouth with glazed donuts. I rolled my eyes. As if Luhan is a boy’s name. 

“Yah! It is a boy’s name!” Luhan exclaimed angrily, pointing the end of his favorite album at me as I looked away hastily. I didn’t like the fact that he could read me as easily as reading a book.

“Well, we’ll just go grab a snack. Take care of her first, Luhan hyung,” Chanyeol bid as he stood up, exiting the room with Baekhyun. I sighed happily. They were gone. I could finally frown without anyone asking why.

“Are you hungry?” I heard Luhan ask as I shook my head, the same time as my stomach growled. I blushed, cursing my stomach.

“You are, huh. Here.” In the corner of my eye, I saw him stand up and go over to me, holding out a donut. I just stared at it, my eyes not leaving it. It was easier staring at a donut than at a human.

“Come on, eat it – Oh wait, you probably can’t because your arms have needles in them. Here, I’ll feed you!” Luhan bellowed happily, smiling charmingly as he folded his sleeves upwards, poking my closed mouth with the donut.

“Come on, it isn’t poisonous, see?” Luhan bit a small part in the donut before poking my mouth again with it. I sighed, knowing he wouldn’t give up until he got what he wanted. I opened my mouth just a tiny bit as he jammed the donut in.

“See? It tastes good right?” Luhan asked cheerfully as I glared at him, chewing as slowly as I could. He seemed to notice my look, because he pouted almost cutely.

He stared at me as I casted my eyes down in embarrassment.

“Oh wait, you have something in the side of your lips. Here.” Luhan went back to where he came from, coming back to me with two pieces of tissue. He leaned in and dabbed the side of my mouth, tilting his head from side to side.

My eyes stayed wide as I kept as still as I could. I didn’t want accidents to happen. 

Beside me, my heart monitor started beeping like crazy. 

“Oh? Why is the monitor doing this?! I’ll try and stop it!” 

I wanted to scream “No!” but Luhan was already starting to hit the monitor furiously, trying to stop the loud beeping. 

What I didn’t know was that, from the door that had a small window, someone was staring at us proudly. If I had to guess, I would bet that the person went by the name Aunt Yejin.