Mysterious

Dandelion

 

 

 

When Jessica was young, she would like to play house and dolls in the backyard of her old house back in the states. They had large green backyard designed beautifully by her own mother.

 

She wasn't alone.

 

Back then they were a normal happy family. She would play on a swing with her mother in the afternoon, or Krystal would tag along with their barbies and all sorts of little girl games. In weekend they would go hide and seek with her father, her favorite place to hide was always behind a shrub allowing Mr Jung to catch her easily. Sometimes they would do a barbecue family dinner with the other Jungs, her uncle and his family.

 

Jessica was happy, she used to spend her birthday happily every year with all the Jungs in their backyard, until she was ten and Krystal was only five. Mr Jung decided to enlarge business. Not long after her uncle was assigned to go overseas, her mother joined their company to help.

 

She started to feel lonely. Her parents never showed up again for her piano plays at school and even her graduation ceremony. They barely reveal themselves in their so called 'home', let alone her birthday. All she received was just a phone call with an expensive present plus a greeting card. Whenever her parents say sorry, she just nodded and gave a silent treatment. But what else could she do?

 

The roof garden offers a warm feeling, it reminds her so much of the place she used to be really happy once.

 

 

"I'm sorry if I..."

 

"No, please don't be." The girl shakes her head. She rolls the pink round rubber over her palms, still with same expression, bright eyes and warming smile. "I'm glad someone came."

 

Jessica notices a school bag resting on the wall next to the door, there's a stool placed on the farthest corner.

 

She was sitting there when I came. No wonder.

 

She chuckles inwardly recalling of how herself was too overwhelmed by the beautiful roof garden to realize there was a person sitting behind that open door.

 

"Do you usually come to school so early?" The eye smile girl asks while stepping near the bench calmly and brushing her fingers to the wooden back rests.

 

"No, I'm a heavy sleeper." Jessica states as the matter of fact.

 

"Why?"

 

Once again Jessica caught herself captivated by those gorgeous eyes staring at her so attentively, she tries to look at somewhere else in a bit more natural way.

 

"Because I wanted to see this tree closer." She replies simply, making her vision up to the thousands of leaves, unfully hiding both of them from sunlight.

 

"Did it attract you that much?"

 

The girl's black eyes stare deeply into Jessica's, as if she's trying to figure out what the other girl is thinking, as if she cares about how Jessica's feeling.

 

"Just curious."

 

Though it makes Jessica feel a little tense, but surprisingly, she didn't find herself being uncomfortable by it.

 

"I didn't expect someone who is a heavy sleeper, would rather come so early in the morning just to see this worthless tree, all because she was curious."

 

And Jessica laughs along, she herself doesn't understand either. The first time she laid her eyes to the tree, something just clawed insides, feeling unreasonably sad. She always believes her own intuition. There must be a story behind this building, this tree, or maybe this girl. Just like Jessica and her bittersweet memories.

 

"I didn't expect someone was here either, I was told no one liked coming here." Her delicate voice echoes gently.

 

The latter's brow raises, trying to comprehend the meaning of the sentence.

 

Isn't it always like this? What's so weird about it?

 

She wonders.

 

"True, bet you wouldn't be surprised if I said you are first." She answers after pausing a while thinking there must be a reason.

 

Having herself alone in this old building is considered normal, but having someone else along with her is another story. That's the only weird thing, because she used to be alone there. No one likes this building, no one likes the tree, and no one likes her.... she is always alone.

 

This brunette is a new student.

 

Tiffany smiles at herself thinking it’s most possibly the right answer.

 

The school bell rings signaling classes will start in five minutes. Both girls make their visions down the building watching crowd of students rushing to class.

 

"It's time to get to class. Aren't you coming?" Jessica sees the other girl remains at the same spot, she doesn't seem to settle herself preparing to leave.

 

"Later."

 

"You're gonna be late."

 

"I'm always late." She chuckles lightly.

