Run

Dandelion

 

 

 

 

Sunny weather in California, seven years old Stephanie is playing alone in a large garden surrounding a hospital. She likes going to the part where a bunch of flowers were planted. The flowers are beautiful especially the pink ones, the color that makes her happy all of a sudden. She's never tired picking those flowers for her beloved mother everyday.

 

Her eyes lock to a flower where bloom has seeded and is in the fluffy,  feathery condition. It looks like a ball. Little Stephanie has seen it in television, she doesn't know the name of the flower, but she knows the white little feathers will off to fly with just one blow.

 

So she tries it. The little girl collects her breathe and blows it hard, and yes they're flying freely. Her smile couldn't leave her face. What else could be more exciting than seeing the seed head to fly into the blue sky. But her smile soon faded as she couldn't find another one to blow.

 

"Stephanie!!" A nurse called out her name.

 

She turns and waves her hand happily to her.

 

"Your mommy is looking for you." The nurse smiles seeing the little girl's eyes shaping half-moons instantly.

 

 

Tiffany opens her eyes. She's been napping on her table in the classroom, a thirty minutes napping during lunch break. She groans as the mid day sun stares at her spreading its heat through the window. She's straightening her posture, to be able hiding herself in shadows. Lazily, she rubs her eyes with fingers, leaning back on her seat to notice the empty classroom, except herself and a person standing a foot away for her to be surprised.

 

"Mrs Kim has a meeting today, I've been ordered to bring your apology papers to her before dismissal." Says the girl wasting no time, expressionless.

 

Tiffany let out a crooked smile, she keeps her position while looking up at the other girl, in an unpleasant way.

 

"You don't have to look for her, just hand it to me if you're don.."

 

"Here, I'm done with the papers. Take it." Tiffany cuts in, nonchalantly.

 

The girl notices the slightest hint of anger in Tiffany's tone, she refuses to give any response as she remains her expression before taking the papers and making her way to leave.

 

"If it wasn't for Mrs Kim, you wouldn't want to talk to me, would you?"

 

Tiffany's voice is audibly sharp, enough to make the other girl pauses from walking. Nothing but a silent treatment, that is. The girl maintains her back facing position but says nothing.

 

"You don't even want to look at me." Tiffany laughs bitterly, the slighest hope for the girl would at least say a word to respond vanishes the moment she continues to let her feet stepping out of the door. And to think they both used to be friends before, best friends.

 

Taeyeon leans on the outside wall with eyes closed, heaving a sigh. She seemingly careless in front of Tiffany, but deep down inside she was unsure of how to react, she knows Tiffany was hurt because of it. They both been hurt.

 

 

***

 

 

"There are so many places in Seoul that you and Krystal haven't been, I was thinking we could visit Lotte World this weekend. It is really fun unnie. My mom said you both should come to our house for dinner, and since we live in the same city now, better sleepover more often, just like when we were kids. We had been separated for so many years unnie, a lot of things I wanted to do with you and Krystal again... Unnie...? Sica unnie?"

 

"Huh?" Jessica wakes up from her thoughts turning her head facing her cousin mindlessly.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

"Um.. Yeah..." She blinks her eyes a few times turning back her vision towards the entrance of cafeteria, earning a puzzled look from Nicole.

 

"Are you waiting for someone?" Nicole asks again following Jessica's gaze at the door.

 

"N.. No, why?" The brunette tries making a natural expression. Luckily, her cousin isn't as sharp as Krystal in terms of sensing things that aren't normal in Jessica's act.

 

"Aahh.. I know. Unnie must be waiting for Taeyeon unnie. You really don't have much friends here, do you? I heard from Krystal you were a loner in this school." The younger girl giggles.

 

Jessica looks at Nicole more serious. "Krystal said what? A loner? Me?" She raises her voice while pointing at herself in disbelief.

 

"Don't worry unnie, if Taeyeon unnie is busy, you still have me." Says Nicole proudly.

 

Of course Jessica knows Taeyeon is busy, that shorty has so much responsibilities to fulfill for being a class representative. And how dare her own sister said she was a loner when there were hundreds of love letters from boys already rejected by her since the first day she became part of this new school.

 

"Should I say thank you then?" She scoffs.

 

"Naahhh.. No problem."

 

The older girl holds the table with both hands as she gets up while shaking her head, taking her direction leaving the cafeteria. "I'm going to toilet."

 

"The toilet is over there." Nicole points her finger towards the other way.

 

"I'm taking the one upstairs." Jessica doesn't look back as she continues to walk straight to the door.

 

"Don't forget the dinner tonight. I'll be waiting at the front gate after dismissal unnie."

 

She just waves a hand signaling an 'okay'.

 

 

***

 

 

Jessica enters the restroom, she grins to see much less students inside compared to the one in cafeteria. She turns the faucet washing her hands while checking herself in mirror, once again the image of Tiffany and Gyuri runs through her mind. Earlier that day in class, she would spare them a glance once in a while. The way Gyuri looked at the other girl with those small flirting gestures, they were a bit unusual in Jessica's eyes. And how Tiffany would give a smile in response, it bothered her a little.

 

What kind of relationship between them? It couldn't be...

 

She shakes her head trying to stop thinking about it, splashing water on her face. Whatever they are, it has nothing to do with her anyway. She lifts her hand to a metal box on the wall and finds it empty.

 

What the..? No paper towels?

 

Jessica curses inwardly, tracing a finger into her pocket for something to wipe, but she gets nothing.

 

"You might need this."

 

She jumps at the sudden voice behind, barely keeping her balance as she holds on the sink before turning around to see Tiffany offering a handkerchief.

 

"Did I scare you?" The black haired girl just laughs at her clumsiness.

