Meeting

Thirst

 

 

 

CHAPTER TWO

Meeting

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 

Clenching his fist, Lee Hongki bowed before the humans and vampires sitting on their cushioned seats, eyeing him warily. The moment he stood straight, his eyes immediately went to throw a sharp glare in the direction where the professor who introduced him is sitting, smiling to everyone in the crowd before looking at him, her brilliant smile turning into an awkward one when she noticed the annoyance in the human’s eyes. Hongki averted his eyes from the professor and roamed the faces of the audience instead. As expected, their faces changed from an uninterested one to that of varying masks.

There’s a distinct difference as to how both races looked upon him since humans were looking at him with hatred blossoming from the fact that the vampire hunters escaped during the Black Rose, ignoring their duty to protect humanity from the vampire’s sharp claws. It was true that such event did happen, although Hongki’s family certainly didn’t do the same.

He gritted his teeth at that. His family was one of the best vampire hunters there is, and yet to the hands of such a young pureblood, they had died. It was insulting enough that the family had died in the hands of what they were supposed to consider as prey but what’s grinding Hongki was the fact that his family was killed by the same hands who used to caress his face softly, as if he were a fragile glass that could easily break the moment you press hard.

And while his own kind is staring at him in such a way that could send him to the deepest corners of the earth hiding, the vampires’ usual serene and emotionless façade were wearing eager masks, their eyes that were supposed to be haughty and bored now filled with fervor.

Sighing inwardly, Hongki started for the stairs, the crowd suddenly suffocating him until his eyes caught on someone achingly familiar. Seated on the third row, in between two other vampires, is the man that had caused his ten years of agony.

Perhaps it is because he’s a pureblood but Choi Jonghun had always been more beautiful than other vampires. He wears the same bored, uninterested expression on his perfectly sculptured face just like how he looked eleven years ago, sitting atop a rock by the stream, unmoving. The vampire’s dark eyes wandered about his face for a moment before turning to the man seated on his right, completely dismissing him. Annoyed, Hongki went to the stairs and clenching his fist tightly, he threw another glance at his former friend, the vampire staring back at him with an unreadable expression on his beautiful face, before finally disappearing behind the stage.

 

 

Lying on the green grassy football field in the middle of Knight University, Hongki stared at the cobalt blue sky, purely dominated with fluffy white clouds. He had expected to meet Jonghun in this university before even enrolling. The Association has the master list of all students enrolled in the university and he had read them, not knowing at the time what had caused him to do so. When his eyes fell on that overly familiar face, Hongki was surprised and was filled with sudden anger that while he was in hiding, fearing that the vampires would get to him next, the bastard who had killed his family is allowed to stroll around, and is even treated like some royalty.

For ten years, he had hated him. And yet that day… ten years ago…

Ignoring the branches of trees that roughly hit his young face, Lee Hongki continued to run as fast as he can while silent tears fell from his eyes. He tripped, he fell, and yet he continued to scamper away from what he had just seen. His heart refused to believe what he had witnessed; even willing him to go back and demand an explanation but his mind was made up. What he saw was real. Earlier that day he had been warned that a vampire was chasing his brother and that his parents came to rescue. He just didn’t expect that vampire to be the boy he learned to love despite their differences.

He stopped for a moment when his feet stumbled upon a huge rock and cried. With nowhere to go and no family to turn to, he knew he’s all alone. Hongki laid on the dirty ground, with his right arm on top of his eyes, silently weeping. He had lost all reasons for living, might as well let a vampire finish him off too.

With that in mind, he ignored the nearing footsteps, and remained still, until a hand rested on his arm.

“Young man, who had caused you to give life up?

He removed his arm from his eyes and raised a teary eye on the man standing above him, looking at him with worry on his face. The stranger kneeled beside him and showed an ID. “I’m part of the Vampire Hunters Association. I know your parents well.” The man observed his expression and stood up. “Tell me the name of the vampire who killed your family.

The boy’s eyes widened. He knew he could tell this man and he would finish the pureblood for him but he couldn’t bring himself to say his name. He couldn’t afford to think that that utterly beautiful boy could die in the hands of this stranger. He couldn’t because he despite everything, he still loves that person.

Closing his eyes, Hongki sighed. Until now, the reason behind that childish action still eluded him. He wants answers to all of his questions, and at the same time, he fears that the truth could hurt him twice than before. The moment his eyes landed on Jonghun’s face, he also knew, that the feelings he harbors for the vampire hasn’t faded one single bit.

Well, he couldn’t talk to him now. He can’t just walk up to Jonghun and ask him questions, not when the difference between their kinds is now more apparent because after the war ended, the vampires dismissed humans as lower classes of beings, nothing more than a slave of the war, weak. Even the vampire’s leader Kim Heechul had openly expressed his strong belief that humans are not supposed to be treated as an equal.