 

Tiffany takes a deep long breath, inhaling fresh morning scent with her eyes closed. But her expression becomes serious as she turns her gaze to look at Jessica, bitting her lower lip before she speaks.

 

"It's really comforting to see someone's actually come and not certainly disgusted by this filthy place."

 

A sudden confession.

 

"Will you come again?"

 

 

***

 

 

In class, Jessica couldn't help but to think the encounter with the mysterious girl on the roof. She didn't get to ask her name. But how? She never asked a name. People always say their names first when they want to be friends with her, she never lacks those kind of people in her everyday life.

 

But she's different.

 

And so much for a confused one, Jessica needs to ask herself what makes that roof garden girl different when she clearly doesn't even know a single thing about her. She recalls again their conversations, supposing the girl who owns the place and taking care of the garden all by herself. What else can it be if she was the earliest student to show up before Jessica. It can't be the janitors since inside the building was seen dusty and all.

 

"Will you come again?"

 

An invitation, that is how Jessica likes to think. She wouldn't mind to reveal herself up on the building often since it's the first place where she found herself could forget everything behind and breathe lively. Yes, it is strange indeed. And to think she wouldn't be alone up there, it gives out a nice and warm feeling somehow.

 

"Aren't you going to tell me?"

 

Jessica looks at Taeyeon questioningly, the latter seated across the table playing with a spoon while chewing her kimchi fried rice.

 

"About what?" She asks before sipping from a glass of iced lemon tea through the straw into .

 

"About why you've been smiling since morning." Taeyeon eyes her in excitement with a playful smirk.

 

"I.. I smile? What are you talking about?" And she couldn't believe of herself stuttered in fright, her lips curl upwards, brows forming a frown as she wonders why she's acting like a kid getting caught stealing a candy.

 

"It must be something nice happened that you might want to share it with me."

 

"No, nothing. Why would I smile when nothing much happened, seriously...."

 

"That's what I asked. You tell me."

 

The last sentence didn't fail to make Jessica rolling her eyes, it reminds her so much of a certain person she gets to see everyday at home.

 

"If you happen to meet my younger sister, I'm sure you two will get along very well." She let out a big heavy sigh. 

 

"I didn't know you had a sister. Do you have a boyfriend?"

 

"No I don't. Why?"

 

"It looks like you do, you were smiling like an idiot that you didn't even realize it yourself."

 

"You think too much." Jessica gets up preparing to leave the cafeteria as soon as she sees Taeyeon just finished her food, both of them heading their way to class for the next period.

 

"So how did you see it?"

 

"What?"

 

"The old library, I saw you came from that direction this morning."

 

And here Jessica tries not to smile, avoiding another useless argument to begin.

 

"I was around the soccer field." She answers simply. "I used to play soccer back in the states."

 

It wasn't a lie, but enough to make Taeyeon's eyes widen from surprise. She pauses from walking, following Jessica eyeing her with a confused expression.

 

"That's really surprising, Sica. How could I expect a pretty girl like you doing such a sport." Taeyeon says, her smile tugging her lips. "Too bad we don't have a soccer club for girls."

 

A thought suddenly runs through Jessica's mind as she continues. "How about baseball club?"

 

"Same, they are only for boys. Our school doesn't have much clubs to join. You're not going to waste your time for clubs in this school Sica, it is something unnecessary, that's how our teachers like to think."

 

Another pout formed on Jessica's lips, she feels somewhat disappointed. 

 

"Why? Don't tell me you used to play baseball too." Taeyeon grins.

 

"Nahh.. Just asking." She flips her hair trying to sound as casual as possible.

 

"I thought you went into the building. I was hoping you could tell me how it looks like."

 

"Haven't you been there before?"

 

"No. I bet no one has, because no one seems to like it."

 

Only silence comes out from the brunette. No words exchanged between them on the rest of the way. She tries to maintain her expression, afraid of getting caught smiling again. Until they reach the classroom and both girls move towards different seats. Jessica makes sure Taeyeon won't see the changing form on the corner of her lips with a word finally spoken in a quiet whisper where no one could hear.

