Chapter 1.1

Bitter Love

 

For the umpteenth time, Yoseob kick the locked door. He huffed when the door not even budge. He lean on the wall before slide down.

His eyes look around the store room. Yups, store room. He sighs again. Today, it’s been hundreds time he been bullied and locked into this room.  He looks for his phone. Unfortunately, his phone was in his bag and his bag was in the classroom.

“ my 18th years of life.” He curses.

He shove away those stinky wash cloth and brooms away before lie down. And again, he heaves a sigh.

He never knows why but since he went into high school, everyone seems hate him so much. He had been bullied but its worst when Doojoon and Hyunseung –his older cousin- graduated.

He waits and wait and lost count when he fell asleep and suddenly, a bang on the door makes him jumps.

“Seobie? Are you in there?!”

He immediately stood up when he heard the voice of his savior. “Doojoon hyung! Help me out!”

“Step back! I’m going to break the door!”

Yoseob take three steps back and within second the door break open. Doojoon barge in before pull him into a tight hug.

“Are you alright?”

 “If you not let me go now, yes, I’m not going to be alright.” Yoseob said between his struggles to let go off Doojoon arms.

“I’m sorry. I thought… I thought…well. I’m glad you’re alright.”

Yoseob nod before stretch his sore body. “Let’s go home.”

******

When he’s 22, Yang Yoseob is no longer a weak boy. He’s been working hard to be on his own feet. He work hard to make sure Doojoon look at him as a brave, strong boy. Because he really adore his hyung. So much.

He wants to be how his hyung were. Strong, handsome, national boyfriend –according to his bestfriend Jiyeon- and confident on what he were doing.

Somehow, they’ve become close. Especially when he asks for Doojoon advice on how to get a girlfriend. oh, he did get a girlfriend. A GIRL friend. Jiyeon a.k.a IU.

“You’re somehow my gay friend.” She said and that’s hurt Yoseob pride for one whole year.

*****

When he’s 25, he got a job he has been wanting for so long. Landscape designer.  He like his workplace. He can easily get foods and snacks, it’s close to shopping mall for his daily window shopping and the best thing is it’s near to Doojoon’s office.

They went and back to their office together. Every single day. He love everything in his 25th years of life until one day, one his 363th days of working, his grandmother ask him to come to her house.

“I have something to talk.”

He went there and found his parents, Doojoon and his parent chatting on the living room.

“What’s the occasion?” He ask while putting his bag down. He looks at each face on the living room. Curiosity as all eyes are set on him.

“Do you eat?” His mother asks.

“Yeah, with my colleague. What’s with this formality?” He frowns and nudge on Doojoon ribs and mouth ‘What’s up?’

He turn his face to his grandmother when her caress the back of his hand. Softly.

“Okayy, you guys looks suspicious. What’s going on?”

His grandmother took a deep breath. She looks at her daughters, son in laws and Doojoon. They nod.

“We wanted to marry you guys off.”

Yoseob sit silently. Digesting every word she just said.

“What?!”

He abruptly stood up. Looking furiously to the older. Then he turns to Doojoon before plopped on the couch and laugh.

“You guys got me there. I thought you guys were serious. Gosh, you guys should be an actor.”

“I’m serious.”

“Halmeoni.” He smiles like it was a joke. Then his smile vanish.

“You…want me to marry Doojoon hyung? But we’re –“

“I think you guys suit each other. Really. I wouldn’t want random girls or boys take away my baby Seobie.”

His grandmother caresses his cheek but to him, it was like a slap on his face.

“W-Well, of course it’s up to you.”

“I want to talk with Doojoon hyung.”

******

“What was that, hyung?” Yoseob asks once they sit on the bench outside the house.

Doojoon let out a soft sigh. “Why?”

Yoseob cross his arm over his chest. Huffing and ruffle his head roughly.

“hyung, they wanted to marry us off. Don’t you think it’s ridiculous?”

Doojoon lips curve into small smile. He stay silent and listen to Yoseob rambling about the arranged marriage.

“Hyung, what do you think about this?”

This time, Yoseob cross his legs and leans back to the couch.

“What makes it different?”

“If you think it alright then it’s a yes.” He said with the last part he’s laughing.

“But I know you would say no, right? Pfft, what does she think to mar-“

“I would like to try.”

A pregnant moment of silent went on. Both of them staring into each other eyes. There’s tension around them.

“Hyung.”

“She must’ve a good reason.”

“It’s marriage we’re talking about, hyung.”

Yoseob plopped back. His jaw dropped.  “This is not a game, hyung.”

“And I’ve never say it was.”

Yoseob leans back. Huffing and puffing his breath before ruffling his hair. Quietly, Doojoon closer to him. he pat on Yoseob head.