Knight University, the university he is now enrolled in is one of the few schools who would practice impartiality among the two races. However, as Hongki expected, not everyone would abide by that rule. Even in the university, he knew that vampires always look down on humans and that the latter always held vampires in high regard.

It is, evidently, the result of being the losers of war. And for ten years, humanity has accepted it as fact.

 

 

Choi Jonghun silently walked along the wide corridors of Knight University’s main building, completely ignoring the humans and vampires alike gaping at him in awe. He was used to it enough that he could feel disgust creeping into his senses at the sight of humans practically throwing themselves in his way just to get a little amount of attention from him.

How he wish that the task he was supposed to accomplish could be done in one snap. His jaws clenched when he thought of his job. He repeatedly told Seunghyun he doesn’t want the job but the stubborn vampire wants him to do the task. At first glance, you would think the mission was easy. But for a year, he still can’t find the Japanese doctor Seunghyun asked him to look for.

“Good morning, Jonghun,” greeted a human boy in his first year, huge eyes filled with admiration.

Like what he usually does every day, he ignored the boy and continued walking in big steps. The boy trying to keep his pace beside him spoke and it was the first time that a word from this boy’s mouth had captured his interest.

“Did you know that human Lee Hongki? The newcomer?” the boy asked eagerly, studying his face, hoping to elicit some response. But Jonghun, interested as he is, remained cool and pretended the matter brought up was nothing. The boy apologized before continuing, “I know humans don’t interest you much, but I heard that some nobles were cornering the boy yesterday saying that Lee Hongki’s blood smells so good.”

Jonghun stopped on his tracks and directed an icy glare at the boy who cringed at such look. “Do I look like I care?”

Looking down, the boy fidgeted on the hem of his red shirt and apologized. “I thought that such fragrant blood could interest you.”

Scoffing, Jonghun dismissed the boy and walked in a faster pace leaving the boy gawking. The first time Hongki stepped on Knight University, it is obvious on the vampire’s faces the eagerness they feel just thinking about making the newcomer their new plaything. It is, after all, the trend in the university. Vampires command, humans obey. And although he had thought of leaving Hongki alone, knowing that the latter would prefer not having any contact with him at all, he just couldn’t dismiss what he had just heard. Because despite what had happened between the two of them, he still bear feelings for Hongki and he couldn’t afford to let his love suffer at the very least. Not by humans, not by vampires, not even himself.

 

 

“I said let go!” yelled Hongki, shaking the hand of yet another vampire off his arm. Since yesterday, vampires had been trying to corner him and make him their past time. And although he had been able to defend himself from the other, this vampire is much stronger than the others, who obviously came from a noble upbringing.

The vampire held Hongki’s arm and went behind him, twisting his arm as the vampire do so. Snickering to himself, the vampire grazed its teeth on Hongki’s delicate skin in the neck, its eyes turning from a dark brown to a deep red, lips curling to reveal a pair of sharp, ivory colored fangs.

Hongki struggled against the creature to no avail. How he wished desperately for his anti-vampire weapon to be here. He thought of piercing the man’s skin but knowing that vampires have accelerated healing, he knew it’s ineffective. He tried jabbing the vampire’s stomach but the creature won’t even flinch. Hongki froze when he felt something sharp grazing his skin and readied himself to be bitten when miraculously; the vampire’s arms around him disappeared into dust.

He spun around and saw Choi Jonghun standing before him, his gleaming red eyes glaring at the pile of dust on Hongki’s feet. “You don’t deserve to be called noble,” the pureblood spat before raising its eyes on Hongki.

Frozen, Hongki continued to look at the dust that was a living being just a while ago before turning to the man who saved him a while ago. “You killed him,” he mumbled shakily.

Jonghun snorted and spoke in an unfeeling tone. “His family can afford to restore him.”

Hongki’s eyes turned sharp and threw daggers at Jonghun. “Is that how you felt when you killed my family?” he seethed, gritting his teeth.

Giving him a long look, Jonghun sauntered forward and caressed Hongki’s cheek to the latter’s surprise. “How I wish you could believe me when I finally have the courage to tell you.” After those words, Jonghun vanished into thin air, displaying the vampire’s ability to walk in a pace seemingly same as the speed of light.

 

 

“Lost?” asked a voice from behind him.

Hongki whirled around, seeing that the voice came from a boy taller than him by a foot. He stood straight four feet from him, smiling openly as if he’d known Hongki all his life. He’s wearing a plain white shirt, a pair of skinny jeans and a pair of red sneakers. The boy’s hair is ruffled, as if he hadn’t combed his hair since waking up. His eyes were kind of huge but have a friendly glint in them.

The boy’s smile grew wider. “Hello,” was the soft greeting. The stranger walked towards Hongki and drew his right hand out. “I’m Jung Yonghwa.”