 

"I'm glad no one likes to go there."

 

 

***

 

 

"How are you feeling today?"

 

"I'm feeling better. Unnie, we're going to school together tomorrow."

 

"I thought your mom ordered you to stay in bed for a couple more days."

 

"My mom was exaggerating. It's really nothing, just a little cold. I'm not that weak, unnie."

 

"Are you sure? I'm so not taking you to infirmary if you faint at school tomorrow."

 

"You don't need to. I'm all good, nothing will cause me to faint."

 

"That's great. So I'll see you tomorrow?"

 

"Yeah, see you tomorrow unnie."

 

Jessica hangs up her phone, smiling. She pours a glass of cold water from fridge before taking it with her into living room, and sitting leisurely on couch in front of television.

 

"Who was that?" Krystal asks curiously.

 

"Our cousin."

 

"Nicole unnie? How did she sound? Feeling better?"

 

"She sounded good. We're going to school together, starting from tomorrow."

 

"Cool. At least you have one more companion in school now."

 

Jessica didn't reply, a thought suddenly hit her mind, thinking of the girl she met at the roof. She came home a little late today, merely because she was waiting to see the girl again after school. It was a sudden decision, she suddenly ordered her driver parking the car near by the gate, waited patiently while gazing through a backseat window at the students walking out from school one by one.

 

She didn't see her.

 

Again Jessica asks herself why would she search for the girl.

 

She heaves a sigh with eyes closed.

 

What happened to me?

 

She rubs her temple with fingers before drinking all her cold water at once.

 

Stupid.

 

 

***

 

 

"Good morning, Sica." Taeyeon greets warmly, waving her hand the moment Jessica steps in their classroom.

 

"Hey, good morning." She replies with a smile.

 

"I saw you came with a girl, is she your cousin you mentioned the other day?"

 

"Yep."

 

"Which class is she in?"

 

"She's a junior."

 

"I see. She's cute, you Jungs have really good genes, huh?" Taeyeon grins playfully.

 

Before Jessica could answer, the school bell rings and all students taking their seats. While waiting for Mrs Kim to enter their classroom, Jessica takes a glance at a certain building outside the window. Yesterday's memory replays again in her head. It never failed to make her smile unconsciously.

 

Her gaze then turning down towards an empty seat near by, it's been days she came to this school but she hasn't seen the owner. It probably belongs to a boy since that Gyuri girl protecting as if her life was dependent on it that day.

 

Her boyfriend?

 

Jessica wonders.

 

The atmosphere of the class becomes quiet the moment Mrs Kim opens the door. The students stand up to greet her with a bow just like usual. Right after they sat down, the door's open again suddenly, revealing a girl with short hair.

 

Jessica's eyes widen.

 

"I'm sorry I'm late." The girl apologizes while bowing at Mrs Kim. All eyes on her instantly.

 

"You were absent for days, Ms Hwang." Mrs Kim voices out in a serious tone.

 

"I... I'm sorry Mrs Kim." The girl answers, stammering. She dugs her head down guilty with fingers balling the collar of the bag tightly on her chest.

 

"Are you really? The last time you said sorry for the same mistake was just two months ago." Mrs Kim adjusts her glasses inspecting the girl thoroughly. "You may be the best in this school Tiffany Hwang, but none of the teachers would like to see any of their students skipping classes occasionally for whatever reason, even if it's a top-notch student."

 

"I understand Mrs Kim. I'm really sorry."

 

"Explain it on your apology letter, I'm expecting it today. You may take your seat now." Says Mrs Kim following a nod from the girl.

 

Jessica tenses as Tiffany walks towards her way. As expected, the girl gets the same surprise noticing Jessica's presence in the same class, but she smiles when Gyuri greets her happily before sitting down on that certain seat near the window.

 

The brunette feels the heat is rising up to her ears when Tiffany offers a wider smile, the same captivating smile she saw on the roof.

 

Her name is Tiffany.

 

 

 

 

TBC