“I’ve never said you had to say yes. If you think it’s ridiculous, then talk to halmeoni. I’ll never force you to do it.”

The elfin man tilts his head. He looks at Doojoon expression. Trying to read what’s beneath the smile Doojoon have flashing. A small smile creep up. He can never read Doojoon like Doojoon read him.

“Don’t your girlfriend say anything? Have you discuss this with her?”

Doojoon chucklesoftly. “Don’t worry about that. Now. Look at the time. I’ve meeting with my friend.”

Doojoon turn on his heel. Walking to the door but stop midway and turn around. “If it’s you, I won’t mind marrying a man.”

Then, he twists the knob and walk out but second later, his head popped on the door.

“Think. Don’t do something you might regret later. Bye.”

Yoseob chuckles before slightly sighing. He leans his head on the arm rest. Blinking his eyes few times.

“Maybe, it’s not a bad idea.”

******

Today is a Family Dine in Day which mean today is the day the Jung family gather and have dinner together. (Yeah, they’re cousin on their mom side)

Everyone was they but the oldest grandson, Yunho. Like another Saturday, the family chitchatting like they haven’t meets for years.

“I’ve something to say.” Suddenly, Yoseob raise his hand. He looks at his relatives. One by one.

 “What is it?” The oldest of their family voice.

“Ne, halmeoni, about the marriage, I’ve made my decision.” He pause and roaming into the room to see if the reaction.

“Go on.”

“I-I’m agree to marry Doojoon hyung.”

They turn their head to Dongwoon when the fork clutter loudly.

“You have anything to say, Dongwoon-ah?”

“N-No, I’m sorry.”

“Sure?”

“Yes, halmeoni.” Dongwoon nods his head. Then their grandmother turn her attention back to Yoseob.

“Yoseob-ah, are you sure about that?

“Very sure. Since my parent, Uncle and Auntie approving, then, I guess that’s the best.”

“Then, we’ll discuss and look for suitable da-“

“Wait.” This time, Doojoon raise his hand. He stare at the younger male before take deep breath.

“Seobie. How about I let you think about it deeply. I don’t want you regret it.”

Yoseob smile to his hyung before shake his head. “I’ve think deeper, hyung. Like you said, if it’s you, I won’t mind marrying a man.”

******

~Two month later~

All preparation is made. From the guest list to the honeymoon destination. All preparation is made without anything left. What’s left is get into the church and exchange vows.

Yoseob feel restless on his bed. Tomorrow is the day. His heart thumping hard and he felt if he opens his mouth his heart will jump out anytime. And what’s worst is his heart start to doubt.

His palm start to sweat. And sudden knock on the door almost make him jump. He turns to the door when a man with a pretty doe eyes popped his head.

“May I come in?”

“Of course. Come on in, Seungie hyung.”

Hyunseung waltz in and sit next to Yoseob. He circles his palm on Yoseob back before lie down on the bed.

“Anything to share?”

Slowly, Yoseob slump his shoulder and lie down too.

“Hyung, you’re man lover, right.”

Hearing the term, Hyunseung let out his infamous laugh. Making the younger laugh too.

“What man lover? That’s not even the correct term. But yeah, I am. Why?”

“Have you…you know…?”

“Well, that’s not really something we should ask openly, aren’t we?”

Hyunseung and Yoseob laugh together but then Yoseob turn on his side facing Hyunseung. “Hyung.”

“Yes?”

“Is it hurt?”

There’s pregnant moment of silent before Hyunseung sit up. “Is that what you’re afraid of?”

“Well, yeah. I’m so sure I’ll be the one taking the girl role. Since its Doojoon hyung we’re talking about.” Hyunseung chuckles as he could see Yoseob fighting back the urge to roll his eyes.

“Do you need an honest answer r I should lie a bit?” Hyunseung said making the face.

“Well, to be honest, Yoseob-ah, it does hurt. Especially for non – man lover, like you.”

Yoseob scrunch his face and punch softly on Hyunseung shoulder. “Can’t you make it sound less pain than that?”

Hyunseung chuckles before raise his index finger. “But, but it’s also depends on your partner.”

Hyunseung laugh as Yoseob cringe. The elfin male let out a small moan that almost sound like a whimper. Slowly, Hyunseung wrapped his arm around his younger cousin.

“Don’t worry, Seobie. Doojoon is the gentle man I’ve ever known, aside of my lover, of course. He will never hurt you. No matter what.”

Soon after, they were wrestling on the bed and laugh out loud like they used to when they’re child. After they out of breath, they stop and Hyunseung excuse himself. But before he could stand up, Yoseob hold his wrist in a firm grip.