Hongki looked at the boy closely, recognizing him as a human, before shaking his hand. “Lee Hongki,” he said flatly before pulling away from the boy and looking around for the classroom he was supposed to be.

“I think you’re lost,” Yonghwa said, trying to peek on the registration form he holds in his hands. “May I see?”

Thinking the boy might help him; Hongki gave the paper and waited for the boy to reply. “Ah, we belong to the same class for Vampire Studies, nice!” Jung Yonghwa grinned at him and while making a thumbs up. “Come, I’ll show you to our classroom.”

He followed behind Yonghwa, thinking the university is very elegant-looking. Knight University is known to be one of the leading universities and is one of the few who accepts human applicants. This university sure is prestigious. The interior design screams luxury.

“Here we go,” said Yonghwa, gesturing his palms towards a classroom. Blinking, Hongki went to stand beside the boy and looked inside. The classroom looks just like a typical classroom setting: students are all doing different things, some are reading books, others chatting—except that it is huge.

 “Uh-huh,” Hongki muttered, looking around for an empty seat. Yonghwa went to sit at the chair beside the window. He already has a neighbor. In fact, all the tables are filled but one. Next to the center aisle, Hongki recognized Choi Jonghun by his perfectly combed hair, sitting next to that single open seat.

He walked down the aisle to introduce himself to the professor and get his slip signed before walking to the empty seat beside Jonghun. He dropped his bag on the floor and stared straight ahead, not wanting any eye contact with the person sitting beside him, but saw from the corner of his eyes how Jonghun stared at him warily for a second before focusing his eyes in front, his long fingers tapping quietly on his table.

Hongki flushed when he remembered how Jonghun’s hands felt on his skin. It was colder than the normal temperature but he always finds it very comforting. He winced inwardly at his thoughts and shook his head subtly.

The professor stood up and introduced herself as Miss Kang Mira before introducing the subject. “We are going to discuss the history of vampires beginning with the Kim family, and then from then on, we will discuss everything according to the course outline I put on your table.”

He looked down on his table and found a sheet of paper underneath it. He scanned the whole content and listened to their professor discuss the subject before dismissing them an hour later. The students scurried to the door, excitedly chatting to themselves. Hongki stood up and picked up his bag, noticing Jonghun staring up at him from his seat.

“Hongki!” called Yonghwa, breaking their eye contact. Hongki forced himself to smile at the boy. “What’s your next class Hongki?”

Blinking, he glanced at the chair beside his, a slight disappointment filling him after seeing it vacant. He turned to Yonghwa. “I have Humanities.”

The boy clicked his tongue and was about to say something when they heard a noise from behind. It was Jonghun who was still arranging his things and dropped a pen while doing so. He gazed up at the two humans with his usual uninterested look before quickly going out the door.

“That was odd,” Yonghwa murmured to himself.

Eyebrows raised, Hongki directed his eyes at Yonghwa and saw the puzzled look is the other’s eyes. “What is?”

“He usually is the first to evaporate from the class. It is odd that he stayed that long.”

“You know him?” Hongki asked, staring at the door, not sure if Jonghun really passed through it since vampires move in such a lightning pace.

Chuckling, Yonghwa started for the door, waiting for him to catch up. “I don’t think there’s anybody in this school who doesn’t know him.”

“Ah.” Hongki nodded, pretending to not know the man they were talking about. He doesn’t want anybody to know that he has a connection with Jonghun.

Yonghwa continued. “His family is very powerful. If you rank vampire families, Kim Heechul’s would be the first and Choi Jonghun’s the second.” The boy shrugged, now at the door, holding it open for him and closing it shut when they finally got out. “And there’s his good looks of course. He can charm anyone he likes.” Yonghwa grinned. “But it was rumored that he is Kim Heechul’s lover.” There must be something in Hongki’s eyes that made Yonghwa said the next sentence. “Ah, but that is just a rumor of course.”

He should stop feeling very interested upon hearing Jonghun’s name. If he would keep doing this, he wouldn’t survive Knight University. All he should ever feel for Jonghun is plain hatred, nothing else.

“But you know, there’s this boy that is always following Jonghun,” Yonghwa said thoughtfully staring at the ceiling, pausing from walking. Hongki stopped too and looked at the boy. “I think his name was Jin?”

Frowning, Hongki stared at Yonghwa and shrugged. “I have class.” He started walking but Yonghwa suddenly snapped his fingers.

“Jonghun calls him Jin! His name is Lee Jaejin!”

Hongki froze on his place, his eyes widening while his heart pounded loudly against his chest.

He couldn’t be alive, could he?

 

~8~

 

Author's Note:

Whoo! I made it to the dealine. But wow, it's so short.  I know, I know. I myself am disappointed for having no progress in this chapter but I'll do better next time. I'll make this more interesting for you.

Anyway, leave a comment, will you? Even a single 'hi' is loved. I'll see you next time! Love you!