 

"Yes!!" Jessica spits, putting a hand on her chest calming down her rapid heartbeat. "Why you always standing at someone's behind without breaking a sound?"

 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." Tiffany chuckles. "Here."

 

Hesitantly, the brunette takes the cotton material. She gently wipes off the liquid from her face, continuously breathing in the strawberries scent of Tiffany's pink handkerchief that dances through her nose.

 

"Thanks."

 

"You haven't told me your name." Tiffany smiles.

 

"Jessica."

 

"I'm Tiffany."

 

"I know, heard it from Mrs Kim this morning."

 

Tiffany pauses, an awkward moment. She is fully aware this new girl knows exactly where she went those days when she was absent. They just met yesterday on the roof, enough witness that Tiffany had been in school but not in class.

 

"I made a show, didn't I?" A question that doesn't need an answer.

 

The brunette furrows a questioning brow, it takes her a while to finally understand what Tiffany was referring to.

 

"You did it on purpose. Why?"

 

Jessica sees her smile no longer a bright one. It turns to bitter, slowly.

 

"Those teachers, they don't treat me like they do to others."

 

Jessica had thought about it earlier, if it were other students in Tiffany's case, it wouldn't be just writing an apology statement that simple, their parents would have been dragged along immediately in teacher's office.

 

"You're special, I guess."

 

Her words are simple, Jessica means just as simple, the eye smile girl is a top-notch. But Tiffany likes to think otherwise, the word 'special' has another meaning for her, something that is much more complicated.

 

"Perhaps I am, but not in a nice way." Her husky voice echoing against the walls. "I don't have good reputations, just so you know."

 

The sentence leaves Jessica a confused expression. She couldn't tell what exactly the other girl was saying, she couldn't read her. They just knew each other, she couldn't ask something personal either. Tiffany is just as mysterious indeed.

 

They stare at each other and stay like that for a while. The restroom's already empty, and none of them is to break the silence surrounding until Tiffany leans a little closer parting to speak.

 

"You didn't show up on the roof this morning." She begins softly.

 

"Were you waiting for me?" The brunette whispers in the same tone. She couldn't resist a pink tinge in her face as she remains her position, hoping the handkerchief could shield against Tiffany's stare.

 

"Would you believe if I said yes?"

 

"Why?"

 

The door's open suddenly, causing both girls to back off. Some juniors coming in, chatting and loud giggling. Tiffany turns to face a sink pretending she was about to wash her hands. Only when they already shut themselves in stalls, she pushes herself much closer, slightly brushing her lips over Jessica's ear before exiting the restroom calmly without looking back.

 

"I'll tell you why if you reveal yourself up there, after school."

 

 

***

 

 

Jessica tries to concentrate in class. For the first time in her life she feels like the time goes extremely slow, their last two subjects take forever until dismissal to arrive. She feels uncomfortable, especially after she caught Gyuri and Tiffany so close with each other, sometimes Gyuri would do a small physical contact by tracing her fingers onto Tiffany's hand up to her cheek and hair. This happened the moment she stepped in the class after their last encounter in the restroom. Jessica just let out a scoff seeing the eye smile girl didn't seem to mind it.

 

Is Jessica jealous? No, why would she jealous? It's not her business though, but if Gyuri and Tiffany are that close, then she shouldn't meet Tiffany on the roof. What if Gyuri was invited too? No. That's certainly a big no-no to the brunette. Heck, people know Jessica and Gyuri don't like each other. Definitely no!!

 

She's checking on her wristwatch, four minutes before dismissal and she has made up her mind. She decides to just storm out of the class without looking back and meet Nicole at the gate, preparing herself to enjoy a lovely dinner with her cousin's family. Don't blame her for being childish though, she's just seventeen years old, it's definitely normal for her age acting this way.

 

Yes, finally the bell rings for the end of the day. Quickly, she cleans up her table, putting all the stuff into her backpack, and taking her last glance at Tiffany which she later regrets it at the same time. The eye smile girl let out a smile as warm as the morning sun, a sign that she will wait for the brunette to appear on the roof.

 

Jessica is confused. Yet again she is drowning in this overwhelming feeling. She's never acted like this before, she's never had this kind of feeling before. What is this feeling? She moves a hand to her chest, the pounding heart is as fast as the moment where Tiffany's face was so close to hers earlier in the restroom.

 

"I'll tell you why if you reveal yourself up there, after school."

 

And Jessica shakes her head as she comes back to reality. What a stupid thing she was pulling herself into. She looks away, setting down each of her feet in turn, heading to the door hastily. Still with what she decided, going home with her cousin.

 

She walks down the stairs ignoring the noisy sound surrounding causing by other students, they always that happy after all the depressions from class after class everyday. Jessica couldn't find herself in the same mood with them. She stops in the mid way, stares off into space and wonders what the hell she's doing. The gate is just a few meters away. She could see clearly Nicole is standing there waiting and the car must be ready.

 

But Jessica is still confused. Her mind is battling her heart. It takes her three minutes and forty seconds to finally let her body turning around, stepping slowly at first to the opposite way, then her steps become fast and faster.

 

She runs to the building, going up to the roof.

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

A/N : Yaayyy an update!!!

I want to say thank you for my readers who's commenting and subscribing. And also my apologize for some grammar errors since English isn't my first language, but I do hope you understand what I was trying to express in my stories.

For those who thought Tiffany was a ghost, I'm sorry to disappoint you. No, she's not a ghost. She's a human just like you!!

And also don't forget to leave a comment about the image above. It took me 3 hours and 37 minutes to finally done with the editing. I'm a big dummy in using photoshop, but I do hope you like it.

See you in the next chapter, ciaoooooo.........