“Hyung, I’m scared.” He looks down on the floor. Hoping the floor could swallow him up right there.”

Hyunseung nudge on Yoseob rib. Softly.

“Don’t. He’s not a monster. Now, go to sleep. You need to look fresh tomorrow.”

Yoseob sighs before nodding. “Good night, hyung.”

“Good night.”

Yoseob staring at the door eventhough the door closed. He lifts his hand and wipes his sweating palm. Then, he stares at the ring that tides him and Doojoon for almost two month.

‘Hyung, I don’t want to do this. I can’t.’

******

He straightens his crook bow. Smiles nervously to everyone in the hall.

“Thank you for coming.” He said to the new guest. Once a while he’s checking up his wrist watch.

“Doojoon.”

He turn around as someone calling his name.

“Ne, halmoni?”

“It’s time, go and wait there. I’ll get Yoseobie.”

“Ne.”

He takes a deep breath before walk through the aisle to the front of the hall. He flash his smile to the guest and thanks to everyone that manage to pat his back.

He stood still in front of the priest while chat with his cousins when suddenly Dongwoon, his little cousin, wave his hand to Doojoon. Gesturing him to follow him.

Hesitantly, he steps of the aisle and follows Dongwoon to where Yoseob’s suppose to be.

“Hyung, whatever happens, you need to be strong.” Doojoon frowned to that. He glances at his cousin and trying to read his expression but he couldn’t understand. He wants to ask but he shrugs the thought.

They walk fast to Yoseob’s room and Dongwoon stop the moment they reach in front of the room. He took a deep breath and glance to Doojoon before give him a sorry smile and gesture him to get inside.

Slowly, Doojoon reach the door knob. The moment he’s twist the knob, he start to feel uneasy. Slowly, he pushes the door open to found his mother and his aunt - Yoseob’s mother – were crying while his grandmother faint on the bed.

“What’s happening?!” He asks, running to his grandmother.

“Is she alright?”

Instantly, he looks around.  “Where’s Yoseob?!”

He turn to Dongwoon. “Where’s Yoseob?”

Dongwoon took another deep breath before took a small piece of paper on the floor and hand it to Doojoon. His heart starts to pump hard. He thinks he knew what’s happen. He took the paper nevertheless and read it.

Doojoonie,

I’m so sorry. I’m not ready to get married. Let alone to be a husband of a man. We’re not gay to begin with. I hope you’ll find someone better to be your wife. A girl, I mean.

Yoseob

And that moment, he feels, his heart shattered. His hands slumps to his side.

“And what do you know, Seobie.”

******

~5 Years Later~

“I’m so sorry, Doojoon-ah.”

Doojoon sighs. It’s like a ritual every Saturday morning. Every time he spends time at his grandmother house, she will never forget to say it. To say that she were sorry.

“Halmeoni, didn’t I said it’s alright. It’s not your fault.”

Slowly, pearls of tears dripping on her cheeks. “If I try harder, maybe he-“

“Halmeoni.” He said in warning tone. He reaches on the old lady cheeks. Wiping the tears away. He sighs again when he see the wrinkles on her skin.

“That was his decision. He’s not ready to be a man’s husband.”

And another beads of tears dripping. Doojoon crunch his nose. “Now, now, what did I said?”

She’s cry-lauging. Wiping the trace of tears left.

“Don’t cry when you want to eat my bibimbap.”

“Good. So, now sit down because I can smell food monster is waking.”

Both of them laughing as at the same time he said that Dongwoon comes down and trip on the last stair. The grandmother hurried run to his grandson.

“Ouch, ouch, halmeoni, the stair pulls my legs.” He whines. Pretending like he’s crying. Then his grandmother squat on his side and pat on his.

“Aigoo, why is this stair making my baby Woonie trip like this? Is he jealous of my Woonie’s long legs?” The three of them laughing before Dongwoon squatting and smile to his grandmother.

“Halmeoni. Hop up.” He said. Ready to pick his grandmother up but the old lady refuses.

“Halmeoni.” He whines but end up pick his grandmother bridal style to the table. And another laugh echoed on the room once he put her down. Dongwoon take a seat next to Doojoon and dig in the food.

“Dongha hyung send his regard. He and his wife said sorry that they can’t come. Noona’s feet are swelling.” Dongwoon said while shoving his food in. and for that he earns a soft smack on his head.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full.”

Dongwoon about to argue back when the door bell ringing.

“I’ll get it.” He announces. He twisted the knob and the person in front him makes him surprised.

“I’m back.”













I'm so sorry for the late update. i can hardly get through the internet. so please be patient to my 'snail' update. Thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting. ^^